• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The journey begins

Celticgirl

Inactive
Reaction score
I submitted my application to the local recruiting centre today.  :)

For the past month (or longer), I have been doing research, talking to people in the military (incl. recruiters at CFRC Sydney and CFRC Fredericton), visiting the DND website and this site, watching videos, reading, and generally gathering as much information as I could before making the Big Leap. (Capital letters because this is a milestone in my life.)

I remember back in high school (way back, we're talking 1989-90) when I was in grade 12, I stopped at the CF booth at our school career fair. I picked up some literature for the Air Force, as I was interested in being a pilot way back then. My father and brother convinced me not to apply at that time, perhaps out of fear that I would get hurt. In any case, I pursued other avenues, including attending university and teaching English in two foreign countries. I spent the past 5.5 years (up until this past December) teaching English here in Canada to international students who needed the linguistic and academic skills necessary to attend a Canadian university. While I loved teaching and there were many challenging aspects to my job, I continued to feel that something was missing. I knew I wanted to do 'something else', but what?

I don't know at what point it clicked, but I think it was an advertisement for the CF that really made me think that I should consider applying - at the ripe old age of 36, no less. I have so much respect for our troops and what they do, and I know that it takes a special person to be a part of the team - not just any old 'grunt' as some civvies mistakenly believe. I suppose it helps that I have been in a relationship for the past 2.5 years with a man who is in the Air Force. I have met many military folks through him and have learned about 'the life' by osmosis to an extent. I want to be a part of this amazing "family"...and that is truly what it is, a family.

I did not drop off my application right away (as you have obviously inferred by now), but rather, I took my time making this life-changing decision. I had originally thought that I would prefer to be in the reserves, but upon learning more, I decided that I would, in fact, prefer the regular force. I had to ask myself some hard questions...postings and deployments are inevitable in the reg force, would I be prepared for those eventualities? Upon reflection, I realized that, yes, I would be willing and able to go where the CF needed me. My next decision was a trade. The recruiters I spoke to did encourage me to go for officer trades because I have a degree and I suppose because I am more mature in age and would possibly be better suited to an officer position. On the other hand, perhaps that's just the standard spiel for anyone with a degree, I don't really know. However, I knew that ultimately the decision was mine and that to me, it did not matter if I were an officer or NCM, so long as I chose the trade that was right for me. After a considerable amount of vacillating back and forth, I decided that a career as an Aerospace Controller was right up my alley. The more I read about this exciting and challenging trade, the more excited I became about applying to the CF.

The only missing piece of the puzzle now is my university transcript, which I have been waiting on for nearly two weeks. Regardless, I opted to bring my application to CFRC Sydney today to get the ball rolling. The recruiter was very understanding about the transcript hold-up. He checked over the rest of my application and it was good to go. He told me I would be hearing from them in a couple of days, either the end of this week or the first of next week at the latest. Wow! I am so very excited! Now my mission for the next two days will be tracking down that transcript. I really have a low tolerance for incompetence, so I hope it is not 'lost'.

The next BMOQ that I am aware of is in May in St. Jean, so I hope (fingers and toes crossed) that I get an offer before then. I also want to get into great shape before basic training begins so that I can rock that PT in week 0! The push-ups continue to present a challenge for me, but I am up for a challenge, so I am working on this several times a day every day.

So that is my personal story thus far. If you are still reading after all of this rambling, God bless you.  ;D

Have I mentioned that I am EXCITED? :salute: :cdn:

YOU DID IT!!!!!

Congrats on finally making the right choice for you!!! Good job my friend and wishing you all the best!!!!

Good stuff CG, hopefully when hte ball starts rolling it doesn't stop (like mine). I think there is a few BMQ's in March, so who knows, maybe you'll see one of them with any luck  :)

Thanks for all the luck. :)

A sergeant from the CFRC called this afternoon to remind me that I need a university transcript as I am going DEO. I did know this and I explained the delay, so that was fine. She also told me I would need to bring in my original diploma, which would then be photocopied and certified. This is something I did not know. So I have that all ready to go. The third thing she called about was the fact that I had been living in Taiwan within the last 10 years (moved back here in May of 1999). This means I need to fill out a more 'extensive' security form. Hopefully, I will have my transcript from the university either tomorrow or Friday so that I can kill three birds with one stone.

In any case, I am just glad that things are finally moving forward instead of standing still.

My boyfriend told me I can start calling him "Sir" now. Ha!  ;D

RTaylor said:
Good stuff CG, hopefully when hte ball starts rolling it doesn't stop (like mine). I think there is a few BMQ's in March, so who knows, maybe you'll see one of them with any luck  :)

It will be BMOQ (IAP + BOTP), not BMQ, and I haven't seen any mention on here of a course before May. That's not to say there isn't one in March or April. Anyone know?

