• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

I want to be a fly on the wall when they announce to what ever Civil Servants that have sign off on this.
When you announce that you're going to allow part time amateur pilots carrying live ordinance to fly mach 1.5 fighter bombers over urban areas .
Those noisy sonic booming death carrying death machines. ....that are currently held together with gun tape and staples ( you wondered what happened to the office stapler , didn't you?)
And you know, that's the way it will probably be described .
Then you have to clear it with the politicians.
Good luck.
Part time amateurs?! These folks are the most experienced fighter pilots in Canada. They already fly with us part time.

Part time amateurs?! These folks are the most experienced fighter pilots in Canada. They already fly with us part time.
You know that, I know that .
But I am telling you that's how it will used to shut down the use of reserve pilots.
I am would love to see the use of reserve pilots.
It actually frightens me as to how little depth we have right across the board throughout the the Forces.
This is country is utterly unprepared to face an increasingly dark and unpredictable future.
There one two bright spots of course. We have a public that may finally actually starting to wakeup to that there's actually a world that exists outside our borders. And not not all the people in it are nice.
We have some Journalists who are aware of that and are equally frustrated with the situation and are speaking up .
I just hope we can avoid any crises in the mean time .
Sorry , I'm rambling here.

Last edited:
Looks south of the border

Lots of USAF Reserve and Air National Guard folks who fly for Delta/United/AA for their day job, and fighters/bombers/tankers as their “side gig”…
Have you known a time when any Canadian Government of any stripe allowed reality to interfere with their plans ?

Good point , but why did it actually take that for them do what was actually necessary in the first place .
It's a shame it actually takes something like that however.

I want to be a fly on the wall when they announce to what ever Civil Servants that have sign off on this.
When you announce that you're going to allow part time amateur pilots carrying live ordinance to fly mach 1.5 fighter bombers over urban areas .
Those noisy sonic booming death carrying death machines. ....that are currently held together with gun tape and staples ( you wondered what happened to the office stapler , didn't you?)
And you know, that's the way it will probably be described .
Then you have to clear it with the politicians.
Good luck.
They can always dust off this one:

Afghanistan?

I’m guessing the Chretien and Harper govts weren’t planning on investing more into the CAF, but ramp ceremonies on the news tend to change their COAs.

Solution: Don't go to Afghanistan.

We’ve allowed laser eye surgery for years now. Prob over a decade, if not longer, at this point.
You just made me realize how fast time really does fly...holy s**t...

"I remember the whole laser eye surgery thing being an obstacle for potential pilot applicants like it was yesterday"... Said in my shrivelled up old man voice

They are an Indian owned online news organization that, in the past, has been fairly pro Putin and Pro-Russian.

Can’t think of any reason any of that would lead to a hit piece on F35 procurement in Canada…
In all fairness, I don't think any news agency - regardless of their affiliations or affections - really needs to do an intentional hit piece on Canadian military procurement...

We write that material ourselves

RCAF: Fifth-Gen fighter jet transformation - Skies Mag

"The almost 10-year delay caused by political wrangling has in many ways benefitted the RCAF and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Instead of the original 65 jets requested by the Harper government, 88 F-35s are on order....instead of a mix of early block F-35s, Canada will receive the most advanced version of the Block 4 fighter"

F-35 Cleared For Full-Rate Production 17 Years After Its First Flight

"The F-35 stealth fighter has finally been cleared for full-rate production, 17 years after the aircraft first took to the air, and almost 23 years after Lockheed Martin won the contract for the Joint Strike Fighter...
the latest accomplishment is overshadowed somewhat by the ongoing saga surrounding the development and testing of the Tech Refresh-3 (TR-3) hardware configuration. This is a set of hardware and software changes that effectively underpin the F-35’s future capabilities, known collectively as Block 4...with ongoing delays to TR-3, completed F-35s are being parked as soon as they come off the production line and are not being delivered, until they receive these new features."

So Canada's dithering on the FFCP has benefited us in terms of the F35 being a more mature product and hopefully we dithered enough that once our jets come off the assembly line they will be ready to use.

Hooray?

RCAF: Fifth-Gen fighter jet transformation - Skies Mag

"The almost 10-year delay caused by political wrangling has in many ways benefitted the RCAF and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Instead of the original 65 jets requested by the Harper government, 88 F-35s are on order....instead of a mix of early block F-35s, Canada will receive the most advanced version of the Block 4 fighter"

F-35 Cleared For Full-Rate Production 17 Years After Its First Flight

"The F-35 stealth fighter has finally been cleared for full-rate production, 17 years after the aircraft first took to the air, and almost 23 years after Lockheed Martin won the contract for the Joint Strike Fighter...
the latest accomplishment is overshadowed somewhat by the ongoing saga surrounding the development and testing of the Tech Refresh-3 (TR-3) hardware configuration. This is a set of hardware and software changes that effectively underpin the F-35’s future capabilities, known collectively as Block 4...with ongoing delays to TR-3, completed F-35s are being parked as soon as they come off the production line and are not being delivered, until they receive these new features."

So Canada's dithering on the FFCP has benefited us in terms of the F35 being a more mature product and hopefully we dithered enough that once our jets come off the assembly line they will be ready to use.

Hooray?
With full production will this move up the delivery dates? Could save on refurbishing the F18s if it does

With full production will this move up the delivery dates? Could save on refurbishing the F18s if it does
I think like the CP-140 we will likely end up with the refit complete and F-35s start coming in at the same time.

I dont think there is going to be a change in production rate necessarily. This is a management phase that theyve been playing loosey goosey with

Back