• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Promote / Demote thing

Which rating system do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the rating system really any different than what happens at most units anyways?  I mean really...I know when I was a young Tpr, I used to think "that MCpl has his crap wired tight, but the one next to him can't command a rubber duck in a bath tub".  If anyone is worried about this feature being a popularity contest, how could it be?  There are just too many variables.  Anyone who is just going to randomly go around and pop off spec fire "demotes" each day at one particular person will eventually get bored of that and get a real life, won't they??

As for the system being not 100% effective, that would make it normal and subject to good ol human nature, IMHO.

Before the rating system, I am sure most of us had our thoughts on who was "bang on" and who was "wasting air" anyways.

I voted "get ride of it!" but now...I think it has its purpose.  

George Wallace said:
Because.......Many are too lazy to take the extra steps.

Could be quite true, although some how I doubt that pressing a mouse button one extra time will stop a vindictive/childish person from adding a negative rating to someones profile.

Only one way to find out though, if it is even doable.
Mud Recce Man said:
As for the system being not 100% effective, that would make it normal and subject to good ol human nature, IMHO.
+1

The problem I really see is if you make a comment to an individual that they may not agree with then they could give you a negative for not liking your point of view

Ratings mean squat. I don't use 'em, and don't pay attention to them.

The more active a user is, the more people will rate them. The more one steps into a thread to engage, ie a mod doing their job or a member of the site who is correcting someone or pointing them to a search etc ... the more negatives they will get, sometimes every 5 hours too from the one they have engaged.

It's especially obvious in the O Dark Thirty hours ... where there's only one other user on line with you ... and you know you aren't the one demoting people, but can see the ratings change.

Are there people ignoring the ratings altogether?? Darn right there is. Are there people using them properly for what they are intended?? Darn right there are. Are there people abusing them and slamming negatives onto people they've previously engaged every chance they get?? Darn right there are. Are there people pumping posotives onto their buddies every?? I'm quite sure there probably are those that do that too. Are there members that pump a posotive onto someone just because they've engaged someone the voter previously engaged?? Most likely. Are there members that pump a posotive onto someone just because he happened to make a post that slammed mods?? Yep, there's that too ... funny that the mod went down -2 ... and the guy who slammed the mods went up +2 within 10 minutes of the post being made. It's funny what you see occuring when you just sit here and hit the "refresh" screen button.

It's hilarious actually. So the ones who abuse it, and don't use the ratings system as it was intended by the site owner to be used ... kind of make the whole thing moot & inaccurate.

I've gotten quite a few people who've PMd me concerned because they keep getting slammed with negatives even though they haven't been posting. It's interesting indeed.

It's really too bad that the disgruntled can't get over themselves enough to use the ratings system in the manner and purpose for which it was intended by Mr. Bobbitt, the site owner.

I'm suprised this thread has gone as long as it has. The questions have been answered, and it would seem that by the amount of their posts here, there are only a few people that even care about it. Otherwise they would find some other thread or something else to do. The ratings means nada. They provide only the inept few that give negatives constanly with some sort of warped sense of superiority and gratification. A cybernet way of lashing back, instead of confronting their boogy man. Most of us have real lives to concern ourselves about. What some guy in Hong Kong, or anywhere else, cares about what I say on the internet is of very little interest to me. If you wish to counter someting I say, have the balls to post it. Don't be like a little school girl and give your opinion by secret ballot.

I am in a posiiton that deals primarily with Honours and Awards.  Therefore, I respond to comments or questiions as the rules are written.  Some people don't agree with them, but obviously the military functions on rules and regs.  Without them, how would one be able to tell who deserved what?

Scoobs said:
I am in a posiiton that deals primarily with Honours and Awards.  Therefore, I respond to comments or questiions as the rules are written.  Some people don't agree with them, but obviously the military functions on rules and regs.  Without them, how would one be able to tell who deserved what?

Well, see ... that's exactly how I feel. I can only tell them the rules & the regs that apply ... but I guess that if they don't like those & even knowing that it is not I (or even the CF who makes those rules) -- they can vote me the negative to make themselves feel better. That's why it just does not matter.

I actually had someone honest enough to PM me and say they just thought that I was "short" (ie rude) when I answered a boot question and therefore they gave me the negative. I guess that's all well and good too. At least I had answered the damn question for at least the 9th time in the past two years on this forum (as a search revealed to me -- eerily though the one who asked it for the 9th time ... got no negatives -- funny how that works) ...

