• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Pine Street/ Valour Road VC Thread

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone posted this on the 90th anniversity, but I always thought Winnipeg's Pine Street story was one of this countries greatest stories. 

On 24 Apr 1915, the gallantry of two Canadians was recognized by award of the Victoria Cross.  Company Sergeant-Major Frederick William Hall, 30, was fighting with the 8th Battalion (90th Winnipeg Rifles) near Ypres, Belgium when a wounded man lying some yards away called for help.  Hall endeavoured to reach him in the face of very heavy enemy enfilade fire, then made a second attempt.  As he was lifting the wounded man, Hall was killed by a bullet in the head.  He lived on Pine Street in Winnipeg, in the same block as two other Great War VC winners, Cpl. Leo Clarke and Lt. Robert Shankland.  It is believed to be the only street in the world to have this distinction.  To honour the trio, Pine Street became Valour Road in 1925.

And we remember Valour Road in 38 CBG every year with a special and separate Remembrance Parade at the Women's Institute plaque which is still the ONLY visible commemorative mark for this amazing and unique situation of three VC winners living within a few blocks of each other. Normally this parade is the special duty of the Bde HQ staff but sometimes we are joined by 17 Svc Bn, while the rest of the Wpg Garrison parades downtown. At the last one I attended, we had readings of In Flander's Fields and of the VC citations, the singing of O Canada by a descendant of one of the VC winners, Last Post, etc. The crowd seems to get better every year, and there are plans afoot to build a memorial park further up Valour Road.

It is sad (but perhaps typical...) that there is no marker, sign, or monument other than that small metal plaque bolted to a streetlamp, put up by the Womens' Institute in 1925. Unless you walked right up and looked closely, you wouldn't know what it was. Imagine if this was the US, with three Medal of Honour winners living on one street: it would be a shrine. We have some work to do.

Cheers

There is a plan and funding from the city and province to establish a memorial park at Sergent Ave and Valour Rd ( City bus loop). Also all the street signs and other details will be in a Valour Rd motif.The landscape architect, David Wagner Associates Inc, of Wpg, consulted with the local business and residents as well as a representative from 38 CBG. The plan was tendered in Sept 04. Bids were very high, contractors were busy, the weather was terrible, consequently the project was postponed until this year. Additional funding of approx $10 K is still required to complete the plan. Units Assn were requested to contribute as much as they could, with negative results. ( may be a quick letter to Paul is required!!). It is anticipated that Wpg Grn will parade for the official opening on 11 Nov 05. As a matter of interest, members of Leo Clarke's family attend every year, including Leo Clarke's brothers son. A niece is a Celtic recording artist, and she sings O'Canada etc. Another point, A/CSM ( held the rank of Colour Sgt ) Hall of the 8th Bn Wpg Rifles, was killed going back to get the wounded soldier. This is not well known, and is portrayed incorrectly in the Canadian Vignettes on TV. The Bn was to occupy a new trench. To reach it, they had to advance over an embankment (fwd slope) and down to the trench,. Thus he went back to get the wounded soldier, to bring him forward to safety.

Thanks for the update pbi and Rifleman62.  It's good to hear that they have not been forgotten.

Rifleman62 - Welcome to army.ca.  I have no doubt that your experience and commentary will be of great benefit to all of the members.  Regards.

Rifleman62, would you please keep me posted on the memorial park at Sergent Ave and Valour Rd? I would like to know if Wpg Grn will parade for the official opening on 11 Nov 05.

Regards.

Yes, I will keep you up to date through this means. There will be some time conflicts as Minto has a pde at the same time and the Camerons and the RWpgRif should parade at Valour Rd as the each have a VC to represent. The contruction is now going out for bid as of last week.

Rifleman62 said:
Another point, A/CSM ( held the rank of Colour Sgt ) Hall of the 8th Bn Wpg Rifles, was killed going back to get the wounded soldier. This is not well known, and is portrayed incorrectly in the Canadian Vignettes on TV. The Bn was to occupy a new trench. To reach it, they had to advance over an embankment (fwd slope) and down to the trench,. Thus he went back to get the wounded soldier, to bring him forward to safety.

That's not all they got wrong.  I reviewed that commercial here:

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/films/pinestreet.htm

Sad that they got so much incorrect.  Still an inspiring 30 seconds - I get goosebumps when I see it.

Aye, these are amazing segments. I mean even if there are a bit off, its great to see some grade A Canadian History shown to the public!

Hi Rifleman 62, A colleague is planning to visit Winnipeg from Hamilton and would like to attend the official opening of the memorial park on 11 Nov 05. How can I find out what time this is scheduled for?

