• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

Dimsum said:
Do you know who doesn't get posted to Shilo/Wainwright?  Aircrew.

Wrong.

Call the CMTC G5 Avn and ask him what his occupation is.

George Wallace said:
After all your posts on this site, this indicates that you really have NO IDEA what you want.  Nor does it show any true dedication to the CAF on your part, with your total lack of understanding of what the CAF really is all about.  Have you not gained anything from your 'readings' of this site, (If indeed you have been reading what has been posted on this site.) and gained an understanding of what life in the CAF is like?  I am sure that any occupation one would apply for, anywhere in the world, would not change to adapt to the wants of the applicant, but expect the prospective employee to learn and follow the established workings of that occupation. 

With the above comment, I would be of the opinion that it would be best that you NOT join the CAF.  It would save a lot of time and effort, plus expense, of those who are in the Recruiting and Training Systems, and a lot less grief for those who would be in whatever Element/Branch/Unit that you may land up posted to.
I've been in 7 years. Thanks for your advice though. I will definitely talk to my recruiter.

I've been to shilo. I've been to wainwright. I don't like them. As a big city guy with a big city wife, we arent willing to torture ourselves with small town Canadian life for years. The CAF is nice, but with other options in this vast country of ours in big population centers it's not a must for me to stay in.

That's just how the needs of myself and my family are. Push comes to shove and family comes first.

Altair said:
I've been in 7 years. Thanks for your advice though. I will definitely talk to my recruiter.

I've been to shilo. I've been to wainwright. I don't like them. As a big city guy with a big city wife, we arent willing to torture ourselves with small town Canadian life for years. The CAF is nice, but with other options in this vast country of ours in big population centers it's not a must for me to stay in.

That's just how the needs of myself and my family are. Push comes to shove and family comes first.

Good on you.

Altair said:

Be glad you were not there in the 80's

Trump has plans for the Super Hornet? Where are they going with this? lol

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/trump-tells-twitter-he-wants-a-super-hornet-with-f-35-capabilities

AlexanderM said:
Trump has plans for the Super Hornet? Where are they going with this? lol

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/trump-tells-twitter-he-wants-a-super-hornet-with-f-35-capabilities

He's a good negotiator. His opening position is 'you suck 'cause you're too expensive so make me happy'.

Governments too often dance to the tune of big corporations who use various smoke and mirror approaches to limiting the buying decisions of their main customers: the Public Service on behalf Taxpayers. Costs can therefore be ratcheted up based on perceived vs. actual scarcity or risk.

I'm looking forward to seeing some hard bargaining on behalf of taxpayers in the future... too bad it's only going to happen in America.

daftandbarmy said:
He's a good negotiator. His opening position is 'you suck 'cause you're too expensive so make me happy'.

Governments too often dance to the tune of big corporations who use various smoke and mirror approaches to limiting the buying decisions of their main customers: the Public Service on behalf Taxpayers. Costs can therefore be ratcheted up based on perceived vs. actual scarcity or risk.

I'm looking forward to seeing some hard bargaining on behalf of taxpayers in the future... too bad it's only going to happen in America.

:cheers:

Thought.

What if Trump shut down the VTOL B model, going ahead with the less complex (and less expensive) A and C models only, then made the Marines buy the SH instead as an interim (yes, I KNOW it won't work on the LHD's) and told industry to come up with a new VTOL aircraft for the Marines?

I see many downsides to that (reducing the number of planned airframes) but it has some advantages.

One of Trump's big 'things' is to get jobs in the USA.....this would do that.

NS

I think it more likely that F35C gets canned replaced with SH, while A and B model production continues.

NavyShooter said:
but it has some advantages.

What are these advantages? I do not see any.

NavyShooter said:
One of Trump's big 'things' is to get jobs in the USA.....this would do that.

By dumping all of the effort and money expended to date and starting all over again, with the newer aircraft entering service twenty-plus years hence?

ringo said:
I think it more likely that F35C gets canned replaced with SH, while A and B model production continues.

I do not think that that is likely at this point.

NavyShooter raises an interesting question.  Considering that the marine assault ships are intended for just that, assault and that I would envision the primary purpose of the aircraft to be close-in support is stealth capability really a primary necessity or is the stol of greater importance.  The harrier was a good design for close-in support.  would a revamped harrier equipped with improved sensors to enable linking with navy F35 traffic from conventional carriers be a better alternative as in cheaper because of development costs or is it too late in the development stage of the B to abandon it now?  Bear in mind with your replies that I am not an expert.

YZT580 said:
is it too late in the development stage of the B to abandon it now?

I'd suggest that since they announced yesterday the overseas operational deployment of a squadron of F-35B's to Japan that it might be a little too late in the development stage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the C model that is both the most expensive version and the version that is having the most trouble rather than the B? They just reported a new issue with the C model regarding pilot pain during carrier launches and landings that will require a nose landing gear modification to fix. The C is also the only one not to achieve IOC. Here is a link to the nose gear issue:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/expensive-f35-snag-years-to-fix-2017-1

YZT580 said:
NavyShooter raises an interesting question.  Considering that the marine assault ships are intended for just that, assault and that I would envision the primary purpose of the aircraft to be close-in support is stealth capability really a primary necessity or is the stol of greater importance.  The harrier was a good design for close-in support.  would a revamped harrier equipped with improved sensors to enable linking with navy F35 traffic from conventional carriers be a better alternative as in cheaper because of development costs or is it too late in the development stage of the B to abandon it now?  Bear in mind with your replies that I am not an expert.

If you think of an Amphibious Assault in the traditional sense of troops rolling up in boats on a beach then no, stealth isn't that important; however, things have changed considerably with the advent of the helicopter and "over the horizon amphibious assaults".  This is especially relevant when you consider that primary role of the F35 is STRIKE.  The F35 will be used to punch a hole in an enemy A2AD network for the heliborne force to fly through.  In a sense, it acts as a COVERING FORCE and a SCREEN for the Main Body of Heliborne forces on the way to their respective objectives. 

Consider if the US had to repel a Chinese invasion of Taiwan?  How does an American naval force get close enough to recapture the Island of Taiwan without getting decimated by A2AD and how do you deliver the Marines on to an objective without exposing the main body of troops to an A2AD saturated environment.  This is where Stealth technology comes in to play. 

What is the true cost of the F-35? I have no idea if the figures in this article are accurate.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/12/trump-asks-boeing-to-price-out-advanced.html

Current cost is current cost for partners--but just airframe and engine:

...the Pentagon moved forward on its own with the LRIP 9 contract [US FY 2015, started Nov. 1 2014]. Under the $6.1 billion award, Lockheed will deliver 57 F-35 airframes. Including engines, the mandated pricing per aircraft amounted to $102.1 million for each F-35A...
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/unilateral-negotiations-still-in-play-for-f-35-cont-432564/

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Current cost is current cost for partners--but just airframe and engine:

Mark
Ottawa

Mark it is also only the lot cost and does not include other contract costs or modification costs

Well going by wikipedia, which i know isn't the best, thats only 4 million more then the estimated per unit cost of the super hornet (98.3 million). in the DoD FY 2017 budget $184.9 million is set aside to purchase two aircraft to replace loses. So thats 92.45 million each, ten million less then the F-35 LRIP 9 cost.  By the time LRIP 12 comes around I would suspect those costs to be equal if not less.

Back