• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
TORONTO, ON, October 30, 2012

"McDonald’s Canada develops solution that allows employees to wear poppies to commemorate Remembrance Day:
Company sought counsel of Royal Canadian Legion to find option that balances food safety with the desire to honour Canada’s Veterans":
http://www.mcdonalds.ca/ca/en/our_story/corporate_info/press_room/PR_Remembrance_Day.html

( This was discussed in reply #381. )

Wait for it...

Junkies and other low lives are rubbing hands together getting ready to snag containers from poppy funds.......

....news articles a couple days later come out saying someone stole poppy funds from store X.

.....everyone get ready to be shocked and outraged by the theft (which happens every single year without fail)

Wait until next year to continue the cycle.  :facepalm:

Pieman said:
Wait for it...

Junkies and other low lives are rubbing hands together getting ready to snag containers from poppy funds.......

....news articles a couple days later come out saying someone stole poppy funds from store X.

.....everyone get ready to be shocked and outraged by the theft (which happens every single year without fail)

Since it happens often, we shouldn't be offended by it! Since we all know its coming, we shouldn't still be shocked that people can do these things! Because Pieman finds it tedious, we should stop caring!  :sarcasm:

I was not indicating that I found it tedious, nor was I indicating that one should stop caring.

Rather, I was trying to point out the cycle that happens every year. It's like watching someone repeatedly fill a tire with a small hole in it, and they act all shocked with the tire needs to be filled up again. The solution of course is to fix or replace the tire.

Perhaps it's time to look at a different way to collect the money. Or a way to keep the poppy fund boxes more secure. There are always going to be people out there who simply don't care and will take advantage of the situation.

ArmyRick said:
Treat the problems not the symptoms!

Yes, usually with a swift kick to the....oh sorry. I forgot, we have to be "nice" and "understanding" to our poor unfortunate brethern who have addled their brains with drugs and alchohol and have to resort to thievery to support their habits.

Jim Seggie said:
Yes, usually with a swift kick to the....oh sorry. I forgot, we have to be "nice" and "understanding" to our poor unfortunate brethern who have addled their brains with drugs and alchohol and have to resort to thievery to support their habits.

We do? damn I must have missed that memo at work. >:D

Pieman said:
Wait for it...

Correct!
A 29-year-old man is accused of stealing Remembrance Day poppy boxes from four different businesses in this southern Ontario town.

Police said they were able to identify the suspect with the help of video surveillance. The poppy boxes had been reported stolen from three Tim Hortons locations and a Wendy’s restaurant.

The man is charged with three counts of theft and one count of breach of recognizance.

He remains in custody.

And a 22-year-old Tillsonburg, Ont., man faces theft charges after removing a poppy donation box ifrom a Delhi, Ont., liquor store.

About around 2:40 p.m. Monday, a man was seen entering the LCBO store on James Street and left with the donation box.

The store manager gave police a description of the man, which led to his arrest.

“Regardless of the amount” the action was deplorable considering it was a donation box, Norfolk County OPP media relations officer Const. Ed Sanchuk said ....
QMI/Sun Media, 5 Nov 12

Sorry but theft of Poppy Boxes hasn't shocked me for several years now. I would find it shocking if NOT ONE box was stolen.

Not sure about the rest of you, but this has become so frequent, that any time I see a poppy box I find myself watching the people around it. 

2 Cdo said:
Sorry but theft of Poppy Boxes hasn't shocked me for several years now. I would find it shocking if NOT ONE box was stolen.

That would be more shocking than the thefts, which aren't shocking at all any more. What is shocking is there hasn't been an instance of "street justice" being handed out to one of these lowlifes....oops I mean poor misunderstood, disenfranchised, oppressed etc .

There was story (I think on here somewhere) about 3 Marines in civis being accosted by a mugger with a knife. In the aftermath, one of the Marines was treated at the scene for a minor cut while the mugger was taken to hospital with a broken leg, dislocated shoulder and concussion sufferred when he 'fell'.

Is this what you mean Jim?!

Pat in Halifax said:
There was story (I think on here somewhere) about 3 Marines in civis being accosted by a mugger with a knife. In the aftermath, one of the Marines was treated at the scene for a minor cut while the mugger was taken to hospital with a broken leg, dislocated shoulder and concussion sufferred when he 'fell'.

Is this what you mean Jim?!

This is partially true; a Marine was attacked, and his assailant apprehended. The injuries are an invented punch line.

Source: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/stabbedmarine.asp

In my local Timmies today, the poppy coin box is mounted on a piece of heavy plastic along with the debit/Timmies card machine.  8)

The Timmies employee said now they are trying to steal the poppy box.  ::)

ha, good one!  :D

The Timmies employee said now they are trying to steal the poppy box. 
Nice! Steal plastic poppy to sell off and buy an injectable poppy.  Should put a box of clean needles next the box of poppies now.

Just spent another full day out poppying (took a weeks vacation to do so this week  because 80% of Legion members can't be assed to adhere to the oath they took to participate in the poppy campaign). For some reason no one seems to want to try and grab the box from me >:D

Thanks for dedicating some of your personal time to participate, Danjanou  !    :remembrance:      :salute:

Just spent another full day out poppying (took a weeks vacation to do so this week  because 80% of Legion members can't be assed to adhere to the oath they took to participate in the poppy campaign). For some reason no one seems to want to try and grab the box from me >:D

Are you out distributing/collecting the donation boxes? Or selling the poppies in person? I  honestly have never seen someone going around selling the poppies directly before, just the donation boxes in stores.

Pieman said:
Are you out distributing/collecting the donation boxes? Or selling the poppies in person? I  honestly have never seen someone going around selling the poppies directly before, just the donation boxes in stores.

Do you live in a closet, or a small town of 12?

Seriously, you've never seen anyone selling poppies?

You served, why don't you belong to the Legion?

Back