• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Pacific - New HBO Series

Rifleman62

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
See prior thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/38606.0.html

Cut and paste info.

Coming in 2110. The Pacific is being produced by Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman in association with HBO Films, Playtone, Dreamworks, and Seven Network. A 10-part mini-series from the creators of "Band of Brothers" telling the intertwined stories of three Marines during America's battle with the Japanese in the Pacific during World War II. The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. (two excellent books). The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages.

Trailer: http://www.hbo.com/events/pacific/video.html

Fan site: http://www.pacificfans.com/

Wikipedia

Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone (November 4, 1916 – February 19, 1945) was a United States Marine who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Guadalcanal during World War II. He was the first enlisted Marine to receive the Medal of Honor during World War II and the only enlisted man to receive both the Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross.

He held off 3,000 Japanese troops at Guadalcanal, after his 15-member unit was reduced to three men. Basilone was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of Iwo Jima, after which he was posthumously honored with the Navy Cross. He is the only enlisted Marine in World War II to have received the Medal of Honor, the Navy Cross, and a Purple Heart. Basilone is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

John Basilone was one of a family of ten children. Born in Buffalo, New York, on November 4, 1916, to Italian parents, he went to St. Bernard Parochial School in Raritan, New Jersey and enlisted in the United States Army at the age of 18. After completing his three-year enlistment in the Philippines, where he was a champion boxer, he came home and went to work as a truck driver in Reisterstown, Maryland.

In July 1940, he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in Baltimore, Maryland, believing that he could return to Manila quicker with the Marines than with the Army. Before going to the Solomon Islands he saw service at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in addition to training at the Marine Corps Base Quantico, Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island and Camp Lejeune, then called New River.

Gunnery Sergeant Basilone's buddies on Guadalcanal called him "Manila John" because he had served with the Army in The Philippines before enlisting in the Marine Corps.

Private First Class Nash W. Phillips, of Fayetteville, North Carolina, recalled him from the battle for Guadalcanal: "Basilone had a machine gun on the go for three days and nights without sleep, rest or food". "He was in a good emplacement, and causing the Japs lots of trouble, not only firing his machine gun but also using his pistol."

Basilone was returned to the States and participated in a War Bond Tour. After the tour, he was stationed at Camp Pendleton where he met Lena Mae Riggi, who was a Sergeant in the Marine Corps Women's Reserve. They were married at St. Mary's Church in Oceanside, July 10, 1944, with a reception at the Carlsbad Hotel. They honeymooned at her parents' onion farm in Portland.

Medal of Honor recipients are generally not allowed to return to combat. However, Basilone requested a return to the fighting in the Pacific theatre. Basilone was serving with the 27th Marine Regiment, 5th Marine Division during the invasion of Iwo Jima. On Red Beach II, he and his platoon were pinned down by enemy gunfire. He single-handedly destroyed an enemy blockhouse, allowing his unit to capture an airfield. Minutes later he was killed by an enemy artillery round.

John Basilone is buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. His grave can be found in Section 12, Grave 384, grid Y/Z 23.5.

Columnist and author James Brady, who had been awarded a Bronze Star for his service as a Marine in Korea, wrote Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Legendary Marine John Basilone, which was completed days before Brady's death in January 2009 and was scheduled to be published in November 2009.

Medal of Honor citation

Basilone's bravery at Guadalcanal, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, is legendary. His Medal of Honor citation, signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, reads:

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

SERGEANT JOHN BASILONE
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division in the Lunga Area. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 24 and 25 October 1942. While the enemy was hammering at the Marines' defensive positions, Sgt. Basilone, in charge of 2 sections of heavy machine guns, fought valiantly to check the savage and determined assault. In a fierce frontal attack with the Japanese blasting his guns with grenades and mortar fire, one of Sgt. Basilone's sections, with its guncrews, was put out of action, leaving only 2 men able to carry on. Moving an extra gun into position, he placed it in action, then, under continual fire, repaired another and personally manned it, gallantly holding his line until replacements arrived. A little later, with ammunition critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone, at great risk of his life and in the face of continued enemy attack, battled his way through hostile lines with urgently needed shells for his gunners, thereby contributing in large measure to the virtual annihilation of a Japanese regiment. His great personal valor and courageous initiative were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Navy Cross citation

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the NAVY CROSS posthumously to

GUNNERY SERGEANT JOHN BASILONE
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For extraordinary heroism while serving as a Leader of a Machine-Gun Section, Company C, 1st Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands, 19 February 1945. Shrewdly gauging the tactical situation shortly after landing when his company's advance was held up by the concentrated fire of a heavily fortified Japanese blockhouse, Gunnery Sergeant Basilone boldly defied the smashing bombardment of heavy caliber fire to work his way around the flank and up to a position directly on top of the blockhouse and then, attacking with grenades and demolitions, single handedly destroyed the entire hostile strong point and its defending garrison. Consistently daring and aggressive as he fought his way over the battle-torn beach and up the sloping, gun-studded terraces toward Airfield Number 1, he repeatedly exposed himself to the blasting fury of exploding shells and later in the day coolly proceeded to the aid of a friendly tank which had been trapped in an enemy mine field under intense mortar and artillerybarrages, skillfully guiding the heavy vehicle over the hazardous terrain to safety, despite the overwhelming volume of hostile fire. In the forefront of the assault at all times, he pushed forward with dauntless courage and iron determination until, moving upon the edge of the airfield, he fell, instantly killed by a bursting mortar shell. Stouthearted and indomitable, Gunnery Sergeant Basilone, by his intrepid initiative, outstanding skill, and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of the fanatic opposition, contributed materially to the advance of his company during the early critical period of the assault, and his unwavering devotion to duty throughout the bitter conflict was an inspiration to his comrades and reflects the highest credit upon Gunnery Sergeant Basilone and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

For the President,
/s/ JAMES FORRESTAL
Secretary of the Navy

There is a picture around somewhere of his back pack, with his name stentiled on the back, lying in the sand on Iwo.

