• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Heh.... Coveralls, the old WW2/Korean vintage helmet...and the everpresent smokes :)

Edward,

The soldier is carrying a Sten which stayed in service in the regular army for a few more years. I fired annual classification on the Sten in 4 RCHA in Petawawa in September 1960, but then encountered the SMG for the first time on officer training a few weeks later.

The dress was pretty standard for the time across the army. In fact the army did not have proper field gear until combat clothing was issued in mid-1964. The press noted earlier that year that the Vandoos and D Sqn RCD were wearing battledress in the heat of a Cyprus spring, even though there was combat in depots waiting to be issued. We drew it in 1 RCHA in Gagetown in the fall. I got the second set in the regiment as I was the IO and Sunray took me with him to the QM to draw it. The issue did not include head gear so we wore bush hats and caps peaked winter, while the RCD sported berets and the RHC kept their balmorals (?).

Back to the appearance of the army in the field; there was little uniformity in dress, though some units tried. Most wore coveralls with rank stuck on, or not; a few units adopted surplus US Army field jackets. In the guns we favoured rubber boots on the Gagetown ranges. In the summer the army in Canada wore bush clothing, which was not issued in Germany. In retrospect it really was appalling, but we made up for it by excessive chicken sxxx in garrision.

E.R. Campbell said:
I thought I would add this just to remind us all of how far we have come in 50 years.

This picture, taken in 1956, shows soldiers from an operational, combat ready unit, in the field - dressed for training as they planned to fight. The rifle is the good old SMLE .303 bolt action, 10 round mag; I'm less sure of the SMG - I though we got the 'new' Sterling SMG around then but the folding stock looks like the 'old' Sten.

I dressed much the same up until about 1965 except that, by circa 1960 we no longer had to wear ties in the field.

BTW, for other old timers, Art Tompkins (2nd from the left, then a pte) was my platoon sergeant in 2RCR in 1967.

Although I'm not in that picture, I do/did resemble those fellows. Except we used FNs in Germany(57-59), and I was a Bren Gunner.

Drummy

Old Sweat said:
Edward,

The soldier is carrying a Sten which stayed in service in the regular army for a few more years. I fired annual classification on the Sten in 4 RCHA in Petawawa in September 1960, but then encountered the SMG for the first time on officer training a few weeks later.

I thought it was a Sten. I never fired the Sten. We had Sterlings in the Regt Depot when I did recruit training and in the Bn when I joined it (1960).

but we made up for it by excessive chicken sxxx in garrision.

Old Sweat - I'm sorry for the hijack, but I have to tell you that when I first read that, I thought you had written "chicken sex".... 

Old Sweat mentioned the custom of wearing hand-me-down (or pilfered) US Army kit. Below is photo (2PPCLI) from Korea showing that.

My favourite bits of unauthorized kit were:

1. A WWII leather jerkin that was handed down to me circa 1960 and which I, in turn, passed on when I got a nice soft job; and

2. Our "sweater, high neck" (an excellent item in and of itself, by the way) which we modified by having breast pockets (from woolen battle dress or bush jackets) and shoulder and elbow pads added.

Sweater High neck - now that's something I haven't heard of in a long time.
My favorite was a Brit Wooly pully with the shoulder & elbow patches. To finish it off, I canibalized epaulettes from a bush jacket - I think :)

Wow, i'm actually feeling a little young here!!  ;)

I remember the "cool" thing to have in the late 80's early 90's was the poncho liner ('mercan)along with the rain jacket.  I had one US Army cat offer me his M-16 for my sleeping bag on RV once... needless to say I kept my bag and he was charged for losing his weapon on the ex...

BinRat55 said:
Wow, i'm actually feeling a little young here!!  ;)

I remember the "cool" thing to have in the late 80's early 90's was the poncho liner ('mercan)along with the rain jacket.  I had one US Army cat offer me his M-16 for my sleeping bag on RV once... needless to say I kept my bag and he was charged for losing his weapon on the ex...