Celticgirl said:
It will be BMOQ (IAP + BOTP), not BMQ, and I haven't seen any mention on here of a course before May. That's not to say there isn't one in March or April. Anyone know?

Generally Reserve Officers do BMQ followed by the add on package from BOTP.

From A-P1-002-BOT/PH-B01 DP 1 - BASIC OFFICER TRAINING PERIOD

1-1/10

PRes BOTP will be conducted by Reserve units in two blocks:
a. Block I - the officer-cadet successfully completes PRes Basic Military Qualification (PRes BMQ) in accordance with A-PD-050-BMQ/PH-H16; then
b. Block II - the officer-cadet completes the leadership portion of the PRes BOTP. This portion consists of selected elements of the first three POs of the Reg F BOTP;

NFLD Sapper, thank you for the info, but I don't think it applies to me as I am going reg force not reserves. Correct?

Correct. My statement only applies to PRes Officers.

My response is for the following quote
RTaylor said:

good luck and congrats. i am trying for BMOQ on May 5th as well, have my interview and medical on wednesday the 27th. however there is still a chance it will be full by that time, so like you; crossing my fingers. Seems like a lot of older people are going to be there (myself included) :)

bbell said:
good luck and congrats. i am trying for BMOQ on May 5th as well, have my interview and medical on wednesday the 27th. however there is still a chance it will be full by that time, so like you; crossing my fingers. Seems like a lot of older people are going to be there (myself included) :)

Older but not old. ;) I imagine there will be more than one BMOQ running at this time, won't there? I'm just basing that on something I read on this site a little while back.

Celticgirl said:
Older but not old. ;) I imagine there will be more than one BMOQ running at this time, won't there? I'm just basing that on something I read on this site a little while back.

Why dont we all just keep the speculation to a minimum and stay within our limited "lanes" shall we ?

Here's what I was referring to - this was in the Basic Training forum under the heading IAP or VIP:
"There are 3 BMOQ running in st jean currently, one for french and two for english 30e and 31e."

Why can't we speculate a little bit about this? We aren't saying we know anything for sure. We are just excited about the possibility that we might still get into the May BMOQ. :)

Celticgirl said:
Here's what I was referring to - this was in the Basic Training forum under the heading IAP or VIP:
"There are 3 BMOQ running in st jean currently, one for french and two for english 30e and 31e."

Why can't we speculate a little bit about this? We aren't saying we know anything for sure. We are just excited about the possibility that we might still get into the May BMOQ. :)

Just a tidbit there Celticgirl the military is in the habit of cancelling course at the last minute. I've had friends loaded and confirmed for thier Sgt's course only to find out the day they go pick up thier travel claim (usually on a friday, travel day is sunday, course starts monday) that is cancelled.

i have no idea about how BMOQ is run, so no speculation, i was just told i might make it for the May course.

That is a good point about possible last-minute changes, Sapper. Stuff happens.

My university transcript finally came in, so I dropped that off today at the CFRC and brought my diploma in as well. While the sergeant was photocopying my diploma, I had a nice chat with another recruiter (not sure of his rank). He told me that for BMQ there are courses running just about every week, whereas BMOQ courses might run twice a month or once a month, but usually not less than that, so there's a chance of getting in before May (if they are not filled up, cancelled, or what have you). The earlier the better as far as I am concerned. He was also nice enough to make a digital copy of the security forms for me so that I could keep a copy on my computer for future reference. They weren't kidding when they said it was 'extensive'. I am going to need some time to get all of the information.

I just have to say that I am so impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff at the CFRC (both actually, but I've spent more time at the Sydney centre). They are so pleasant and they genuinely don't seem to mind taking the time to answer all of my questions (and I have many! lol). This has been a great experience thus far...and to quote the Carpenters, "We've only just begun". :)

it seems we all get told different info. i was told there was a BMOQ 3-4x a year, we had one in Jan, one coming up in may and one in sept.

bbell said:
it seems we all get told different info. i was told there was a BMOQ 3-4x a year, we had one in Jan, one coming up in may and one in sept.

There's a huge gap between May and September.  :(

The recruiter I spoke with also said there are usually 2 English courses and 1 French course running concurrently. Did you hear anything like that? No wonder we are speculating when we are getting conflicting information like this. I really hope I don't have to wait until September, but I guess we shall what happens. Que sera, sera.

i think it works like that because the jan course ends at the end if april, then the may course ends in august, so then another starts in sept. i never heard anything about french or english, it was either may or sept she told me.

Back