• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Pine Street/ Valour Road VC Thread

Brian: Great to hear that this finally came off, even if 38 CBG units were not fully available. (I hope Nov 11 will see a more suitable presence?) Congratulations to you on this: I know that you were heavily involved in the project from the early days and that it was through your efforts as CO Bde HQ and later as CO 38 Svc Bn that the flame was kept alive at Valour Road when nobody else, CF or civilian, was even paying attention. Well done. Wish I could have been there.

Cheers

I live on Valour Road and find it very annoying that I cannot find any news about where the Remembrance Day services will be held this year on our street.  Will it be at the new Plaza?  or still at the corner of Portage and Valour as in years past?  Attending in our family is a surety, we just need to know where.

On 11 Nov the 38 CBG HQ will be there to conduct the ceremony. Address Sargant Ave and Valour Road, not Portage Ave and Valour Road)Timings 1030.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2009/06/26/9940616-sun.html

News Winnipeg
Best mural honours Valour Road heroes
Work tells inspirational story of 'real people,' says artist

By SUN MEDIA
Last Updated: 26th June 2009, 3:49am

Artist Charlie Johnston's ''Road to Valour'' mural was selected as the 2008 Mural of the Year. The mural commemorates Leo Clarke, Frederick William Hall and Robert Shankland, war heroes who all lived on Pine Street, later renamed Valour Road.

Road to Valour, put together by artist Charlie Johnston, was selected as the best mural of 2008 in Winnipeg by 33 judges in a contest organized by the Murals of Winnipeg website.
Johnston feels the mural, found on the north side of the Hallmart Building at the corner of Valour Road and Ellice Avenue, provides an inspirational story.

"Imagine if you will, just like any of us, three young men going about their life, suddenly rising up to the call and going off to a far-off land and making the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good," the 46-year-old said. "So I looked at it from that perspective. "These men were real people."

The work tells the tale of three young men -- Clarke, Frederick William Hall, and Robert Shankland -- leaving their homes on Pine Street (which is now Valour), experiencing the hardships of the First World War, only to find glory with the Victoria Cross medals and respect through the red poppies.
Road to Valour took Johnston a few months to paint.

He said one of the interesting aspects to its construction was the discovery of a hidden surface on the wall.

It helped recreate the old black and white picture feel of some of the images -- adding to the history of the piece.
"When we came to work on the wall, there was wood panelling," he said. "My sons, who are probably nearly as young as these men, helped me remove the old panelling off the wall to reveal the old stucco. That was part of the beauty of it -- finding that old stucco and using it to create the real look of the mural.
"It made it kind of special."

The Murals of Winnipeg website can be found at themuralsofwinnipeg.com.

Link to mural and story.

The project was finally completed on Sunday, 27 May 12 when the three bronze plaques were unveiled at the Valour Road Commemorative Park, at Valour Road and Sergeant Avenue, Winnipeg

Pictures of the prototype plaques, produced by Brunt Memorials of Winnipeg, are attached. The actual plaques differ as the picture is in bronze as can be seen in the next post.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/plaques-honour-valour-roads-war-heroes-154976285.html

Winnipeg Free Press – Nick Martin – 28 May 12

Plaques honour Valour Road's war heroes

Three men won the Victoria Cross

Family members of Leo Clarke stand next to a plaque honouring him following a dedication ceremony on Valour Road at Sargent Avenue on Sunday. He was one of three Victoria Cross recipients who lived on Pine Street, which was renamed Valour Road in their honour.

They were so young a century ago, the three of them walking the same block of the West End, some of those new houses they walked past still standing today, the horror of the trenches not even a dark shadow on the horizon.

Those three men are forever linked.

There is no Pine Street now -- in 1925 it was renamed Valour Road, and Sunday afternoon, a respectful and sombre crowd gathered to honour their memories yet again.

Hall, Clarke and Shankland all received the Victoria Cross in the First World War.

On Sunday, the three were remembered by aging veterans, multiple generations of descendants, young cadets and kids from nearby Clifton School quietly playing The Maple Leaf Forever.

In the memorial plaza built a few years ago at Valour Road and Sargent Avenue, they all quietly watched the unveiling of four plaques mounted on huge stones to commemorate the three men and the Victoria Cross.

Only Shankland survived the war.

"This is believed to be the only street in the world that had three Victoria Cross winners live on it," said Hugh O'Donnell, secretary of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada Association.

Three generations of Clarkes came to honour the soldiers.

"I was named after him," said patriarch Leo Clarke, whose father Charlie served in the trenches close to where his brother Leo died a few weeks after performing incredible feats in battle.

For many years, the family would go to the plaque at Portage Avenue and Valour on Remembrance Day.

"We used to be down there at the plaque by ourselves every year," Clarke recalled.

