• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
Couple more of these "people" caught..

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111108/poppy-donation-box-theft-arrests-111108/20111108?hub=TorontoNewHome

BELLEVILLE, Ont. — A man and woman face charges after money was stolen from two poppy boxes in a restaurant in Trenton, Ont.

Provincial police say two suspects took money from one box last Friday afternoon and returned and took money from a second box in the evening.

Forty-eight-year-old Wayne Enright and 37-year-old Theresa Marcotte, both of Trenton, are each charged with two counts of theft under $5,000.

Marcotte appeared in court Monday and Enright is due in court Dec. 8.

Meanwhile, a man has surrendered to Toronto police after poppy boxes were taken. Tomas Hvozdar, 26, of Toronto, has been charged with three counts of theft under $5,000 and failure to comply with a recognizance.

And police in Hamilton and North Bay are looking for suspects after poppy boxes were stolen in those cities last week.

Even if it wasn't policy to stand back and let the theft happen i would not expect any of the employees to try to stop it , they might get hurt.However pretty sure if any soldiers were ever around most of us would at least chase down the guy , consequences be damned!

Again ....  :rage:
Members of a veterans' group in London, Ont., say they're stunned after someone stole 10 poppy donation boxes from the group's office.

Officials say the suspect or suspects broke through a window at the Canadian Corps Association on Dundas Street last Sunday night and stole the boxes.

It's not clear how much money was lost.

Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney says in an email that he's appalled by the thefts in London.

"The money raised during the campaign helps ensure our veterans have the additional care and support they need," Blaney said.

"It is our duty as Canadians to show respect and honour the sacrifices of those who served and those who continue to serve our country."

Group spokeswoman Sherry Cornish says police could not get fingerprints because the suspect or suspects wore gloves.

"I was in shock to think that someone could do this to our veterans," Cornish said of the London thefts.

"To me this is really disgusting." ....
The Canadian Press via CTV.ca, 10 Nov 11

"The money raised during the campaign helps ensure our veterans have the additional care and support they need," Blaney said.

And why would the Minister of Veterans Affairs state that Veterans need nickles, dimes and quarters charity to "helps ensure our veterans have the additional care and support they need".

Just a WAG, but perhaps there are TB rules that limit what can be provided. The Poppy Fund would bridge that gap.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/bm_cartoon/Brucex11%5BRGB%5D.jpg

A relevant cartoon in today's online edition of the Halifax Herald.

ModlrMike said:
Just a WAG, but perhaps there are TB rules that limit what can be provided. The Poppy Fund would bridge that gap.
Ah, but there are rules, and there are "rules".

I don't know why we are surprised.

Most poppy boxes I have seen are on counters in small shops where the shopkeeper is busy. There are a lot of people people out there, probably most people, for whom the poppy is pretty much meaningless; there are many for whom a box of money fills their immediate needs wants.

E.R. Campbell said:
I don't know why we are surprised.

I'm more surprised people haven't learned to at least secure the damn thing down somehow, it only as a deterrence because it might make some noise when you rip it off the counter. I think it's out of a "I shouldn't have to chain a poppy jar down" type of feeling.

In St. John's there was an article at least a week ago that said there were already 4 poppy jars reported stolen... Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

I don't understand what happened to the poppy sellers in the UK this year but they were very few of them and I didn't see any collection boxes on any counters anywhere!  Usually they are readily available everywhere well in advance of 11/11 and I am able to buy one every day for a week!

I only just managed to get mine this afternoon which was a bit embarrassing as I was running a defence sector session yesterday without my poppy!  :crybaby:  But when I asked the people there they had problems finding poppies as well.

Bit of a shame as the UK are pretty generous when it comes the poppy collections.

The latest on this one....
milnews.ca said:
Again ....  :rage:
Members of a veterans' group in London, Ont., say they're stunned after someone stole 10 poppy donation boxes from the group's office.

Officials say the suspect or suspects broke through a window at the Canadian Corps Association on Dundas Street last Sunday night and stole the boxes.

It's not clear how much money was lost.

Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney says in an email that he's appalled by the thefts in London.

"It is our duty as Canadians to show respect and honour the sacrifices of those who served and those who continue to serve our country."

Group spokeswoman Sherry Cornish says police could not get fingerprints because the suspect or suspects wore gloves ....
The Canadian Press via CTV.ca, 10 Nov 11
.... from the London Free Press:
A London man accused of stealing poppy boxes from the Veterans Association is the son of the organization's president.

