• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
Hawk said:
There's an update on the story about the poppy jar thefts in Nova Scotia in the online Chronicle Herald:
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9019147.html

It should be read right to the end for literary content!!!

Hawk

:rofl:

I caught that. Seriously? The editor missed that?

First para names the suspect.

Last para states that the police are not releasing the name of the suspect.

;D

Mind you, once someone has been charged they can release the name, at least in the case of how the CF runs things.  I think it may just be the paper making sure that the public knows that the source was NOT the police.

Perhaps they've started to celebrate Christmas at the Chronicle Herald! Bottom line, they charged this dude.

Hawk

Hawk said:
Perhaps they've started to celebrate Christmas at the Chronicle Herald! Bottom line, they charged this dude.

Hawk

Do they celebrate Christmas daily at the Chonicle Herald?    >:D

The names of people once and information is sworn is public domain. The paper only had to call the court house to get the name of the individual.

George Wallace said:
First para names the suspect.

Last para states that the police are not releasing the name of the suspect.

;D
Documents identifying a Beaver Bank man accused of stealing poppy money from a Tim Hortons shop in Dartmouth have been been filed with the courts.

Yes, caught that.  Court Documents identified dude, but the police hadn't released his name.

I searched and did not find a relevant news report, but this thread is a great place to post the court results from one of these yearly thefts.

CBC.ca

Poppy donation thief gets 60 days
CBC News Posted: Mar 4, 2011 6:30 PM AT Last Updated: Mar 4, 2011 6:30 PM AT

A 36-year-old Charlottetown man has been sentenced to 60 days in jail, to be served on weekends, for stealing a poppy can from a video rental store last November.

The can was estimated to have contained $20 to $30.

Richard Anthony Graves told the court he needed the money to support his girlfriend and their three children.

He's been convicted 12 times over the past 9 years for theft under $5,000.

Graves admitted to the crime and co-operated with police.

He said he's sorry for what he did.

Graves was also sentenced to one-year probation.

At the time of his arrest, Graves was already serving a weekend sentence for a previous conviction.

He has to pay the money back to the Royal Canadian Legion

kratz said:
I searched and did not find a relevant news report, but this thread is a great place to post the court results from one of these yearly thefts.

CBC.ca

Seems appropriate to me. Good to hear the followup on this.

Update from the CBC:

N.L. poppy money thief pleads guilty
Article Link
Posted: May 25, 2011 12:46 PM NT

A man caught on security video stealing money donated to military veterans for poppies on Remembrance Day has pleaded guilty.

Rodney Pritchett, 29, of Gambo, took about $50 worth of change from a Tim Hortons in the central Newfoundland community of Gander, according to the RCMP.

Police said the incident happened just before 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 11, 2010.

More at link

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2011/11/20111103-083628.html

TORONTO - Bob Hackett calls the man who stole a Canadian Legion poppy box belonging to his branch "scum."
The president of Branch 3 didn't mince words Wednesday about what he'd say to the person who stole the box from a pizza shop around 11:45 p.m. Monday.

"When you steal from the Poppy Fund, as far as I'm concerned, you're the lowest scum there is," Hackett said.

The bandit was caught by a surveillance camera as he grabbed the box sitting on the front counter of the pizza shop.

He fled with an unknown amount of money, but it couldn't have been much, Toronto Police said.

More on link... Guess its starting again.. At least they got his picture.

Sythen said:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2011/11/20111103-083628.html

More on link... Guess its starting again.. At least they got his picture.
Sadly, 'tis the season....

mover1 said:
The police have their hands full. What about the employees at Timmie's shouldn't they have a better handle on the boxes.
And your rhetoric about the broomstick ....really?!?! Honestly?!?! Just a lot of hot air and sounds dumb.
The poppy box here is just sitting on the counter, even if watched like a hawk it could easily be grabbed and out the door in two seconds or less, and I have been trained NOT to go after or engage with anyone who would do this but call the police ASAP.  Timmie's employees have probably been trained the same way.  The poppy box I have is not well suited to be tied down either.  Hope they catch the buggers.

Poppy boxes stolen from 2 Tim Hortons in Hamilton
http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20111103/poppy-boxes-hamilton-stolen-111103.html

Hamilton, Ont. police are asking the public for help identifying a man who stole two poppy donation boxes Wednesday morning.

Police say a male suspect entered a Tim Hortons on Ottawa Street North at about 5:30 a.m. and placed an order with the clerk.

When the clerk turned to fill the order, he grabbed a donation box and fled the scene.

About 30 minutes later, a male matching the same description also stole a donation box from a Time Hortons on King Street West.

The poppy donation campaign is run by the Royal Canadian Legion in the lead-up to Remembrance Day and money collected goes to help war veterans in the community.

The suspect is described as an East Asian man in his early 20s, 5'8" tall with a medium build and shot black hair. He has a goatee and was last seen wearing a dark blue jacket with a white stripe down the sleeve and a logo on the back.

Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to contact Hamilton Police at 905-546-4925 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

The robberies come little more than a day after donation box was stolen from a Pizza Nova shop in Toronto.

Police say a suspect grabbed the box off the restaurant counter on The Queensway near Royal York around 11:45 Monday night.

A little bit of good news.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111107/poppy-thief-suspect-surrender-mother-111107/20111107?hub=TorontoNewHome

A man turned himself into police early Monday morning one week after a poppy donation box was stolen from a Toronto pizza shop.

Toronto police said the 26-year-old man and his mother walked into a police station shortly before 4 a.m. and he was charged in the theft of two donation boxes over the past week.

More on link

mover1 said:
The police have their hands full. What about the employees at Timmie's shouldn't they have a better handle on the boxes.
If Tim's is like most franchise chains, head office will probably tell them to let the box go rather than get into a confrontation with the thief.  Other chains have the same advice if held up, too.  Sucks, but I'm guessing it's for insurance/litigation purposes.

Sythen said:
A little bit of good news.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111107/poppy-thief-suspect-surrender-mother-111107/20111107?hub=TorontoNewHome
A man turned himself into police early Monday morning one week after a poppy donation box was stolen from a Toronto pizza shop.

Toronto police said the 26-year-old man and his mother walked into a police station shortly before 4 a.m. and he was charged in the theft of two donation boxes over the past week.
More on link
Good to hear.

milnews.ca said:
If Tim's is like most franchise chains, head office will probably tell them to let the box go rather than get into a confrontation with the thief.  Other chains have the same advice if held up, too.  Sucks, but I'm guessing it's for insurance/litigation purposes.
According to my boss, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Back