Then a principal named Mr. Oliver at Isaac Brock School decided during the Second World War that the children should all attend, he said.

Now that one plaque has been joined by the memorial plaza on Sargent, by a mural and by signs along Valour Road. People in the West End now come to Sargent and Valour on Nov. 11.

"Around about 400 to 500 people gather here," said Clarke, whose family has donated his uncle's medal to the Canadian War Museum.

"I was a little bit young in the last war -- I tried," said Clarke. He went to the recruiting office on Osborne Street, but a soldier who knew his dad recognized him and promptly ordered him home.

Clarke's son, Paul Leo Clarke, grew up hearing stories about his late great-uncle.

"From my dad, it was the story we grew up with," he said. "We used to go to the Remembrance Day ceremonies and walk with the veterans.

"Certainly, these kids are not forgetting," said the younger Clarke, indicating his children.

Justice Minister Andrew Swan, the local MLA, singled out Clifton School teacher Antonio di Geronimo for the work he's done to encourage students to remember the soldiers.

"He's the type of teacher you hope every student gets at least once," Swan said. "Sometimes you hear the despair out there that young people don't care.

"Here in the West End of Winnipeg, we certainly will remember them."

nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 28, 2012

Picture Captions:

Family members of Leo Clarke stand next to a plaque honouring him following a dedication ceremony on Valour Road at Sargent Avenue on Sunday. He was one of three Victoria Cross recipients who lived on Pine Street, which was renamed Valour Road in their honour.

Justice Minister Andrew Swan, Clifton School student Clarisabel Catipon, 11, and Coun. Harvey Smith unviel one of four plaques during a dedication ceremony on Valour Road on Sunday.

In the first photo, Mr. Leo Clarke, as quoted in the article, with his son Paul Leo, daughter Jennifer, his wife and Paul's daughter. Three generations.

See video of parts of the rehearsal (Pipe Band) and the ceremony at link.

The four Plaques were mounted on the ornamental planter, designed specifically in the shape of the VC's cross puttee as seen in the photos.

The plaques are mounted clockwise by date with the Victoria Cross plaque at the front, facing Sergeant Avenue.

Some photos of the street motif, the silhouettes of the three soldiers ( at the other side of the park ), and the mural across the street (not a part of this project).

I am happy this project has been completed. A long haul.

Very tasteful, a fitting tribute.  Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks very much for sharing.  An excellent way to celebrate our heroes, something that we in Canada collectively seem to have difficulty in doing.

A very well-designed tribute.  I look forward to seeing it in person this summer.  Thanks for the updates & especially the photos, rifleman62.

One last photo. This is the actual street sign used at every intersection along Valour Road vice the usual green with white letters.

It is hanging on my wall (the background). Not stolen. The City gave me one as a keepsake.

This story, which is unique, reports that the Canadian War Museum, is displaying the three Victoria Crosses won by men who all lived on Pine Street in Winnipeg before the First World War. It is reproduced from the Ottawa Citizen under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act.

War Museum completes its collection of Victoria Crosses from Winnipeg’s Valour Road

Ceremony to honour three winners of highest military honour who lived in the same block

By TERESA SMITH, Ottawa Citizen November 6, 2012 6:36 AM

OTTAWA — When Acting Cpl. Lionel B. (“Leo”) Clarke was faced with the choice to surrender to the enemy, or to fight his way out of the trenches against all odds, he chose the latter. And, for that act of valour on Sept. 9, 1916, in which he killed or captured 18 German soldiers and two officers, Clarke — then 24 years old — received the highest honour awarded to Canadian soldiers: The Victoria Cross.

Less than two months later he was dead, dying in the arms of his brother Charles at the Battle of the Somme.

On Monday, Clarke — who was born in Waterdown, Ont., near Hamilton in 1892 and moved to Winnipeg with his parents 11 years later and volunteered to go to war in 1915 as a bomber — was again honoured in a ceremony at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

It marks an extraordinary occurrence in Canadian military history: in different years and different battles during the First World War, three men from the same block of Winnipeg’s west-end Pine Street earned the Commonwealth’s highest military honour. And with the acquisition of Clarke’s medal, the War Museum now owns all three Victoria Crosses awarded to the men of Pine Street, which in 1925 was renamed Valour Road.

Each of the three men — and the 96 other Canadians who bear the honour — won it for “the most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty, in the presence of the enemy.”

Eric Clarke, Leo’s great nephew, moved to Ottawa from Edmonton three years ago. As a child growing up in Winnipeg, he says his great uncle’s feat of bravery was “a big part of the family history ... now it’s part of Canadiana, as it should be.”

