• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Masters Of The Air (Apple TV+)

To the historians here, how come the USAAF folks in WWII seem to mix/match their shirts and ties to their jacket? In the various promo material (and in historical photos), folks posting together would be wearing the same shirt/tie/jacket combo but the shirts and ties would be different colours.

E.g. lighter olive drab shirt with black tie, darker shirt with tan tie, tan shirt with tan tie, tan shirt with black tie…etc

Meanwhile the pants would also be either olive or tan, but the jacket would be olive.

To the historians here, how come the USAAF folks in WWII seem to mix/match their shirts and ties to their jacket? In the various promo material (and in historical photos), folks posting together would be wearing the same shirt/tie/jacket combo but the shirts and ties would be different colours.

E.g. lighter olive drab shirt with black tie, darker shirt with tan tie, tan shirt with tan tie, tan shirt with black tie…etc

Meanwhile the pants would also be either olive or tan, but the jacket would be olive.

Without a doubt, they were well dressed.

Without a doubt, they were well dressed.
I guess that’s always a relative question.

Were uniforms back then “well dressed” compared to their civilian peers, or are we looking at it compared to modern clothing/uniforms? Would WWII RAF uniforms be considered “well dressed” compared to current RAF uniforms, given that their dress uniform essentially hasn’t changed?

The other point is that Hollywood isn’t going to have their heroes in ill-fitting uniforms. I don’t think I saw a single person in Top Gun Maverick with a faded baggy flight suit or crappy-fitting khaki uniform, but I’ve seen plenty (including Americans) of those in real life.

Saw the first two episodes. Not disappointed. It definitely doesn’t tone down the violence and danger, and the best confirmation was from a podcast by a former US Marine and a civilian - they review the book and by Chapter 4 the Marine says “I know we chuck shit at Air Force but I could never do what those bomber crews did.”

Also, some of the “cheesy dialogue” is actually direct quotes from the book.

I guess that’s always a relative question.

Were uniforms back then “well dressed” compared to their civilian peers, or are we looking at it compared to modern clothing/uniforms? Would WWII RAF uniforms be considered “well dressed” compared to current RAF uniforms, given that their dress uniform essentially hasn’t changed?

The other point is that Hollywood isn’t going to have their heroes in ill-fitting uniforms. I don’t think I saw a single person in Top Gun Maverick with a faded baggy flight suit or crappy-fitting khaki uniform, but I’ve seen plenty (including Americans) of those in real life.

BBC

GIs, with their salaries, swish uniforms and flirtatious nature, symbolised the "gradual dominance of the US in the alliance",

"Swish uniforms"

BRITISH

"impressively smart and fashionable."

MASTERS OF THE AIR Episode 3 Ending Explained

Just watched episode 1. It was okay.

I had the feeling that, had I read the book, more of the inter-personal relationship stuff would have been clearer to me. The combat scenes were quite good. It was obviously CGI, but pretty damned good CGI.

I also think that if you are not very familiar with the air war during the Second World War you would not fully understand what is happening.

I also think that if you are not very familiar with the air war during the Second World War you would not fully understand what is happening.
Yeah, there is a lot of context that is missed if you either hadn’t read the book, or don’t know a lot about the bomber war.

The bomber stuff I understood very well- but, yeah I could see the average person reaching for Wikipedia or Youtube pretty fast for a primer on WW2 USAAF bomber tactics.

Back