• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Military Deserters in Canada Megathread

While he is an ultracoward, better going AWOL and whining like a sissy then actually going to war and getting somebody killed because he didnt have the cahones to pull the trigger.

First he goes through basic....doesn‘t apply there or tries to flunk out...why, because he wants his benifits

Then infantry school and Then jump training, then posting to a frontline combat unit!!! if he belonged to the 501st Latrine Maintenance Unit, then I might have some pity on him. He decided to join and thought that it would be cool to be part of a famous paratrooper unit. But when the time came for him to pay the piper he ran. I hope he enjoys breaking rocks in Levenworth.

At least the guys in the IDF who refused to fight in the West Bank, stayed to face the music for their choices.

If he‘s offended an doesnt like shooting at human shaped targets, learning how to fight/kill why did he even enlist........ he should have atleast thought about this before he thought that he‘d have it easy in the army(ie, housing, education, etc)

I guess lucky for him he didn‘t join the Marines if he‘s so easily offended or whatever..

Devildogs, Shocktroops, Blood-Sucking War Machines, Ready to Fight, Ready to Kill, Ready to Die but Never Will, Marines make the Blood Flow, Blood Makes the Grass Grow-Semper Fi Do or Die! oo-Rah!!

also, why are you people assuming he‘s Infantry? he could just be a clerk who doesnt want to be deployed to Iraq.

you guys do know he served in afghanistan, right? and why the **** are my fellow civilians calling him a coward? only SOLDIERS who have actually been in a dangerous place should be able to do that. it‘s easy to imagine yourself being brave on the net, or a place of absolute safety...

Originally posted by nULL:
[qb] you guys do know he served in afghanistan, right?[/qb]
Then it looks like more of an issue of, "take the money and run" then it does of being a cowered.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the Canadian Soldier if the situation were reversed. Not only would we want to kick his **s but the U.S. wouldn‘t look twice at us. There are many reasons to send the coward back home and a very important part of NOT keeping him here is that if we did it would be one big f***ing can of worms to deal with.

From the St Catharines Standard, Tuesday, 13 April 2004

DESERTERS FACE DIFFICULT REFUGEE CLAIMS

No Program to grant asylum to Americans who leave army, but lawyer doesn‘t rule out possibility

If United States Army deserter Brandon Hughey needs any information from Walt Lastewka, he can get it.

But the St Catharines MP stopped short of supporting the 18-year old‘s bid for refugee status in Canada, saying it is up to the Immigration and Refugee Board to determine if US military deserters are legitimate refugees. "It‘s not up to me to comment on that", Lastewka said. "But we should allow them exactly the same process as anybody else".

A private with the 1st Cavalry division based in Fort Hood, Texas, Hughey left the base early on March 2, the same day his unit was supposed to be heading to the Middle East. Three days later, he entered Canada at Niagara Falls. He is living with a St Catharines family as a refugee claimant.

"We have no comment on it right now", said US Army civilian staffer Dan Hassett in the public affairs office of Fort Hood. "The case is under investigation".

There is little precedent for granting refugee status to a US Army deserter.

"An American deserter, or anybody coming from any democratic country, is going to have an extremely difficult time getting refugee status in this country", said Thorold-based immigration lawyer Peter Jurmain.

"I find it very hard to believe we would be accepting American deserters or evaders under refugee determination. I don‘t think the politics would permit it".

Jurmain is not aware of the specifics of Hughey‘s case, but said in general terms there is no program to grant asylum to American army deserters. But he didn‘t rule out the possibility.

"Being a draft evader or deserter doesn‘t preclude you from making a refugee claim, but it doesn‘t entitle you to become a refugee", Jurmain said, "You have to look at the punishment such a person would face if returned to their country of citizenship. They could deem desertion as a political act, and perhaps they could find refugee status on political grounds. But if you are talking about an American, it is going to be extremely difficult and rare."

Lastewka said he supported Hughey as far as processing his refugee claim, but he wouldn‘tsay whether or not he thinks it is a legitimate claim.

"I don‘t think we should be treating those people any differently than people from any other country," Lastewka said. "They have their reasoning and they will have to explain their reasoning to the board>"

Immigration lawyer Jeffry House, who represents Hughey and Jeremy Hinzman, another US Army deserter holed up in Canada said Hughey has filed the proper paperwork and is awaiting a hearing date.

House said Hughey has a legitimate claim at refugee status, but recognizes nothing in law is a certainty. "It is pretty clear the war in Iraq violates International law," he said. "He didn‘t want to participate in such a war."

"If you think, as Khofi Anan thinks, as Hans Blix thinks, even as I would argue the Canadian government thinks, it is a manifestl unlawful war and you have the right to refuse it," House added.

Desertion is an act punishable by death in the US during times of war, but in most cases the penalty is determined by a court martial. A deserter has not been sentenced to death since the Second World War.

House said the penalty facing Hughey will form part of his case, but is by no means a pillar of his argument. "Canada does not remove anyone to face the death penalty," he said.

House expects Hughey to have his hearing by July 1, with a relatively quick decision.

A message left with Citizenship and Immigration Canada was not returned.

This country is going to wind up as the recipient for the world‘s trash!

That idiot should be turned over to the American Army and tried as a criminal. Deserting, in my opinion, is a serious offense and should be dealt as such. When you signed on, you signed with the knowledge that you might not be doing something that could be construed as right in your head..nevertheless it has to be done. Thats how you earn your payeheck. Jeebus.

"This country is going to wind up as the recipient for the world‘s trash!"

We arent already?

*cough*draftdodgers*cough*

It was only a matter of time, wasn‘t it? And what will this planned U.S. tour extension plan do in the long run?

I‘m not even gonna bother getting worked up over another coward.

I‘m just curious though. If we had a major mobilization and sent a good chunk of our military overseas, how many of our troops would do the same? I bet not too many, as they would just component transfer to the reserves and claim that they need to study for an exam.

**** the punk bitch coward. He‘ll have to live with being a nutless wonder cowering in the corner until the day he dies. I hope his family disowns him.

Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] I‘m not even gonna bother getting worked up over another coward.

I‘m just curious though. If we had a major mobilization and sent a good chunk of our military overseas, how many of our troops would do the same? I bet not too many, as they would just component transfer to the reserves and claim that they need to study for an exam. [/qb]
Yeah, we all know how useless the reserves were in WW II. :rolleyes: Just ask Hoffmeister or John Osborne.

It has nothing to do with cowardice necessarily but it is most certainly about stupidity, if we take his comments at face value. He joined the Army thinking he wouldn‘t be called upon to live up to his commitment.

Whatever. I still agree he is a criminal and should be returned to the US for a lengthy prison sentence, or the option of going overseas as scheduled to serve with a combat deployed unit - though the fuss he made about going should not go unpunished. Perhaps he should serve in Iraq until he has paid back all the tuition money he received from the taxpayers.

To make things worse, he‘s living in my home town!

I should find this guy‘s adress and administer an ***-whoopin‘!

Yeah, we all know how useless the reserves were in WW II.
I‘m talking about now, Michael. My comment was directed towards the fact that it‘s amazing how many reservists can‘t be called to take 3 hours out of their "hectic" lives as a student to show up.

I went to work Tuesday night, with an exam the next day at 9:00, and 2 more the day after. :D

However, our first ex in april had to be basically cancelled, because of so few of us showing up :(

Back