Clarke’s Victoria Cross, which will sit with those of his neighbours on permanent display in the Royal Canadian Legion Hall of Honour, was displayed for years in a large frame in his brother Charles’ son’s dining room — along with three other medals he received and a photograph of the hero.

Charles named his first-born son after the brother he lost in battle and the younger Leo — Eric’s father, who is now 84 — has made it a mission to gather together letters, photographs and snippets of memorabilia about the uncle he never knew.

In a 1916 letter to his own uncle Arthur in England, Leo retold the event for which he was posthumously honoured: “You’ll be glad to hear that Charlie and I were both recommended — Charlie for the (Distinguished Conduct Medal) again, and I for the (Victoria Cross). I don’t know whether I can tell you all about it or not, but I killed 18 Germans, including two officers with my revolver alone. And, inflicted many casualties on the enemy with bombs. Also, put one machine gun out of action and all I got was a slight bayonette wound in my leg caused by one of the officers who I killed before he got me. I also got a sore back caused by the explosion of a German bomb — main thing is, I’m still here and very much alive.”

“That’s so laissez-faire,” said his great nephew, who mused on what Leo must have been thinking as he turned his revolver on the approaching Germans.

“If he was alone, that means his comrades in arms were dead so, how much of it was foolhardy, and how much was righteous indignation, and how much was duty? Who knows?”

“But, I would have liked to have met the man, I tell ya.”

The other men honoured on Monday had moved to Canada from Ireland and Scotland and, like many of their countrymen, returned to fight on the side of the Allies.

At the battle of Ypres on April 22, 1915, Sgt. Major Frederick William Hall — a native of Kilkenny, Ireland — refused to leave three of his wounded men to die on the battlefield. After successfully bringing two to safety, he was killed by enemy fire as he attempted to drag the third into the safety of the trench. His mother, Mary Ann Hall, was presented with his Victoria Cross.

Two and a half years later, on Oct. 26, 1917, the opening day of the battle of Passchendaele, Lieut. Robert Shankland led his men — alongside two other companies — forward to capture a German trench. Under heavy enemy fire, the other platoons retreated while Shankland’s remained, enduring a four-hour attack, and suffering heavy casualties. Shankland realized he and his men needed help so, under continuing fire, he journeyed back to Battalion headquarters where he provided a detailed report of the situation and a plan to counter attack. He then returned to his men — with reinforcements. The counter attack was successful and Shankland — the only one of the three men to survive the war — accepted the Victoria Cross for his leadership and courage.

For Clarke, the courage of these three men who happened to share a postal code is testament to the bravery of all who fight for Canada abroad.

“Rather than it just being those three guys — and the coincidence of the geography that they all lived on the same street — I’d like to take a step back and appreciate the magnitude of what these people did — and all the others who didn’t get the flashlight shined on their record.”

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Museum+completes+collection+Victoria+Crosses+from+Winnipeg+Valour+Road/7499276/story.html#ixzz2BSKEcqRh

There must have been some epic street battles or "cowboy and Indian battles" on Pine Street around the turn of the century! I remember the Heritage Canada vignette about these three. Very inspirational and reflective I think of the real disaster of the World Wars. Almost 100 years later and these 3 are still impressive.

I had the honour of helping organize a parade to unveil the Valour Road monument on 27 May this year. Astounding to think three VC winners lived on one street in Winnipeg. :salute:

It is believed that this is the only instance of three VC winners living on one street. Amazing.

And that is why we call Pine Street Valour Road.

My great-grandfather was at Passchendaele. I can't imagine what he went through - his military record states "debility" as the reason for reporting to field ambulance; though I never met him, my mother says he was in a gas attack.

Rifleman 62 - Looks like we done good buddy. Awful grammar to be sure, but very much to the point.

I don't know if you're on Facebook at this time but it gets noticed by folks just driving by sometimes - and they stop to take picture, video, and just plain visit. Then they post it on Facebook. Does my heart good.

For those who haven't seen them, here is a link to some of the pics from the 27 May 2012 Dedication Ceremony. They were taken by 38 CBG photographer, MCpl Greg Rutledge. You'll probably have to copy & paste the link as I'm not familiar with this site's buttons.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117042978234752447737/ValourRoadPlaquesDedicationCeremonySunday27May2012

jeffb said:
There must have been some epic street battles or "cowboy and Indian battles" on Pine Street around the turn of the century! I remember the Heritage Canada vignette about these three. Very inspirational and reflective I think of the real disaster of the World Wars. Almost 100 years later and these 3 are still impressive.

It and a few more...
Heritage

ME

I've always known about Valour Road but knew nothing about the efforts regarding the memorial.

Congratulations to all involved on a job well done.

I used to pass the mural on Ellice Ave and Valour Rd every day on my way to work. Its beautiful!

Hawk

Back