• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Whole New Knife, Liz May, Gear Up, Racism Merged Thread

tech2002

Inactive
Reaction score
Found this on Global and Mail website
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080916.welxnmayknife0916/BNStory/Front

copy from the article

BILL CURRY

Globe and Mail Update

September 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM EDT

OTTAWA — Green Party Leader Elizabeth May took a shot at Defence Minister Peter MacKay today, accusing his department of cancelling a supply contract with a knife manufacturer in the minister's own riding.

Mr. MacKay's riding of Central Nova also happens to be the same one that Ms. May has chosen to run in as a candidate.

The Green Leader issued a statement Tuesday morning expressing her “shock” that Canada would end its knife contract with the Pictou firm.

“My next thought was what kind of other shoddy non-Canadian goods are being purchased for our soldiers in cost-cutting measures?" said Ms. May's statement.

Michelle Jamieson, a co-owner of the Grohmann Knives company in Pictou County, confirmed that after more than 20 years of successful bids, her company has lost the annual knife contract to a Chinese manufacturer two years ago. The company has since been unsuccessful at winning back the contract.

Ms. Jamieson said her company raised the issue directly with Mr. MacKay and then-Chief of Defence Staff Rick Hillier when they toured the Grohmann Knives factory in June.

The knives are used by paratroopers to escape from their parachute harness.

Ms. Jamieson said the Chinese-made knives look the same as the ones designed by her company except they say Made in China. She said the company has received many complaints about their poor quality from users who were not aware they are no longer made by the Pictou firm.

“It's too bad it had to look like our knife too,” she said. “It's kind of bad enough that [we] lost the contract, but it also looks like our distinctly Canadian design, that was designed by Canadians for Canadians by our company.”

Mr. MacKay said through a spokesman that he is encouraging local Canadian Forces units to buy local when possible. Mr. MacKay's spokesman, Dan Dugas, noted that local units can buy material directly from suppliers without going through Defence HQ if the total cost is less than $5,000.

“[Mr. MacKay] is encouraging them to buy locally because the Grohmann product is an exceptional product made by skilled workers,” said Mr. Dugas in an email.

The spokesman further pointed out that larger contracts must go to the lowest bidder.

“The Department of Public Works has awarded contracts in the past to Canadian companies on big orders, such as Grohmann and other companies, based on who submitted the lowest bid to get value for money, which is the law,” he wrote.

I am hoping this is not True..  ???

What!??

Is she suggesting that the MND should have somehow stepped into the TB federal procurement process to "pull strings" to keep the contract there ...

Is she suggesting that the MND should have somehow kept it there only because it was in his riding ...

Is she suggesting that the people in the riding should vote vote her because she would have somehow "arranged" to keep it there??

Wow. So besides being "green" -- the "Green" party is also pro-political pork barrelling (and here I'd have thunk they'd have a higher ratio of "vegans" in their midst than other parties - guess not).

So that's another party I can cross off my "maybe" list.

ArmyVern said:
Wow. So besides being "green" -- the "Green" party is also pro-political pork barrelling

How unlike any party once they get into power - she's learning quickly, isn't she?  ;D

ArmyVern said:
What!??

Is she suggesting that the MND should have somehow stepped into the TB federal procurement process to "pull strings" to keep the contract there ...

Is she suggesting that the MND should have somehow kept it there only because it was in his riding ...

Is she suggesting that the people in the riding should vote vote her because she would have somehow "arranged" to keep it there??

Wow. So besides being "green" -- the "Green" party is also pro-political pork barrelling (and here I'd have thunk they'd have a higher ratio of "vegans" in their midst than other parties - guess not).

So that's another party I can cross off my "maybe" list.

All about the soundbite. She likely knows the process and procedure, but it's just too easy to be stupid and point. Truth and procedure mean nothing to the Green party candidate, that last week called Canadians stupid. Must be because she was born in Conneticut.

Wiki ( ::)) has a rather good sense of her direction and 'life experience' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_May

NFLD Sapper said:
If I am not mistaken these are also the very same knives issued to all Combat Engineers too.

Also the same aircrew used to get.....the system was full of them for multiple jobs.

CDN Aviator said:
Also the same aircrew used to get.....the system was is full of them for multiple jobs.

There. I feel better now.  ;D

BulletMagnet said:
If the system is full of them how come I don't have one?

You're not entitled to one. Get jumping ...

Now, that was a silly question.

;)

BulletMagnet said:
I fill a hard Para posn......

Well that's new!!

Go to clothing ...

(Unless of course the scale has changed yet again ... Can confirm for you tomorrow though.)

BulletMagnet said:
If the system is full of them how come I don't have one?

I dont know.

The system taught you to avoid getting injured so why didnt you ?

;D

CDN Aviator said:
I dont know.

The system thought you to avoid getting injured so why didnt you ?

;D

The system (like me) didn't know he was now employed in an entitled position - our ESP fails us sometimes ... unless they tell us so.  >:D

Riggermade ... I think it's employed in jump posn now --- that's why I need to check ... and the damned baselined laptop ain't sparking up in my house tonight!! I am avoiding doing lesson plans like the plaque!

CDN Aviator said:
I dont know.

The system taught you to avoid getting injured so why didnt you ?

;D

I fell asleep in that class, How many time do I have to tell you....  ;D

In any case, the contract did not go to a Chinese company.  The bid was won by a distributor in Ontario.

ArmyVern said:
(Unless of course the scale has changed yet again ... Can confirm for you tomorrow though.)
While commonly used by Cbt Engr & Paratroops, the knife is not on the scale of issue for either.

MCG said:
In any case, the contract did not go to a Chinese company.  The bid was won by a distributor in Ontario.
While commonly used by Cbt Engr & Paratroops, the knife is not on the scale of issue for either.

Can you confirm this MCG?

NFLD Sapper said:
Can you confirm this MCG?
I can confirm both my statements.  FMAS can confirm the first point, and CFSS can confirm the second.

Back