Thanks

Hello all,

Felt the need to chime in here, as I am involved in this project from the City of Winnipeg and Camerons ends. The Valour Road project is moving forward, and there will be a ceremony around 11 Nov 05. There is some concern with actually having the ceremony on 11 Nov, as it will conflict with other services around the city, as well as with the Minto service (RWR & Cams of C play a major part). It is felt by many that the Valour Road service should be front and center for attention, and be on its own day.

One of the concepts being kicked around is to have the Valour Road service the weekend of Oct 31st. The reason for this is that it is a weekend before Nov 11 and immediately after Oct 26th. Why Oct 26th? It will the the 90th anniversary of one of the VCs, and so the timing appears appropriate. This has been forwarded to the person in charge of the project, who I work with, and they are starting to plan the opening service. I can post info here as it becomes available. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Cheers.

PS - PBI, you will be happy to hear that the RWR & Cams of C have taken the Valour Road service under their wings. There was an honour guard from the units last year, and there will be one again for the opening service. Cheers.

Can anyone tell me if there is a ceremony on Valour Road every year on November 11th? If so, will there be one this November 11th in view of the fact that the Valour Road Park is due to be officially opened this year and the date (as far as I can gather) is still under discussion?

Go to the top of this thread and read what pbi stated.  That should answer your question.

pbi said:
It is sad (but perhaps typical...) that there is no marker, sign, or monument other than that small metal plaque bolted to a streetlamp, put up by the Womens' Institute in 1925. Unless you walked right up and looked closely, you wouldn't know what it was. Imagine if this was the US, with three Medal of Honour winners living on one street: it would be a shrine. We have some work to do.

I live just a few blocks east of Valour.   When I first saw it, I knew exactly what that street commemorated and symbolized.   This was mostly due to the Canadian Heritage commercials that sporadically appear on tv.  

*edited for quotation.

Thanks for the reminder. One more silly question - is the Remembrance Parade on Valour Road at the Eleventh hour?

Just to set the record straight, The R Wpg Rif and the Camerons of C did not participate at last years Valour Road ceremonies; they have not taken Valour Rd under their wings; and they would be very hard pressed indeed to form a combined Guard Of Honour let alone a "honour guard" whatever that is.

Long ago, the now deceased Wpg Trg Det took all the new recruits and had a ceremony at Valour Rd. When 38 CBG stood up, the CO formalized the requirement/commitment, and it has been done by the Bde HQ's pers ever since. In order to beef up the military presence, the CO of 17 (Wpg) Svc Bn (the same guy) had the Svc Bn participate also. For a number of years the ceremony was done early, at 1000hrs, vice 1100 hrs. In order that personnel could back to Minto Armoury for the main parade. Last year Bde HQ's, for whatever the reason, changed the ceremony to 1100hrs, thus 17 Svc Bn did not participate at Valour Rd (partly because the CO was the Pde Comd and partly because the FGH was parading for the first time at MacGregor Armoury, and the R Wpg Rif/Camerons of C as "major players" would feel naked without Svc Bn).The R Wpg Rif and Camerons of C have not been there as units for many, many moons. One of their old RSM's (the same guy again) has never been there as an mbr of the R Wpg Rif. ERE mbrs of both units, on str of 38 CBG HQ attend.

At present the staff checks for 11 Nov 05 is ongoing, and soon the Comd of 38 CBG will issue his direction for this year.

For the last 2 years a Bugler from The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, CSM Frederick Hall's unit and a Piper from The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada, Lt Robert Shanklands' unit have provided the musical tribute. Of note is, prior to transferring to the 2nd Battalion to be with his brother, Cpl Clarke served with the 27th Battalion, which is perpetuated by The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

Nieces and nephews of Cpl Leo Clarke, including his namesake, Leo and his daughter, Jennifer Clarke always attend. Jennifer is a traditional Celtic singer and recording artist, and she has graciously consented to lead us in the singing of the National and Royal Anthem.

The project will be completed on 31 Oct 05. Last week a final tender was released for the silouettes.The official opening date has not been released for whatever reason, but will not be on 11 Nov 05. It will be after completion, prior to the 11th. It has been requested that the opening be on a weekend so that the Reserves can attend (easy to figure that date out). The whole subject for some obscure reason is touchy for the moment (not the committee or the Reserves). The committee wants this to be a National event, lots of publicity, large military presence.

The R Wpg Rif and the Camerons of C will be possibly be requested to provide a Quarters Guard each, Bands, etc. A National Flag Party is also required. Lots of planning to do, and not much time. Just waiting for the go ahead.

