• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Pook said:
Oh, and by the way, to my American friends, "Welcome Home"  [:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/23/donald-trumps-love-royal-family-may-see-united-states-join-commonwealth/
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/backed-by-the-queen-commonwealth-invites-u-s-to-become-associate-member

"Make the United States British again" haha

On a more worrisome development,

Several MSM news organizations are banned from  White House Press briefings.

CNN, NY Times, LA Times and Politico.

CBC, CNN, CTV etc etc are all reporting this.  I'd provide links but the level of trust in media here is too low to give any one link.  Find it yourself from whatever source you trust.

CNN and their bullshit 99% Clinton polls, fake news, biased reporting and Brian Williams dodging RPGs?

No big loss there.

The part that is worrying isn't who they are banning or cutting off.  It's the fact that's they are doing it all.

Free press is an integral part of a healthy democracy.  Suppression of the media just because one disagrees with their position is not good nor is it democratic. This isn't some banana republic, it's the US.

Ive been in a running battle at times with people using words like Hitler and dictator.  It's hard to counter those statements when that administration does this sort of thing.

So you're essentially saying Trump is  just like Hitler?
Right.
Please don't tell me you're literally shaking as you post  ;)

But seriously CNN and friends blatantly supported Clinton with biased reporting (and bullshit).

Good on Trump for putting them in their place and making them accountable for the actions.  Play stupid games win stupid prizes right?

Jarnhamar said:
So you're essentially saying Trump is  just like Hitler?
Right.
Please don't tell me you're literally shaking as you post  ;)

But seriously CNN and friends blatantly supported Clinton with biased reporting (and bullshit).

Good on Trump for putting them in their place and making them accountable for the actions.  Play stupid games win stupid prizes right?

No I'm not.  I'm against using that comparison.  This kind of action doesn't help dissuade the notion though.  Biased media is a thing.  Breitbart is in but CNN is out? Both are biased but you ban the one you disagree with?

This is bad optics and bad democracy.  You want to hold them accountable counter argue, or take them to court over slander or lies.  But banning or limiting access to accredited media stinks.  I don't care how you want to justify it.

Remius said:
The part that is worrying isn't who they are banning or cutting off.  It's the fact that's they are doing it all.

Free press is an integral part of a healthy democracy.  Suppression of the media just because one disagrees with their position is not good nor is it democratic. This isn't some banana republic, it's the US.

Ive been in a running battle at times with people using words like Hitler and dictator.  It's hard to counter those statements when that administration does this sort of thing.

The media is not being suppressed. Just some MSM outlets aren't allowed in the White House Press Corps. That's the way it's always been. The White House also has the say in which orgs get to be there and which ones will be asked questions. Again, as it ever was. They are not being banned, they are not being suppressed. Just because some outlets had favoured status under Obama and Clinton doesn't mean they get to keep it when the POTUS changes. The sky is not falling. Free speech is not in the throws of defeat and those outlets that are not allowed, will have to wait until it's their turn again.

Instead of whining and complaining. They've spent the last 12 months demonizing Trump with fake stories, half truths and fake news. Trump would've been crazy to keep them.

recceguy said:
The media is not being suppressed. Just some MSM outlets aren't allowed in the White House Press Corps. That's the way it's always been. The White House also has the say in which orgs get to be there and which ones will be asked questions. Again, as it ever was. They are not being banned, they are not being suppressed. Just because some outlets had favoured status under Obama and Clinton doesn't mean they get to keep it when the POTUS changes. The sky is not falling. Free speech is not in the throws of defeat and those outlets that are not allowed, will have to wait until it's their turn again.

Instead of whining and complaining. They've spent the last 12 months demonizing Trump with fake stories, half truths and fake news. Trump would've been crazy to keep them.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and i did state worrisome not that the Sky was falling.  But this hasn't been the way it's always been.  The Press Corps association decides who gets seats normally.  What the administration is doing is not giving them access to the White House. This is a new way of doing it.  Nothing wrong with change but it looks like revenge politics to me. 

Why should the administration even let them into the building ? Every story lately from CNN to WaPo to NYT are made up stories.They can do that from anywhere. The media is being dishonest and Trump has called them out. It used to be that stories actually had sources not in Washington anymore and it has got to stop.

It was an informal briefing that Spicer thought could be covered by the press pool. A few other major organizations as well as smaller ones were invited to it. How can you see this as banning or barring organizations. The pool included Reuters, Bloomberg, CBS, Hearst Newspapers, CBS Radio, Fox, NBC and ABC. Tapper of CNN was on his soap box again. He climbed up on that when he called Trump's press conference a while ago "Unhinged". That is not a verifiable fact so it is certainly opinion, he shouldn't be doing that, he is a news reporter and not a opinion person. Today he said

"A White House that has had some difficulty telling the truth and that has seemed to have trouble getting up to speed on the basic competent functioning of government, and a president who seems particularly averse to any criticism and has called the press the enemies of the American people — they're taking the next step in attempting to avoid checks and balances and accountability.

"It's not acceptable. In fact, it's petulant, and indicative of a lack of basic understanding of how an adult White House functions," Tapper said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-bars-major-news-outlets-media-gaggle-200251496.html

Again, nobody was barred, it was decided to use the pool to get the info out. No need to get a knot in your face over this.

He's  your president. Enjoy.  :)  :cdn:

mariomike said:
He's  your president. Enjoy.  :)  :cdn:
We're hardly in a position to gloat...  Perhaps we should start a tally about election promises kept, JT versus DJT  [:p

cavalryman said:
We're hardly in a position to gloat...  Perhaps we should start a tally about election promises kept, JT versus DJT  [:p

:)  :cdn:

tomahawk6 said:
Why should the administration even let them into the building ? Every story lately from CNN to WaPo to NYT are made up stories.They can do that from anywhere. The media is being dishonest and Trump has called them out. It used to be that stories actually had sources not in Washington anymore and it has got to stop.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know, I know. The White House isn't Congress but the principle applies universally.

Just sayin'

:cheers:

kkwd said:
It was an informal briefing that Spicer thought could be covered by the press pool. A few other major organizations as well as smaller ones were invited to it. How can you see this as banning or barring organizations. The pool included Reuters, Bloomberg, CBS, Hearst Newspapers, CBS Radio, Fox, NBC and ABC. Tapper of CNN was on his soap box again. He climbed up on that when he called Trump's press conference a while ago "Unhinged". That is not a verifiable fact so it is certainly opinion, he shouldn't be doing that, he is a news reporter and not a opinion person. Today he said

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-bars-major-news-outlets-media-gaggle-200251496.html

Again, nobody was barred, it was decided to use the pool to get the info out. No need to get a knot in your face over this.

That's a fair bit disingenuous by Spicer. From ABC News (one of those allowed in):

The gaggle, which took place in Spicer's office, was being held in lieu of a traditional briefing in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room, which seats 49 reporters but is often filled with others who line the sides and back of the room.

and:

The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Politico and CNN were among the group excluded from the meeting. Upon learning of the restrictions, reporters from the Associated Press and Time boycotted the gaggle.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/news-outlets-excluded-white-house-press-secretarys-gaggle/story?id=45718876

:cheers:

tomahawk6 said:
I feel we are better off with Trump than you are with Trudeau.

Protests against Donald Trump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump

He's YOUR president. So enjoy! 

mariomike said:
Protests against Donald Trump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump

He's YOUR president. So enjoy! 

Well, there is no comeback to that one. You won. I now realize that the best way to judge the effectiveness of a government is to see how many protests there are against it. I see there doesn't have to be rhyme nor reason to the protests and neither do the participants have to have a clue why they are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back