Ten poppy boxes containing a total of at least $500 were stolen Sunday from the Dundas St. office of the Canadian Corps Veterans Association.

Kenneth Maudsley, 22, of no fixed address was arrested Thursday on an unrelated warrant. He was later charged with stealing the poppy boxes, police said Friday.

Sherri Cornish, first vice-president at the Veterans Association, confirmed the accused is the son of association president Ken Maudsley.

Police said the elder Maudsley wasn't involved in the theft.

Officials believe the boxes contained between a total of $500 and $1,000. It wasn't the amount of money stolen but from whom it was stolen - veterans - that provoked anger among Londoners ....

Re:  this....
ballz said:
I'm more surprised people haven't learned to at least secure the damn thing down somehow, it only as a deterrence because it might make some noise when you rip it off the counter ....
I guess the question becomes:  how do you secure a tray and coin collection box made of the light kind of plastic used to make disposable plastic plates?

Bumped with the latest in one of the cases, this one in North Bay. 
Stealing poppy funds meant for war veterans was “disgraceful and shameful," a judge said Tuesday.

“This is a way for people to give charity to veterans. The money is intended to support veterans, not people’s drug habits,” said Crown attorney Sheila Seguin.

William McDaid, 31, asked for house arrest to tackle his drug addictions. Court heard his track record in Northern Ontario shows his crime sprees usually start as soon as he’s out of jail and he’s better off getting treatment behind bars.

North Bay Police Service released McDaid’s photo in November when he was caught on video surveillance at a convenience store during one of the thefts. He was arrested the next day.

McDaid was sentenced Tuesday to 18 months for a string of thefts between Aug. 16 and Nov. 7.

He took $250 from cash registers at a local restaurant and hotel, stole $60 worth of lottery tickets from one convenience store, and poppy funds from three other businesses and the Royal Canadian Legion in North Bay, Ont., the Crown said ....
QMI/Sun Media, 18 Jan 12

Covers wearing the poppy, flag etiquette, medals, and more.  This year poppies may be worn from Oct. 26 (last Friday in Oct) to Nov. 11

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/oth-aut/rd-js/doc/rd-js-eng.pdf

Pat in Halifax said:
I really hate doing this but for those in MARLANT (DIN msg):
http://ln6-hfx-q043300.halifax.mil.ca/messages/marlantgen/2012293000182.html
Specifically para 3
Sorry...
Pat

I have often thought of something more permanent as being a little more practical. I think if the wearing of the poppy is re marketed, then sales would not slump. If you are volunteering for your Legion doing this, don't ask people if they will 'buy' a poppy, ask them if they would 'wear' one. Tell them what it supports as most people don't realize it. For those who "don't have any change", I used to keep a roll of quarters on me and if it cost me $10 each night I was outside Sobeys or Cambodian Tire, it was for a worthy cause and I had no issues with it.

I do find it entertaining while standing in front of the local beer store or whatever this time of year judging who will approach me and what if anything they toss in the box. First year I volunteered I had a recent South Asian immigrant in Walmart try and haggle with me for the "cost" of poppies for her and her brood of kids. The kids obviously knew the significance and seemed a bit embarrassed by mom.  Saw  guy down on his luck cashing in the empties  and then taking most of the change and putting it in the box with a "thank you for your service." That was 5 minutes after some asshat in a luxury SUV with Vet plates roared in and nice dressed guy with military haircut but no poppy moved  past me in a hurry trying to avoid eye contact, go figure. Last year some numpty decided to waste my time by pointing out the recycled one from several years ago(old green centre)  he was wearing negating the need ti divest himself of his spare change.

I'd rather take a couple of pennies from some little  kid who gets it  than a $50.00 or $20.00 from some Bay Street type who doesn't.

Danjanou said:
I do find it entertaining while standing in front of the local beer store or whatever this time of year judging who will approach me and what if anything they toss in the box. First year I volunteered I had a recent South Asian immigrant in Walmart try and haggle with me for the "cost" of poppies for her and her brood of kids. The kids obviously knew the significance and seemed a bit embarrassed by mom.  Saw  guy down on his luck cashing in the empties  and then taking most of the change and putting it in the box with a "thank you for your service." That was 5 minutes after some idiot in a luxury SUV with Vet plates roared in and nice dressed guy with military haircut but no poppy moved  past me in a hurry trying to avoid eye contact, go figure. Last year some numpty decided to waste my time by pointing out the recycled one from several years ago(old green centre)  he was wearing negating the need ti divest himself of his spare change.