I'm very much looking forward to it. I just don't know how on Earth they can ever show the PTO ground war on TV without upsetting people. The Japanese and Americans, almost without exception, fought each other to the death in the Pacific and never surrendered.
I've read that in the ETO there was an estimated 19,000 U.S. Army soldiers absent without leave in France. There were none in the PTO islands, because there was no where to go. The intensity of Okinawa was appalling. And the expectation was that it was only the beginning. 
My impression is that the PTO was America's version of the Russian Front.
"I think I told every one of them that I would rather have that medal, the Congressional Medal of Honor, than to be President of the United States."
President Truman.

Looks amazing.I remember when band of brothers came out I was in grade 12 and taped every episode and rewatched it until next week when the newest episode came out.......Pacific will be a similar case I think..

New HBO website: http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html

Starts 14 Mar 10

The first episode was on last night so I was wondering if anybody here gets HBO and was able to watch it.  I have read a lot of positive reviews but none of them were by soldiers or historians (that I know of).  So was wondering what the people on this site think; as good as "Band of Brothers" or better or worse?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I got HBO, the show is pretty good, but the character development was kinda weak, they tried to show you every character during the first episode so it was kinda hard to keep track or who everyone was, etc. Band Of Brothers did a better job of showing who's who, etc.  Still pretty early in the series to give a good review though, but so far its good.

Man... I wish I had HBO.
I almost bought the book at Chapters. Still wondering if I should

Like everything down here, things take time to get here (late), so I will be watching when this series arrives. Its not even being advertised yet, and this thread is the only avenue I have heard about this program/mini series.

Regards,

OWDU

Sitting here in Holland, I don't get HBO either. I downloaded the show to watch on the big screen, and thought that so far the cinematography is good, similar to the scenes from Saving Pte Ryan. Unless they to some of that switching back in time stuff, I think we have seen all we are going to with regards to pre-deployment character development. I also hope that they will show some of the set backs and defeats, not just the ra-ra we fought hard and won.

captloadie said:
Sitting here in Holland, I don't get HBO either. I downloaded the show to watch on the big screen, and thought that so far the cinematography is good, similar to the scenes from Saving Pte Ryan. Unless they to some of that switching back in time stuff, I think we have seen all we are going to with regards to pre-deployment character development. I also hope that they will show some of the set backs and defeats, not just the ra-ra we fought hard and won.

I'm guessing the (unexpected) abandonment of the marines' beachead at Guadalcanal without extended supplies or a timeline for reinforcement will be portrayed as somewhat of a setback.

until Sunday you can watch the first episode of The Pacific online at http://www.hbocanada.com/thepacific/video.php 

I liked it.

Brasidas said:
I'm guessing the (unexpected) abandonment of the marines' beachead at Guadalcanal without extended supplies or a timeline for reinforcement will be portrayed as somewhat of a setback.

They did touch on that a bit in the first episode. The 1st marine characters are on a hill top watching a night time naval engagment in the Slot. (fairly good CGI too BTW). Of course everytime a ship gets blown up they presume its a Japanese one and cheer.

Next morning they head down to the beach and notice their ships are all gone includingt all the supply vessels with 1/3 of the Division all its heavy weapons, ammunition, food etc has sailed away after the USN lost the battle of Savo Island and withdrew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Savo_Island

Next seen is a squadron of Japanese destroyers full of reinforcements sailing past them.

Overall I thought the first episode was not too bad. Good attention to details, 1903 Springfield Rifles and M1917 water cooled Machineguns etc. I do agree maybe not enough on character development, but we may see more.

Sierra Kilo said:
until Sunday you can watch the first episode of The Pacific online at http://www.hbocanada.com/thepacific/video.php 

I liked it.

SK, how were you able to watch the frist episode online? I'm on the website now, and all I can watch is promo vids and historical content.

MaDB0Y_021 said:
SK, how were you able to watch the frist episode online? I'm on the website now, and all I can watch is promo vids and historical content.

Sierra Kilo said:
until Sunday you can watch the first episode of The Pacific online at ....

As I watched the telly the other night, The Pacific was advertised on Australia's 7 Network as 'coming soon'.  This of course was filmed here in Queensland and in Victoira too.

Reality check: Bribie Island (the bewt tropical paradise where I live) was a pivitol training location for US Forces where they trained for their 'island hopping' campaign against the Japanese. Plenty of local history around here.

I'll be looking forward to this program, but it most likely won't be on until winter (Jun-Sep) at best.

OWDU

*long time reader, first time poster* haha

But back to the topic...

I've caught both episodes shown so far and I have to agree, the first episode was a bit slow but the battle sequence at the end was very well done (and from what I've compared to the things I've read about the Pacific theater, it was very realistic to the way it happened).

Second episode was very entertaining, better than the first, but I do look forward to Sunday for episode 3.. So far good series

Back