• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons hiking prices on coffee, bagels

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Tim Hortons hiking prices on coffee, bagels
Updated Wed. Jul. 4 2007 6:02 PM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Tim Hortons will be kicking up their prices at outlets in Ontario, Manitoba and Atlantic Canada next week, charging about five cents more for coffees and bagels.

Western Canadians will be spared the increase since they were forced to fork over some extra change last year when the coffee chain hit them with a pay hike in October.

"We evaluate all our pricing, region by region," said Tim Hortons spokesperson Rachel Douglas.

The rising operating costs of doing business, from wages to fuel expenditures, are said to be behind the decision to increase prices.

Company evaluations showed customers in Ontario and Manitoba have been paying the same prices since early 2004. The last time Atlantic Canadians had a pay hike was in October, 2005. This time, prices are expected to go up between five and seven cents.

The price changes will vary from one city to the next, said Douglas. In fact, in some areas, it will only be select products that are affected.

For example, while Manitobans will have to pay more for their cup o' joe, Ontarians will just have to pay more for their beloved Timbits and bagels.

And it's not just because Ontarians like to eat more, Douglas joked.

"It has to do with the profitability of any given product in that region," she said.

Noel Comstock, a frequent coffee drinker living in Halifax, heard the news with disbelief.

"Seven cents? That's awful," he said, standing outside the local Tim Hortons. "Let's see. Now that's 14 cents a day. That's getting up - way too high. That's crazy!"

While some customers are counting their pennies, others are remaining as cool as their ice caps.
More on link

Hmmm... wonder if they are going to raise prices in KAF ???

I asked my son (the civi who worked there) if they are likely to raise the price....he didn't think so as they are apparently so busy they are meeting their costs (I don't know about the transportation costs though) easily.

Not sure what I think of the price hike...I love Timmie's but I don't think I am willing to pass the $1.50 mark for a large coffee...I usually have one to two daily at least...I have started brewing my own again and I am going to do more of that and less drive thru purchases...

HL

I know that a coffee in the Maritimes is 10 cents higher than in Ontario....which makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
I know that a coffee in the Maritimes is 10 cents higher than in Ontario....which makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

Regards

Samething goes for Alberta.  Why is a Large 5 to 10 cents more in Alberta, where they have no PST, unlike in Ontario which has both PST and GST, for a total of 15%?  You would figure that a Large in Alberta would be 7 to 8 % cheaper, not more......or at least equal in price, if there were really higher Transportation Costs.

Well we can agree on one thing at least, its still cheaper & better then pretty much any other big brand coffee. When you start paying $5 for a coffee you know Timmies has gone the way of Starbucks. Until then, make the most of it and send me a freakin' Donut! I'm hanging for one!

I'll still induldge in my couple trips to the drive thru en-route to work each week, for my usual double-double and Cherry Danish also every now and then :)

~Rebecca

Slight hijack, but related....  I love Tim Horton's coffee, but alas we have none in Arizona. A couple of weeks ago we went back to Maine for the first time in 10 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find not one but several TH's in the Lewiston,ME area. I bought a couple of cans of coffee to bring home and was even more pleasantly surprised to pay only $3.99 US/ can.  Mmmmmm

Coffee is more expensive in Alberta and they also have interact at every store I've been in. Ontario doesn't have interact stating something along the lines of "speedy service". Personally even with a slow interact machine, I will have paid the bill before my coffee and donut is ready for me. I just don't understand the double standard.

i was in alberta for a year and was grateful that they had interac. I am not a cash girl, all my purchases are from debt. Also less tax would not effect price as it is not money that they keep (you minus your GST paid from your GST from sales. That is the total cheque you send in). Also prices would be higher because their employees are paid more. When I left Hinton the starting wage was 10.50/hour.

I was at a Tim Hortons today and noticed they were accepting Mastercard with no signature required for purchases under twenty five dollars.

Skip__ said:
I was at a Tim Hortons today and noticed they were accepting Mastercard with no signature required for purchases under twenty five dollars.

I noticed this myself, at the drive-thru window the other day. I keep extra change in the car, so I'll likely stick to doing that  :)

~Rebecca

Skip__ said:

I think that is only for the master card speed pass.

doesn't  anyone make their own coffee anymore.
Timmies is like smoking, its addictive and bad for your pocket book and health.
So Timmie's raised their prices. Who cares, everyone will act like sheep and still go everyday and no one will complain about their crappy products. (lets face it  the quality really has gone down)
My big pet peeve is coming to work each day and seeing all the no minded drones going in to get their coffee's and fat pills. Cars lined up on down the street.  Not one of person gets out and  goes in to get served. 
Stupid Tim Horton's.

(This is my rant because they closed the local Robins Donuts recently)

I make coffee at home in the mornings, have one there and bring one to work with me but every once in a while I hit Timmy's for an extra caffeine fix.  ::)  Today I went and being shortly after 1000 hrs, there was a line up both inside and at the Drive-Thru.  I went over to McD's instead (they are only busy at lunch) and got a small coffee (equivalent to Timmy's medium) AND a cranberry-orange muffin (still warm from the oven  ;D) for only $1.47.  Since McD's changed their coffee a few years back, it's pretty good.

If I'm running late in the morning (which is usually) I can either stop at the non-drive-thru Timmies or (if I'm really late) the McDonalds drive-thru, I'm finding I like their coffee better & better (and the smell of McD's grease on the cup gives me my fat-fix without the extra calories).  ;D 

Now for my few cents worth......

1)  Is there still a slight savings if you bring your own cup for a refill?  If so (and considering the "green attitude we're being force fed"), perhaps it would be a good way to offset the raise in price - while also doing your part for the environment.  Why TH hasn't developed something recyclable yet is beyond me.  Ok, ok - costs, money, yadda yadda.

2)  I feel that as the CF has such a huge part of TH's success, perhaps those at the top of the company should put the increase based on when we get a pay raise.  Better yet, we should get a pay raise every time coffee prices go up.  I'm all for that!  We'll have a CDA and CCDA (Coffee Drinker's Allowance and Casual Coffee Drinker's Allowance).  Rate tables to follow.

3)  As for the credit card thing, i was surprised to hear that businesses actually can waive the necessity of a signature for a set amount.  Not just the $25 mentioned, my grocery store clerk did this the other day for an amount below $60.  Will have to research this some more - however if the person had "Check Photo ID" on the back, would they still do this for lower amounts?  Interesting.

Bin

A merchant does not have to accept a card that says "Check ID" since it is technically not a valid card. I too dislike no sig required but it has been done in the US for a few years.

Bintheredunthat said:
Why TH hasn't developed something recyclable yet is beyond me.  Ok, ok - costs, money, yadda yadda.

My theory is that they line their cups with a substance that makes people addicted to Tims.  Ever notice how when you brew their house at home it's just not the same?  If you were allowed to refill (recycle) the effect would wear off.
Maybe I've had too much of it today  ::)
;)

Back