• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Military Deserters in Canada Megathread

I see nothing cowardly about deciding you‘re not cut out for the army... but if he became disillusioned during basic, why didn‘t he leave then or shortly afterwards?

Not arguing with you in any way Maj. Baker, as I said, I can‘t understand why he didn‘t apply to leave immediately after basic training, or better yet, during basic training...

I know i‘m still a civilian and shouldn‘t REALLY be contributing here, but I was just wanting to comment on somee things, perhaps pose a question....

Given the sanitized view of war these days....given the countless number of "action-commando-blah-blah" video games that show Captain Jimmy saving the world and carrying Private Bob off to safety in one piece....given the fact that the media is made to show war in a "popular" way (not showing US casualties, coffins arrival home etc.)....given that the majority of the public knows what they know about the military from action movies....could you blame someone for joining up with the wrong idea in their head about what they would be getting themselves into?

...and if they have a wife and a new child?

I dunno. I‘m not condoning it, but i would think that he joined with the wrong view in his head and feared for his life, and those of his family, were he to be sent to Iraq (and possibly killed).

What‘s wrong with being scared? It doesn‘t make you any less of a man. Unless you were in his position, it‘s hard to imagine what you‘d do.

Unpopular comment probably but who‘s to say what he was thinking?

I know i‘m still a civilian and shouldn‘t REALLY be contributing here,
Not true, everyone should be contributing here. Everyone in Canada has a right to know what their soldiers think, and why.

Given the sanitized view of war these days....given the countless number of "action-commando-blah-blah" video games that show Captain Jimmy saving the world and carrying Private Bob off to safety in one piece....given the fact that the media is made to show war in a "popular" way (not showing US casualties, coffins arrival home etc.)....given that the majority of the public knows what they know about the military from action movies
You need to watch better movies. Take another look at Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, When Trumpets Fade, Hamburger Hill, Platoon, etc. and tell me that there are no US casualties or suffering in them. Even better, check out We Were Soldiers; plenty of violence PLUS a view of the homefront.

....could you blame someone for joining up with the wrong idea in their head about what they would be getting themselves into?
Doesn‘t matter what they "think" a war might be like, they signed on the dotted line, had their education, dental, medical paid for, a GREAT pension promised, benefits for family. With that came the responsibility - well spelled out for them - that they might have to go to war some day.

I dunno. I‘m not condoning it, but i would think that he joined with the wrong view in his head and feared for his life, and those of his family, were he to be sent to Iraq (and possibly killed).
No ****. You don‘t think the other million US soldiers in theatre aren‘t in fear for theirs? Policemen and firemen fear for their lives, too, but they do their jobs anyway - because that is what they are paid to do.

What‘s wrong with being scared? It doesn‘t make you any less of a man. Unless you were in his position, it‘s hard to imagine what you‘d do.
This is irrelevant; no one is accusing him of being "scared", he is backing out on his commitments. That DOES make you less of a man.

Unpopular comment probably but who‘s to say what he was thinking?
It doesn‘t matter what he was thinking; what kind of moron joins the Army without considering the fact they might have to risk their life some day?

Null....Part of being in the military is knowing you can rely on your fellow soldiers, sailors and airmen. What message will this send to members in a military unit thats its ok to desert your unit in time of war if this guy is not dealt with. I feel sorry for his family but he could have done research or talked to vets. There are always options. Desertion though is not one!

No ****. You don‘t think the other million US soldiers in theatre aren‘t in fear for theirs? Policemen and firemen fear for their lives, too, but they do their jobs anyway - because that is what they are paid to do.
you know, i hadn‘t thought of it that way before. that‘s a really good point.

Major are you referring to the fact that his lawyer is a vietnam Draft dodger?

Birds of a feather, flock together I suppose.

Although it is somewhat different, there was a draft for vietnam, no Draft to run from for this war. He joined the army knowing it was the army and not scouts, he must have had the wits about him to figure this out if he could pass an aptitude test to get in.

I don‘t know how the U.S. army works, but would there not be a way that he could complete his contract and not have to sever as a combat arm?

I don‘t know what he was thinking when he chose joining the infantry, maybe he thought it would be different? less violent? less training on killing?(I hate giving sympathy for negligence but that the best I can offer in his defense)

Thi little cacksucker should be rounded up and shipped back to Bragg post haste. The only person to feel sorry for in this is the kid. It will have to grow up knowing Daddy was a cowardly waster who ran like a bitch. This punk also shows why harping on free housing and college money as enticments only hurt volunteer armies.

Maybe the military should put a huge disclaimer on every contract: YOU MAY HAVE TO KILL PEOPLE IF YOU JOIN THE ARMED FORCES. That way these cowadly little sh1ts can‘t say they didn‘t know about that little clause.

God, this story makes me want to wash my hands.

Here was just another guy looking for a free ride and when they told him that he might actually have to do what he signed up to do he turned tail and ran. He has truly no good excuse to why. I think without a doubt, no matter how stunted you are mentally, you know what the army does when you join. I do think that his case is different then a draft dodger though mainly because this idiot signed up to join. His number wasn‘t pulled by some civil servent telling him he would have to join, he made a conscience decision to not only apply, but to sign the contract too.

Portcullisguy,
Here‘s your chance to put up or shut up ;) An immigration question if we ever heard one. Where does our pinko government stand on the issue? There has to be some sort of notice or order in council that covers this stuff. Talk to us.

One would almost shudder and hold their breath when wondering what our Pinko government thinks about this. But...individualy they might be wankers and give him a place to stay but as a government they will send him back to the waiting arms of the U.S MP‘s. He came to the wrong Country. Maybe he believed the propaganda that says Canada is a terrorist haven and security threat to the U.S... Wrong.

I can‘t believe that a para from any nation would pull something like this...

He‘s not Para...he‘s a jumper :D

Regards

One last thing, why didn‘t he go to Mexico?

heh, you boys like meh-hee-co? Yee haw

Atleast this slug wasn‘t in the reserves and joined for the college money.

Throw his *** in jail, maybe take away his citizenship if hes not willing to fight for his country.

Recce Guy, if I see PortisCully Guy tonight I will ask him for you, but I am pretty sure he is Customs Officer not an Immigration Officer. Either way, given our governments record of allowing just about anybody to make a refugee claim, and then losing track of them, I wouldn‘t hold my breath. We (our government) has refused to extradite criminals to US in some cases because they might face the Death Penalty for the crimes they are charged with. If Canada wants start improving relations with US we can start by throwing this little turd out on his ***, and show anyone else with a like mind not to come here. :tank:

Back