• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mbr in almost 7 years and only got his QL3/DP1 this summer

pensiveone

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a member who spent almost 7 years in the training system waiting for his clearance - having it expire a few times and then having to re-submit - never getting promoted (still no hook). Finally completed his DP1/QL3 in August. Now they'll promote him but will only backdate his pay to when he finished the course in August. To me, this is absolutely ridiculous. Is there any loophole or administrative precedent where he can get the back-pay he deserves?

This sounds horrible.

I'm not sure if anything can be done in the short term, I'm sure others will have better knowledge there. But I would submit a grievance anyways, they can take a very long time to resolve, so I would get the ball rolling sooner or later.

This member, has missed out on so much if he was held back from QL3 for that long. The system obviously failed him.

Sounds like they are following the policy properly as per CFAO 49.4 Annex A Table 1 (unfortunately in some cases for sure). It is similar to pilots who were wrongly being promoted straight to Capt where it should have only been Lt as per CFAO 11-6

Trade says SigInt Spec. If that's still true, I've seen some TSSA clearances that took so long that member expired their VIE immediately after completing DP1.

Trade says SigInt Spec. If that's still true, I've seen some TSSA clearances that took so long that member expired their VIE immediately after completing DP1.
I suspected the same although having owned a BTL it is amazing how many folks slip through the system through no fault of their own. Often though it is injury, aptitude/MOSID mismatch, personal aptitude/motivation and in very very few cases playing the system or a combination of those factors that cause long delays.

The other major factor (probably playing in this case as well) is some MOSIDs run limited serials of their courses in any given year with some only having one, so miss a serial and you are set back quite some time. Add in any of the other factors and the time can quickly add up.

Last edited:
Basically a 2 year shutdown of CAF training facilities likely didn't help timeliness either...

Back