I'd rather take a couple of pennies from some little  kid who gets it  than a $50.00 or $20.00 from some Bay Street type who doesn't.

One thing that bugs me... in my area there's a particular table of Legion members, I don't know if they are relatives of someone who served or what but always hearing "would you like to buy a poppy"/"poppy sales" just irks me. By absolute technical definition, they're free and you donate... but I digress.

Years ago as a Cadet, I had a Persian youth about 12 or 13 years old come up and he asked if I would teach him about Veterans and Remembrance Day and the meaning of the Poppy. I had been Acting-C/RSM at the time and decided to take time out to teach this kid. We sat down and discussed it, he told me about his brief childhood in Iran and etc. We had moved back down towards the table my CO was sitting at so I could exchange my donation bucket and this kid's father came charging over, knocked boxes of poppies over and buckets of change over onto the floor yelling and shouting saying how the poppy is bad (we're "encouraging opium growth for funding oppressive regimes" he said) and that we shall be punished by Allah for trying to damage his son's innocence, blah blah blah....

Fast forward a few years, the kid is/was the Cadet RSM of the same unit I was with. A friend of mine who volunteered with the unit sent me a letter from him stating how he was embarrassed by his father and thanked me for teaching him the meaning and he wishes to give back to Canada for being so great to him so far. His father doesn't speak to him anymore. His father was in Canada for 26 years at the time of the incident, his father and uncle both served in the RCN (MARPAC at the time I think)... his father released after his 3 year contract and for whatever reason... bitter about all of it.

I like the metallic pin centre Poppies for my civilian outerwear. I have a different style pin that I wear on my civy-side job uniform only because they're pretty restrictive on what is permitted and what isn't (undress ribbons, Jump wings, are okay. Poppy, not okay because of the straight pin potential usage as weapon against us). The people at the Staff College had no problems with the pin in the attached photo. It's no bigger than the pad of the average thumb.

PrairieThunder said:
One thing that bugs me... in my area there's a particular table of Legion members, I don't know if they are relatives of someone who served or what but always hearing "would you like to buy a poppy"/"poppy sales" just irks me. By absolute technical definition, they're free and you donate... but I digress.

God sometimes the Legion is it's own worst enemy. Poppies are never sold and should never be referreed to as buying selling. You're right they're free  and if one wants a donation would be nice.

Danjanou said:
God sometimes the Legion is it's own worst enemy. Poppies are never sold and should never be referreed to as buying selling. You're right they're free  and if one wants a donation would be nice.

A pretty rickety elderly man showed up to collect the donation bins, he wasn't even wearing a poppy... it was the 10th of last year  ???

ObedientiaZelum said:
That's 3 poppy "donation" boxes I've came across with "these are not free" wrote on the side in marker.
Really?how much is the required donation?

That sounds like a problem with the specific branch in your area. Each box will also have the Legion Branch written on the back and it should be brought to their attention that what they are doing is not correct. I have been distributing poppies the last couple years and the Executive at my branch have always been explicit that we are distributing, not selling.

ObedientiaZelum said:
That's 3 poppy "donation" boxes I've came across with "these are not free" wrote on the side in marker.
Really?how much is the required donation?

2010newbie said:
That sounds like a problem with the specific branch in your area. Each box will also have the Legion Branch written on the back and it should be brought to their attention that what they are doing is not correct. I have been distributing poppies the last couple years and the Executive at my branch have always been explicit that we are distributing, not selling.

Agreed, contact the branch or probaly higher up in the  RCL chain of Command (Zone, District or Provincial Comd) . PM  me and I'll get you the contact info or send me a cell phone pioc of the box and I'll make sure someone is aware of it. Not only is this a big no no it is petty and self defeating.  And I was wondering how and where the RCL was going to screw up this year during Poppy season.

Danjanou said:
Agreed, contact the branch or probaly higher up in the  RCL chain of Command (Zone, District or Provincial Comd) . PM  me and I'll get you the contact info or send me a cell phone pioc of the box and I'll make sure someone is aware of it. Not only is this a big no no it is petty and self defeating.  And I was wondering how and where the RCL was going to screw up this year during Poppy season.

3 different towns believe it or not (well 2 and a city). I'll follow up on it.

Back