• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Pacific - New HBO Series

More from "The Pacific":

On the train coming home:
"Hi, my name's Merriell Shelton. How about we go to the back of the train and you show me your caboose?"

"See that line of stars up there? That's Snafu's p____!"

"Emperor's God. Duty to God."

"You'll be dead in two days, don't wanna know your name."

"Plenty more exitement on the way, princess."

"You left a trail boy. They gonna find us now."

"I missed you, Kathy. But, my aim is getting better. I'm already workin' on your Christmas present."
( "Kathy" was a fellow Marine. )

"What do we do now?"

"Where you from, Hamm with two m's?"

"Oooh la la la...that is a nice piece of a**.."

"They can't f---ing surrender?" -Hamm
"I hope they don't. I hope we get to kill every last one of them." -Sledge

"What you say, BOO?"

"You gone Asiatic?"

"Thanks sledge hammer... dont worry Bill Leyden we got a nickname for you too...we will call you bobpin hammer. It's like a little hammer for a little man... a little joke for a little man"

"Seriously, I’m getting that yellow jaundice that’s been going around. I know it. The heebie jeebies. I’ll catch a fever then turn inside out through my ******* like Carson in love company. Come on, look at my eyes. I’m dying, Sledge."

"I like to watch the new guys sweat."

"Semper Fi..."
( Said by one Marine to another, as he tricks him into exchanging his new poncho with him.
"They put chemicals in the new ones. Chemicals that will make you sick." )

"I scrub drums for no man."

Well, every Wed night the series has aired with teh past 2 weeks having double episodes. Parts 6-7, and 8-9.

I was in a world of 'over-graphication' (it was almost too much at times), especially the parts 8-9, which openly displayed the horrors of war in the Pacific. I was relieved when part 9 was over.

I will say the series has been well done so far, and really cannot be compared to BoB, which dealt with a group of men from the same Unit. As noted on here, we are dealing with 3 different men from 3 different Units.

I am looking forward to the final part which will air a week from tomorrow as game one of the State of Origin plays tomorrow night.

I will be buying the DVD box set once released in Australia later this year.

OWDU

Well, last Wednesday, watched the final, Part 10.

No violence which as great, and good closure to the series, and at the end a summary of what happened later in life to the charcaters we had begun to know.

Overall very well done, and I will be getting the box set when it comes out here in Australia.

I guess, I'll close with the sumation that war is war, and the trauma associated with it never really changes, just the technology does as the decades roll on. I, like thousands who are returned soldiers can readily identify with the range of emotions one has to run the gauntlet, at times day in, day out, just to get through the day.

Regards,

OWDU

Hopefully, the American people will remember the cost: 354,523 United States casualties (106,207 killed, 248,316 wounded and missing). From a population one third the size it is now.
Thankfully, the invasion of Japan was obviated. Casualties on both sides were expected to be appallingly high:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Estimated_casualties

P.S. I liked what SNAFU had to say about if they had arrived home six months earlier!

McD said:
Anyone hear of a release? My searches have lead me to Amazon for pre-order, but no date set. I havent checked in a week or more however. Haven't caught an episode yet.
From the Digital Bits http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa180.html#060410

First, Warner and HBO have officially set The Pacific miniseries for DVD and Blu-ray Disc release on 11/2 (SRP $79.99 and $99.98). The DVD version will include all of the 5-minute Historical Background  prologues for each episode, along with 3 documentary featurettes (Making The Pacific, Profiles of The Pacific and Anatomy of the Pacific War). To this, the Blu-ray Disc will add a pair of BD-Java interactive options, including The Pacific Enhanced Viewing  mode (a 10-part, 10-hour PiP mode that offers interviews with historians and veterans, archival footage, maps and more) and The Pacific Field Guide (which allows you to search for additional information on the real historical events depicted in the miniseries and to view additional animated maps, extensive interviews with historians and veterans, historical footage, photographs and more).

That link takes you to the previews of the episodes witch look great but I didnt think I saw anything with a full episode . I can't wait for the release of it on DVD should be a good show to watch .

karl28 said:
    That link takes you to the previews of the episodes witch look great but I didnt think I saw anything with a full episode . I can't wait for the release of it on DVD should be a good show to watch .
Shoot sorry for the tease. I guess it wasnt my browser. Well till November then.

MCD
                  Hey man no worries lots of good short little videos on that link . I am excited about seeing them when they come out on DVD or Maybe Blue ray if I can get some extra cashed saved up .

Cheers Karl

As am I, it will kind of interesting to see a representation of the grounds modern hollywood style. Yeah I like picture menus :).

If I may make a suggestion Re: Blu Ray. Go for a Playstation3. Since my lap top got fried its been my "PC", works great as an internet browser with its rather "Kept simple, stupid" operating system. With the 4 due out prices will sink. :2c:

I just finished off the series last night, and I'm with some of the other posters on here: it's no band of brothers (if you're comparing the two) but on its own, it's a very well done series.  Although it has its flaws (like big gaps in the war, 'not as good' character development, etc) it was very entertaining and definitely something I will add to the collection. 

Episode 9 stood out for its battle sequences, nice visuals. 

Here in Australia, both Parts 8 and 9 aired together. I had been overdosed on the graphic violence portrayed in both 'intense' episodes, and I was relieved when part 9 ended.

I found the whole series excellent, and when this is released on DVD here, I will buy it for sure.

Part 10 was excellent.

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Here in Australia, both Parts 8 and 9 aired together. I had been overdosed on the graphic violence portrayed in both 'intense' episodes, and I was relieved when part 9 ended.

I found the whole series excellent, and when this is released on DVD here, I will buy it for sure.

Part 10 was excellent.

OWDU

Ah, I watched 9 & 10 together on VOD so maybe the 'too-much violence' and none-at-all balanced each other well.

What I liked about part 10 was the closure of all the characters at the end.  It's nice to see how their lives played out once they were home.  One thing I found odd was how Snafu never spoke to anyone he served with until 30 years later, but then again, he was kind of an oddball to begin with. 

I read that over 400 Americans were killed every ten square miles on Okinawa. Winston Churchill called the Battle of Okinawa "among the most intense and famous in military history.":
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimEigo#p/u/8/9GGv8gdXuo0

One thing that I was impressed with was how well the casting was done.  The actors were very close in appearance physically to the men they were portraying. 

jollyjacktar said:
One thing that I was impressed with was how well the casting was done.  The actors were very close in appearance physically to the men they were portraying.

HBO Is rather good for this, well those who do the mini series casting. Although acting the part is a huge part. What comes to mind is 'Generation Kill' Sgt Brad Colbert - Skarsgård doubles. Cpl Josh Person - James Ransone, portrayed extremely close to how Wright described him in the book, so it didnt matter they look nothing alike. Havent seen the actor playing Basilone yet. Or "Chesty" haha

mariomike said:
I read that over 400 Americans were killed every ten square miles on Okinawa. Winston Churchill called the Battle of Okinawa "among the most intense and famous in military history.":
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimEigo#p/u/8/9GGv8gdXuo0
Kihachi Okamoto's 1971 "Gekido no showashi: Okinawa kessen" is a great movie, if a little dated, from the Japanese point of view. Well worth watching.

Back