• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PSAC Strike over (Pay Implications?)

cmdj1982

Reaction score
So, the strike is over and PSAC gets 12.6% pay increase over the span of 2021 to 2025 (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...eal-number-crunching-wages-salaries-1.6828500). From 2021 to 2023 that represents an 8% salary increase (9.75% if including the wage adjustments).

I've heard a lot that "if PSAC gets a pay increase, we get one too, and a bit more". Given that we just got a pay increase, does this mean we ought to expect a 2nd pay increase now that PSAC got theirs? Or does this have no implication on our pay rate whatsoever now that the strike is over?

If we are primed for a 2nd pay increase, what would be your best guesstimate that it might be? I keep having figures like "if they get 8%, we might get another 10% bump soon", but I don't want any false hopes, so I'm just looking to clarify/confirm.

Do we expect a 2nd pay bump for us soon? Or am I just confused?

The first 10% of what PSAC got was already covered by our Economic Increase announcement back in March, so there won't be another big bump coming.

Expect to get what was already announced in the EI. Maybe when all of the public sector unions have settled their contracts we'll see another percent or two added. Maybe we get nothing for three or four more years...

The first 10% of what PSAC got was already covered by our Economic Increase announcement back in March, so there won't be another big bump coming.

Expect to get what was already announced in the EI. Maybe when all of the public sector unions have settled their contracts we'll see another percent or two added. Maybe we get nothing for three or four more years...

Honestly, I feel like it's likely the latter. If I see anything more than what was already announced on my mid-July pay stub, I'll consider that icing on the cake. But part of me wants to believe that our pay increase got announced BEFORE the strike mandate took effect so they could use it as a distractionary tactic in negotiations. Kind of like: "Look, we gave CAF this, so if we give you better percent-wise, will you just please go back to work?"

Also, I feel like the word going around after our increase was announced that we might get more if PSAC negotiated higher than what we got was speculation that may or may not have been started to stem any anger towards those losing on the whole PLD/CFHD switcharoo.

But what do I know... I fix phones and internet... Sometimes...

Yep, despite the sell job of the first being an adjustment with the latter increase based on PSAC settlement on top I believe at best we will see a small adjustment to bring it all in alignment. Be happy to be proven wrong though.

Until there is ratification, I would not expect any public movement on CAF rate adjustments.

CBC news had a story that gave a breakdown of the PSAC raise over the four years.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...eal-number-crunching-wages-salaries-1.6828500

I find it very suspicious that the PSAC raise for each year is broken into a salary increase percentage and a “wage adjustment” percentage. Note how the PSAC salary increase matches the CAF economic increase (EI) for each year. It’s the added “wage adjustment” that brings their raise up to 12%. Why would treasury board separate it out like this? It seems like a logical reason would be so that the “wage adjustment” portion (extra 2%) could be argued as not being applicable to the military. Therefore, there’d be no need to make any amendments or additions to the 10% raise already given to the CAF for the 2021-2024 time period.

Salary Increase.png

PSAC also got a separate additional lump sum payment to offset cost of living but I’ve ignored it completely since everyone in the CAF knows they’re never getting that.

CBC news had a story that gave a breakdown of the PSAC raise over the four years.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...eal-number-crunching-wages-salaries-1.6828500

I find it very suspicious that the PSAC raise for each year is broken into a salary increase percentage and a “wage adjustment” percentage. Note how the PSAC salary increase matches the CAF economic increase (EI) for each year. It’s the added “wage adjustment” that brings their raise up to 12%. Why would treasury board separate it out like this? It seems like a logical reason would be so that the “wage adjustment” portion (extra 2%) could be argued as not being applicable to the military. Therefore, there’d be no need to make any amendments or additions to the 10% raise already given to the CAF for the 2021-2024 time period.

View attachment 77527

PSAC also got a separate additional lump sum payment to offset cost of living but I’ve ignored it completely since everyone in the CAF knows they’re never getting that.
We'll all get 400 more points for Clothing Online, but they disappear in October.

View attachment 77527

Woah woah woah, you aren't seriously suggesting the TBS would engage in slights of hand and semantics to stiff the CAF out of a pay increase are you?

Those are normal - different pots of money in the compensation reserve at TBS. Virtually every pay increase negotiated over the past 10 years includes those two elements.

So, the strike is over and PSAC gets 12.6% pay increase over the span of 2021 to 2025 (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...eal-number-crunching-wages-salaries-1.6828500). From 2021 to 2023 that represents an 8% salary increase (9.75% if including the wage adjustments).

I've heard a lot that "if PSAC gets a pay increase, we get one too, and a bit more". Given that we just got a pay increase, does this mean we ought to expect a 2nd pay increase now that PSAC got theirs? Or does this have no implication on our pay rate whatsoever now that the strike is over?

If we are primed for a 2nd pay increase, what would be your best guesstimate that it might be? I keep having figures like "if they get 8%, we might get another 10% bump soon", but I don't want any false hopes, so I'm just looking to clarify/confirm.

Do we expect a 2nd pay bump for us soon? Or am I just confused?
Normally we get a little more than PSAC. Maybe we will get an amendment CANFORGEN once ratification happens?

RCAF Comd Town Hall took place this week and basically said "before anyone asks the question (we've been asked every spot along the way so far), YES the CAF will see an additional pay adjustment comparable to the PSAC increase once it's ratified, and it will be backdated".

Didn't go into any detail, but there will be some additional increase applied to CAF pay rates after the PSAC agreement is ratified. My guess is likely to address the additional 2% wage adjustment PSAC received, so maybe we get an additional 2-3% bump or something.

PSAC members have not yet ratified that agreement. Until that is done, and the GoC also approves the agreement, don't start spending any extra money...

RCAF Comd Town Hall took place this week and basically said "before anyone asks the question (we've been asked every spot along the way so far), YES the CAF will see an additional pay adjustment comparable to the PSAC increase once it's ratified, and it will be backdated".

Didn't go into any detail, but there will be some additional increase applied to CAF pay rates after the PSAC agreement is ratified. My guess is likely to address the additional 2% wage adjustment PSAC received, so maybe we get an additional 2-3% bump or something.
Well, is a GOFO says so, must be what TBS will do.

I won't believe any of it until 2-3 pay cycles after it's applied.

Back