• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Pine Street/ Valour Road VC Thread

The depiction in the vignette for Hall is wrong. Hall went back to try and save the wounded.

The 8th was relieving the 15th Bn in the front line on 23/24 Apr 15. To get to the fire trench the Rifles had to pass over a high embankment 15 yards behind the fire trench (you know: never go to ground on a forward slope).

The slope was completely exposed to observation and fire. Hall rescued two men under cover of darkness. At 0900 of the 24th, groaning was heard. Hall, Cpl Payne and Pte Rogerson went out. Payne and Rogerson were wounded and Hall returned with them. Only a few minutes later Hall went out alone. He crawled out, reached the wounded man, got him on his back. Glancing up, Hall got a bullet in his brain, and the wounded man was also killed. Deliberate aimed fire a contemporary report stated.

Global TV had a very nice presentation about Valour Road yesterday (Friday, Nov 9) on their news hour.  The reporter talked about the three residents and showed clips from the Heritage Canada vignettes.  A Major from the RWR was on hand to explain how the memorial was set up, etc. etc.  All in all I thought it was very well done.  Except for.....

The presentation showed a representation of a VC to depict to the viewers what the three soldiers had been awarded.  It was the Canadian version, not the British one.  Now I'm not faulting Global or anyone else involved.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I don't see anything nefarious in the presentation.  It's probably my fault.  I know too much to watch a war movie without nitpicking, or read a war novel for the same reasons.  This also carries over to documentaries and news presentations.  Sometimes I just assume that everyone has the same knowledge of the Canadian military that I do.

Having said this, the presentation is well worth viewing.  This minor glitch didn't detract anything from it.

Cheers,
Dan.

Dan,

Yes it was the Canadian VC. The Canadian VC was on the cover of the programme for the dedication of the four memorial plaques. I could not find a decent, printable, colour photo suitable for the programme, so cheated using the Canadian VC.

I informed Crystal Goomansingh Of Global News of the fact , informing her of the differences and stated Dan would not be watching her segment!

I guess Global could not find one either.

Brian Orton did a good job in the interview. Crystal was inspired by the view from the air of parks design, but that was the plan.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video/index.html?v=nCXuU_OoSueTLhjw11fH_aRFS43XM4B8#video

Rifleman62 said:
I informed Crystal Goomansingh Of Global News of the fact , informing her of the differences and stated Dan would not be watching her segment!

Brian,

It's funny because I'm not a regular Global news watcher.  The one time I change the channel early to watch 'Honey Boo Boo' and I catch the last segment of the news hour.

As I said it was a very well done news article.  And Maj Brian Orton did a good job putting the Memorial into perspective.

I remember, as a young lad growing up in Winnipeg, that there was history everywhere you looked.  And your parents knew it all and could tell you about all of it whenever the family drove past a significant site.  But Winnipeg was a lot smaller back in the 50's and 60's.  I remember my father telling me about Valour Road.  There was no need for a memorial back then because everyone in town knew the story.  The high school which I would have attended (had we not moved to Toronto) was named after Andrew Mynarski, VC.  It wasn't until I moved to Toronto that I had my first history lesson telling me that Louis Riel was a traitor!

Anyways, I digress.  Winnipeg is bigger and more cosmopolitan now.  If a memorial was needed, and it probably was, then the one that is there does the job beautifully.  Kudos to everyone involved.

Cheers,
Dan.

As an aside, Andrew Mynarski, VC, was for a short time, a member of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

Rifleman62 said:
As an aside, Andrew Mynarski, VC, was for a short time, a member of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

I did not know that.....til now. Thank you!

Back