In short, it doesn't matter, some people will never be happy. It really is as simple as that. You don't want negatives?? Simple: Stop answering questions and providing assistance to those who ask.

Scoobs said:
A totally different question, how is it that just yesterday I was at -4 and now I am at -7?  What did I do in the mean time besides post in this thread?  Does someone reading or in this post not like what I have said?  I invite anyone to send me a PM in regards to this thread, but why did I go down 3 when I have only posted in this thread lately?  This plus/minus system is being abused by some people. 

Scoobs, it might not be this thread though.  If people are catching up on previous days posts, they might stumble across an older post of yours to which they agree/disagree with and hence the scoring changes. 

Scoobs, that are some fragile people around who feel they can influence things with by repeatedly demoting others, maybe you got demoted simply because you agreed with someone else.  Think of it as collateral damage from an misguided missile.

I think when "promoting" or "demoting" someone the member doing it should be required to leave a comment which the member who recieved the + or - can read, not to mention see who is doing it.

Flawed Design said:
I think when "promoting" or "demoting" someone the member doing it should be required to leave a comment which the member who recieved the + or - can read, not to mention see who is doing it.

Hmmmm.....that would possibly stop anyone from abusing it anonymously, which has been noted by the DS, now wouldn't it?

Mike B, is this possible?

Regards

Freddy G said:
How about also noting what thread/post the user was promoted/demoted in?

Yup.

How I've seen it set up other places;

When you promote someone your also required to give a comment. Something even as simple as "good post" or "poor taste".
The person getting promoted/demoted can see who hit them (via the user CP/profile type screen) see which thread they are getting hit for and see the comments.

Some of the newer users may be reluctant to ding one of the established members however in the long run I think it's more productive to make people accountable. It will reduce people 'holding a grudge' or abusing it.

May I make a simple suggestion about the promote/demote thing.

I was on EBay and there is something allot like it.

Is it possible to leave the promote/demote, but to put in a section the the member promoting or demoting someone to justify his action.

(Like positive of negative feedback)

In that way, people will be able to know why I"m having a +3/-3 rating.

for example:

+1 Promote: Highly within the subject explanation, gave allot of info

or

-1 The opinion of the member, is out of subject or is not helping the thread

it could be within perhaps a 60 character max.

I don't know what you think of it. but it works on eBay.

mysteriousmind said:
I don't know what you think of it. but it works on eBay.

Hey, an e-Bay business model.  Maybe we also need a posting fee, that'll cut down on the crap content. 

I like the idea of a comment being required for the promote/demote thing.

I suspect some the system abuse comes from people not thinking through
the impulse to act.  Lots of Whooops! factor in the ratings.

Except for Vern of course!  She likes it when people fiddle with her numbers.

Flip said:
I like the idea of a comment being required for the promote/demote thing.I suspect some the system abuse comes from people not thinking through
the impulse to act.  Lots of Whooops! factor in the ratings.

Except for Vern of course!  She likes it when people fiddle with her numbers.

Quite a few threads are already filled with too much nonsense and useless posts. Let's not add to them. You'll post your reason, get demoted/promoted over it. Someone else doesn't agree with your view, posts to say so, discussion ensues and the whole thread goes south (again). Easy for you guys, not so easy for the mods, who spend more than enough time trying to keep things cleaned up around here.

recceguy said:
Quite a few threads are already filled with too much nonsense and useless posts. Let's not add to them. You'll post your reason, get demoted/promoted over it. Someone else doesn't agree with your view, posts to say so, discussion ensues and the whole thread goes south (again). Easy for you guys, not so easy for the mods, who spend more than enough time trying to keep things cleaned up around here.

The comment is personalized. Only the member getting the + or - would see it.

We already know who a few of the malcontents are who are abusing this system in their immature vindictive ways.  It is really surprising as to who they really are.  I am sure their 'professional' reputations would be greatly damaged should their pettiness become public knowledge.  For those reasons, I am all for the program to be changed and the person who is promoting/demoting having their names visible.  It would open the eyes of a lot of the membership as to the egos these people have and how childish they really are.  It will also dispel any questions as to why they may join the legions of BANNED from Army.ca/Milnet.ca malcontents and Trolls. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back