• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War Museum lands two more Victoria Crosses won by Canadians

Sgt.-Major Frederick Hall's medal is still in private hands.

It is held by the Regimental Senate.

How about the term: Gazetted. i.e. ORMM, Bravery  announcements appear in the Canada Gazette.

Pat in Halifax said:
Where were you guys at the beginning of this forum when I suggested that exact thought and got 'pounced'!

/\ - Spending 8 months of my life in Afghanistan with very little access to fast internet.  Just got back.

The Queens Medal for Champion Shot is, to the best of my knowledge, the only medal permitted to be worn by CF members that is won by the Top Regular Force and Reserve Force member at the Canadian Forces Small Arms Competition by achieving the highest aggregate of Stage one and two.  The dictionary definition of 'Win" mainly implies to finish first in a competition. The term 'Awarded' I believe is better suited for all other medals.

The definition you choose to apply does not cover all usages of the word, and its more common application primarily in that sense is a modern evolution.  The use of the word "win" with regard to other contexts is neither wrong in a dictionary sense, nor in usage among those who choose to understand its broader contexts.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/win

win

–verb (used without object)

1. to finish first in a race, contest, or the like.
2. to succeed by striving or effort: He applied for a scholarship and won.
3. to gain the victory; overcome an adversary: The home team won.

–verb (used with object)

4. to succeed in reaching (a place, condition, etc.), esp. by great effort: They won the shore through a violent storm.
5. to get by effort, as through labor, competition, or conquest: He won his post after years of striving.
6. to gain (a prize, fame, etc.).
7. to be successful in (a game, battle, etc.).
8. to make (one's way), as by effort or ability.
9. to attain or reach (a point, goal, etc.).
10. to gain (favor, love, consent, etc.), as by qualities or influence.
11. to gain the favor, regard, or adherence of.
12. to gain the consent or support of; persuade (often fol. by over ): The speech won them over to our side.
13. to persuade to marry; gain in marriage.
14. British Mining .
a. to obtain (ore, coal, etc.).
b. to prepare (a vein, bed, mine, etc.) for working, by means of shafts or the like.

–noun

15. a victory, as in a game or horse race.
16. the position of the competitor who comes in first in a horse race, harness race, etc. Compare place ( def. 27b ) , show ( def. 27 ) .
—Verb phrase
17. win out, to win or succeed, esp. over great odds; triumph: His finer nature finally won out.

I don't dispute the Dictionary definition of the word 'Win',  however the correct usage of the word or other words should also be looked at.

The GG site lists QM for Champion Shot as "who obtain the highest aggregate score in stages one and two of the Queen's Medal Competition."  The person who receives the medal wins it through achieving the top aggregate score, which is a mathematical calculation that is done right there on the spot after stage two and the medal is issued a couple of hours later.

As for the all of the Military Valour Decorations & Decorations for Bravery the GG description "recognizes an act of _______".  The person who receives these medals does so through the paperwork and committee(s) of his/her Unit/HQ/NDHQ, therefore due to his/her actions, he/she is awarded the medal.

It is my opinion that all CF Medals are awarded, with the exception of the QM of Champion Shot which is won.

And you are welcome to your opinion, it doesn't make the use of the word incorrect or disrespectful.

So, if you were writing someone up for a Valour or Bravery medal, in the supporting documentation that you would prepare and submit, would the last line of your recommendation be:

a. Recommend Cpl A win the Valour/Bravery medal
b. Recommend Cpl B be awarded the Valour/Bravery medal

Which sounds more correct?

Award recommendations for the world wars (which is the period of the medals this thread was about) that I have seen did not recommend that soldiers "win" medals either, you're stretching to find a semantic argument where there is none.

*A person or soldier can be recommended to be awarded a medal
but that person would have won it. And it would go down into history
that he won The Bla Bla Medal or he won The Medal of Bla Bla.

*An 'institution' awards someone something, which could be just about anything
and that person or those persons would have won it.  ( She won "The Little Miss Beautiful" award )

*Hey ! Someone should win an award for that ! ! !

*I won an award  ;D

*An award is created to be won where the criteria of that particular award are met

My :2c:

Back