• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

thanks a lot guys. this is our first time really apart, and well, its not going as well as it could.  you guys are really helping me

... just don't take your GF to any one of the Cougar bars near the base ;)

You have to book a room on the Base before you arrive.  THey don't do walk ins (unless its Transient in M-5 and I am not going to describe that experience).  You should probably call Accom at least a week before.  If you ask about a suite, you may be able to get something in the F-Lines, but there are a few issues with that.  Call and ask.

Give the GF a nice experience, follow Vern's advice & book at the Days Inn - Oromocto.

Once you have decided to develop and maintain a relationship... it's no time to go cheap on her.

I agree with Geo, but don't forget to ask if they have a DND/Federal government discount.  You could use the money you save to take her to some place nice to eat in Freddy or something.

*First time apart* stuff is a learning experience for both of you...make the weekend the best you can and make sure she is heading back home smiling. 

Edit - I took one of my ex-girlfriends to the Oromocto Inn once as it (at the time) was the only hotel close to the base.  Please notice the *ex-girlfriend* part  ;D

Come on now, the Oromocto Hotel was a classy joint!! Only place in town you could get a room late Friday night. IIRC they even had rooms by the hour (not that I ever rented one by the hour).

It was a classy place indeed.  Close to the *Hug and Slug* aka The Camelot and KFC.

Best of both worlds!

If you want to just have a place to hang out the Days Inn is pretty nice - I haven't stayed there myself, but my folks did one weekend they came to visit while I was on course, they said it was a great, basically brand new etc.

If you want to be in Freddy to be able to take in the city, give the Delta and the Lord Beaverbrook a call - they sometimes have special rates on that are unbelievably cheap.  I got a weekend at the Delta for practically free last summer, about $65/night, and it's an incredible hotel.  It's worth a call to check out what they have to offer.

I am heading to Gagetown in January for my QL3 at CFSME (air) I am going to be staying in the barracks.  Can anyone give me some local advice on internet access or in room hook up for my time there?

You need to set up an account with Bell-Alliant, they have a dealer on Broad Road called Cox Electronics. Then you need to write down the jack number in your room and go over to D-5 (IIRC) its the building right behind the Accomodations Building D-59, there you will fill out a request form to have internet set up in your room.

Wait times for the Sigs guy to hook you up will vary. In the summer you could be waiting up to a month or more, I think it took me about 2 weeks this spring to get it hooked up.

;D

Then Murphy's Law kicks in.  The day before you get hooked up, you are assigned another room, perhaps even moved to a different shack.

George Wallace said:
;D

Then Murphy's Law kicks in.  The day before you get hooked up, you are assigned another room, perhaps even moved to a different shack.

Ah yes the wondering course

;D

That being said the Maritime Club (aka JR's) has free internet, there was plans to reinstall wireless there not sure if it went through though.......

Thank you in advance for you help.

I have a wife and a young son (16 months) and am about to start CAP in Gagetown on or around Jan 25.  I'm wondering what that chances of moving my family to Gagetown are?

It's a restricted posting, but from what I've gathered chances are that I'm going to be at Gagetown for 1.5 to 2 years by the time I get done phase 4.  How likely is it and what is the process to try and get the restriction lifted?  If I can't get it lifted am I still able to move my family into PMQ's at my own expense? 

If anyone has any experience with this, whether you've been in this situation or dealt with it at work I would love some input.  My wife stayed with her parents while I was at St. Jean but it was not ideal.  I'd really like to be able to get them set up so there was some sort of consistency for them even if I am in shacks or in the field. 

Please feel free to move this to the appropriate spot if I posted it in the wrong area.

Once again thanks for any help.

You can have your restriction removed.  However, you need to prove that you will be at one base for more than 6 months.  You have to write a memo to the career manager through your CoC.  You also need their support.  Talk to your DS staff when you get to your school.  I was in a similar situation, and I had no problems.

Unfortunatley I can't find the orginal memo as it's not in my e-mail and I'm not @ home and won't be back for a while.  Ask your DS they should be able to direct you in the right direction.

Isn't it restricted until you can find a place to stay? At least that's what's written in the IRP manual.

from my experience it is not an IRP move as the member is not at career status, or some such wording. Basically the member isn't trained so it is delt with by the base/unit bor. As my move to kingston's 'wonderful' PMQ's was done back in 06 thru borden's BOR, simmilar guidlines to IRP's move, but less entitlements (less $$). Though things might of changed, this is what happened with me in 06.

We did an OR move (non-IRP) in 06, but I think that the OR stopped doing moves the next year.  I *think* that IRP handles all moves now, even for members who have not reached career status.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the people who got posted onto the course after me (in 07) were with IRP.

Regardless of IRP/non-IRP, it is the CO that lifts the restriction and given that you're not trained, it will be the BTL manager or whatever they are calling it now (not career manager) that will have to fund the cost move.  So your course of action is through your chain of command in Gagetown.

I don't know about PMQs if you don't have permission to move your family.  When we moved into PMQs we had to show our posting message.  But they can certainly live off base - the army can't tell your wife where to live.  However - if you move her at your own expense that may mess with your next move.  For example if she's in Manitoba now, and you get posted to Shilo, they will not pay the entire cost of a move from NB if you moved her there on your own.  Your first paid move will be from where she is right now.  It can get very complicated.  Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, just be prepared for complications if you do.

I was moved in Aug 09 (after I finished BMOQ) because I could no longer complete my degree at the place I was, so they had to move me to where it could be completed.

It was a non-IRP move and in checking it out the reason they gave me was because I was not "trained," which I believe meant that I was not done Ph 4.

I was given a HHT and they sent movers to pack my stuff and brought it to the place I had secured. I'm not sure what benefits you get with IRP but I certainly didn't lose any money in the non-IRP process.

exgunnertdo said:
... the army can't tell your wife where to live.  However - if you move her at your own expense that may mess with your next move.  For example if she's in Manitoba now, and you get posted to Shilo, they will not pay the entire cost of a move from NB if you moved her there on your own.  Your first paid move will be from where she is right now.  It can get very complicated.  Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, just be prepared for complications if you do.

I think that even though the member has not yet reached career status, he/she may still update MPRR as to the location of his/her DF&E. If said family moves to Buctouche and member is restricted in Gander, NL and then posted to Ottawa, posting message will locate DF&E to Ottawa along with said member.

Or something like that!!

My wife is an RMS clerk and she is constantly voicing her displeasure at the fact that IRPP will not move anyone if they do not have trained status. She has to move all the ROTP and NCM SEP members when they fininsh their school. So based on that I'd say that if you are not a trained member then the OR will have to do it. If you have any questions you should be directinig them to your OR and one of the RMS clerks there. They have all the publications with all the regulations at hand.

Back