Hope to more info on date shortly, as a grenade has been thrown. The Bde Comd tasked a representative to the committee as a military coord 2 years ago. For those in Wpg Grn who are not this person, possible you should let that person do the job and get your oar out.

Although it is not offical, it appears that Saturday, 5 Nov 05 at 1100 hrs will be the opening. Wpg Garrison will possible be tasked to provide a Quarters Guard, Bugler, and a Piper. This is not the best date for us as 3 CITY courses, and 3 units are on exercise. Att is a picture facing  N from Sargent St.

It is official: 1100 hrs, Saturday, 5 Nov 05. The programme theme will be a celebration rather than remembrance, thus without last post, lament etc. No one seems to have an idea what to do, except speech's from provincial/city politicians. A plan will be put together by the 38 CBG representative. It will be very low key from the military, as everyone is on course/FTX. not even a Quarters Guard is available. The Bde Band is at a dress rehearsal for the Tattoo. Jennifer Clarke, the grand niece of Leo Clarke( third generation) has been confirmed to sing O Canada/The Queen, and one other selection. She is currently on tour in Europe. It is anticipated that Mr Leo Clarke, Jennifer's Dad, ( Cpl Leo Clarke's namesake, second generation)  will read the Clarke citation. A Rifles officer will read Halls', and a Cameron officer will read Shanklands'. So we will have family representation, both natural and military.

One street, three great men
West End plaza forever marks bravery in war

Sun Nov 6 2005

By Aldo Santin

THE heroic efforts of three young First World War veterans were recognized yesterday in a dedication ceremony of a commemorative plaza in the West End.
The new plaza at the corner of Sargent Avenue and Valour Road marks the contributions of Cpl. Leo Clark, Sgt.-Major Frederick Hall and Lt. Robert Shankland -- each awarded the Victoria Cross, the British Commonwealth's highest award for gallantry in battle.

It's believed to be the only time that the military honour has been given to three men who lived on the same street.

The trio was affectionately referred to as the "Pine Street boys." In honour of their sacrifice and courage, the City of Winnipeg renamed Pine Street as Valour Road.

"As we approach Remembrance Day, the important role these three young men played in our country's history should be forever etched in our memory," Andrew Swan, the area MLA, said during the ceremony. "This new plaza ensures that the sacrifice paid by these brave soldiers and other Canadian military will live forever." About 50 people attended the morning ceremony, including members of Leo Clark's family.

"This is a physical representation of their contributions," Paul Clark, the great-nephew of Leo Clark, said following the ceremony. "There were a lot of boys that went over there and a lot that didn't come back. We need to remember those guys as well."

The three men had lived on the same block of Pine Street before they signed up for military service.

Over an 18-month period from 1915 to 1917, the men's actions in battle resulted in each of them being awarded the Victoria Cross.

Clark and Hall died in action. Shankland, who also served in the Second World War and retired with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, died in 1968.

The new plaza was constructed five blocks north of where the three men lived. The plaza was designed by local landscape architect David Wagner, who was at yesterday's ceremony, and features Tyndall Stone monuments in the shape of the Victoria Cross.

The plaza is adjacent to a redesigned transit loop at Valour and Sargent. In the centre of the loop, Tyndall Stone blocks have been placed that will support a steel sculpture that portrays the silhouette of three soldiers in No Man's Land.

The plaza project was funded by the city and the province, but Coun. Harvey Smith said it was area residents who decided to use the funds to construct the tribute plaza.

"It's amazing to realize that 90 years after their heroic efforts, these three young men are still in our minds," Smith said. "This neighbourhood remembers these men even without a plaza." The ceremony began with Clark's great-niece, Jennifer Clark, singing O Canada. Jennifer and Paul Clark's grandfather, Charlie Clark, was Leo Clark's brother and the two men served in the same regiment.

"This makes our family proud," Leo Clark, Jennifer and Paul's father and the namesake of the war hero, said. "Leo was buried by the shelling that day and it was my father that dug him out. Leo was sent to hospital and my father never saw him again."

The ceremony included the readings of citations that detailed the three men's heroic actions. Paul Clark read his great-uncle's citation. Shankland's citation was read by Lieut.-Colonel Cameron Buchanan, the commanding officer of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, the same unit to which Shankland belonged. Hall's citation was read by Lieut.-Colonel Tim McManus, the commanding officer of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, which Hall had signed up with.

Paul Clark said his family used to mark Remembrance Day with a small ceremony at the corner of Portage Avenue and Valour Road but that annual ceremonies will now occur at the plaza, a more respectful setting for the day's event.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

Back