• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Military Deserters in Canada Megathread

Anyone else wonder if no one has told Trudeau that Obama isn't getting re-elected?

I can only imagine the political fallout from harbouring deserters if the presumptive GOP candidate gains office.
::)

Had anyone told Trudeau they volunteered for the military? Does that mean I can just walk out on my country if I don't agree with my marching orders? Goose and gander and all that.

Tcm621 said:
Had anyone told Trudeau they volunteered for the military? Does that mean I can just walk out on my country if I don't agree with my marching orders? Goose and gander and all that.

For a man that has never served a day in uniform, I don't think he would necessarily care. Duty, Loyalty, Integrity, and Courage are OUR ethos. Not the Political Class.

Pissing off the neighbours is more of a deterrent to this policy than trying to explain values to someone that doesn't share them with you. After all, the military is just a slush fund for social development in a Liberal world isn't it?

The PM is engaging in virtue signalling to please the SJWs out there supporting those poor, poor, courageous souls fleeing an oppressive regime that forced them into uniform to fight horribly unjust wars. people who run out on their obligations, because it's 2016 and one shouldn't be held to a legally binding contract any more because feelz

rmc_wannabe said:
For a man that has never served a day in uniform, I don't think he would necessarily care.
Not the first PM not to have served in uniform - as was said earlier, goose and gander and all that ...
Tcm621 said:
Had anyone told Trudeau they volunteered for the military? ...
Good question right there.

Someone should remind the alleged* deserters that if they REALLY want to be martyrs to the cause, they'd do their time, then protest, saying "I've paid the price for my opposition to war x".

* - Only using "alleged" because most seem to have left before due process assessing guilt.

Getting back to the topic, most of the more recent crop of deserters were people who signed up for the pay and benefits offered by the US armed forces, but declined to carry out their part of the contract when they were activated or their units called up. Coming to Canada allows them to continue their parasitical lifestyle (get welfare or other benefits while in Canada), while not offering anything back. Taxpayers in both nations have a large enough burden without having to pay for even more freeloaders.

Regardless of our views of American foreign policy, military actions etc., this is essentially an issue between the American servicemember who knowingly signed a contract and the United States Government as the owner of the contract. (I make an exception for draftees, who did not voluntarily sign the contract). People who behave in this manner will offer nothing to our community; best to send them back ASAP.

FYI, just moved the "what kind of bad guy should have their citizenship revoked" posts here, where they're better ingredients for the already-started discussion stew.

Milnet.ca Staff

Chris Pook said:
This is how it is done. 

But Muhammad/Cassius was coerced into his situation by the state.  The modern "objector" voluntarily put themselves in that position.

7126a187e54d0028372dcc20042e7a83.jpg

Died on Friday at 74.
http://www.680news.com/2016/06/03/muhammad-ali-who-riveted-the-world-as-the-greatest-dies-2/

Back