Ha!! That's the same one where I talked my US buddy out of his fatigue jacket ... just because we shared the same last name!! It didn't cost me anything but a 'lil Vern angellic smile!!  ;D

I still have that damn thing.

ArmyVern said:
Ha!! That's the same one where I talked my US buddy out of his fatigue jacket ... just because we shared the same last name!! It didn't cost me anything but a 'lil Vern angellic smile!!  ;D

I still have that damn thing.

Yeah, I got one of them too... not the angelic smile... a jacket!!  Traded one of my berets for it. Still wear it hunting with my Norwegian turtleneck - only a fool needs to be cold!! And when I think about that "angelic smile" it's cold shivers all over again!!  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Are you inferring that I am somehow evil??  :mad:

Noooooo... you're not evil... LOOK OUT FOR THAT LIGHTNIN...    :skull:

I wasn't quick enough!!

Panzer Grenadier said:
Is it safe to come out now or is lightning still coming down?

You're safe!!  She's only good for a burst or two, graciously directed to my immediate vicinity... or truck, hoochie, trench, what have you...

Loachman said:
Please do.

We were first informed that chest rigs were not allowed on 1-07 because it interrupted your ability to properly adopt a firing position in the prone. As anyone who has carried 10 mags as a rifleman, or 4 boxes as a C9 gunner, or 2 belts as a C6 gunner, there is not a comfortable prone position, especially when you have to jury rig your tac vest to hell and back, or carry boxes in a day bag. Also, if you had your tacvest contaminated or damaged, it could be immediately be replaced. 90% of our company had broken vests, and mine was not replaced for a month. In the meantime it was held together by guntape and paracord.

We also had it passed on to us by Army lesson learned that the tac vest held your guts in in the event of evisceration. He also informed us that death was imminent in the event of wearing an oregon aero kit in your helmet.

However the 2 RCR battle group command completely nixed unissued load carriage systems.... I will not bother to print the hilarious reasons for this, as it would require a new thread.

I heard it was nixed due to 2RCR being too closely located to the Infantry School.  ;)

GregC, thanks for that. I've now had my laugh for the day.

GregC said:
We were first informed that chest rigs were not allowed on 1-07 because it interrupted your ability to properly adopt a firing position in the prone. As anyone who has carried 10 mags as a rifleman, or 4 boxes as a C9 gunner, or 2 belts as a C6 gunner, there is not a comfortable prone position......

I can see that being a valid reason. But once you get any rig on with plates, soft armour and 10 mags on your abd/chest...there is no comfortable prone posn anyway. And if you are fighting at night with NVGs, traditional prone is pretty much useless.

GregC said:
We also had it passed on to us by Army lesson learned that the tac vest held your guts in in the event of evisceration.

Did anyone call BS on that statement? It will however hold your massive molson muscle from causing your shirt buttons to become dangerous projectiles after months of a daily KAF Tim's high carb ration.

Also, if you had your tacvest contaminated or damaged, it could be immediately be replaced. 90% of our company had broken vests, and mine was not replaced for a month. In the meantime it was held together by guntape and paracord.

We also had it passed on to us by Army lesson learned that the tac vest held your guts in in the event of evisceration. He also informed us that death was imminent in the event of wearing an oregon aero kit in your helmet.

I'm really going to lose my f**king mind!!!!!!!!!

I can replace any kit I sell, that breaks, faster than the CF can.  Yes I will put money on that.  However in 3 years in business I have only ever seen 2 broken pieces of kit.

So how do you get eviscerated, and yet the tac vest is still fine to hold your guts in.  Give me a break!!!!!!  I guess no one is wearing body armour either when it happens.

The Oregon Aero BLSS and BLU kit provide so much more protection over the leather, paracord and foam POS stuck in the helmet it's not even funny. 

I am so sick of listening to lame excuses for the gear that gets issued.

Back