• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

Okay, wait a minute.  You're engaged, but were not legally married or common-law prior to the birth of your daughter?  If so, that's why he was paying R&Q up until then.  As far as it still being deducted, these things take time.  I went to Afghanistan in Nov-Dec last year and did not get all my overseas pay until the end of March.

As far as the posting thing, yes, just wait until he is in Kingston.  As has been stated, every situation is different and they'll have a better idea of how his courses are going to actually go at that time.

jtojtheno said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "active role",  All I have done is come on a forums site for getting answers and asked for an answer.

This may be considered taking TOO ACTIVE a role in someone else's career:

jtojtheno said:
I spoke to 2 CPls, one in St. Jean and one in Ottawa. .............. The letter I sent ....................... That's why I emailed Kingston. ................

Though in your mind you may not see how your actions may affect his career in many jobs, not just the military, a spouse's actions/comments can and have had negative effects. Without your child's birth certificate, the military did not know the two of you qualified as common law. Simple as that, the answers you received are most likely based on that little choice of information you did not offer in your first post. This is why taking a step away and allowing a calmer mind is helpful when looking for help. Things like R&Q will get sorted out, it takes time and him doing what needs to be done. In between his normal training. The costs will be retroactive, but it may not be when you think. That is where he has to speak with his clerks.

Again. If you move yourself, at your own cost. When the time comes to move because the military approves it, you may lose many benefits that will add to your costs. Is that worth the few months waiting? At least until you know for certain all the answers you are looking for.

PMedMoe said:
Okay, wait a minute.  You're engaged, but were not legally married or common-law prior to the birth of your daughter?  If so, that's why he was paying R&Q up until then.  As far as it still being deducted, these things take time.  I went to Afghanistan in Nov-Dec last year and did not get all my overseas pay until the end of March.

As far as the posting thing, yes, just wait until he is in Kingston.  As has been stated, every situation is different and they'll have a better idea of how his courses are going to actually go at that time.

And, for clarification purposes, IAW the rules, if date of Common Law or marriage occurs AFTER the COS date (at Saint Jean), SE is not authorized. That seems to be the case here (CL date effective the date of the child's birth which occured after his Saint Jean date); thus, the first location that her husband will be posted to where he is actually "CL or married" ON the COS date is Kingston - just as the clerk at Saint Jean said.  Ergo, if he's now getting High Rate SE (SE & Free R&Q) ... I wouldn't be spending that money if I were he as it seems to me that, IAW the DAODs - he is NOT entitled to it or to free R&Q.

In the case of "married service couples" whose CL or marriage date occurs after the COS date - SE is authorized at the Low Rate - IE: Rations and quarters will still be paid by the member, but mil member who is away from the principal residence receives Low Rate SE of 13.00 per day. Been there and done that.

DCBA Aide Memoire

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/aps-paa-2009/chapter-chapitre-11-eng.asp#sec-11-01

3.2 Service Couple (SC) Married or Common Law After the Change of Strength (COS) Date

When the marriage or common law partnership recognition is after the COS date, the benefit is limited to the low rate of SA. There is no reimbursement for accommodation or meals. Only one member of the SC may claim SA at any time, while the other possesses the HG&E in their principal residence.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/80675/post-770448.html#msg770448

Vern, they wouldn't be considered a "married service couple" as she is not in the CF.  But yes, the common-law would not have been in effect until the child was born.  But interesting to note that there is "no reimbursement for accommodation or meals" for a married service couple.  What if they have children?  ???

Let's try to set a few things straight.

A restricted posting is one where the member is not allowed to move their Dependents, Household Goods and Effects (DHG&E) until certain conditions are met.  On some postings, the conditions are never met and so the CF never moves the DHG&E.  This is different from a "Prohibited" posting where the movement of DHG&E will never be approved.  It is up to the Management Authority (i.e. the folks that are paying for all this) to decide whether a postings during training phases are "restricted" or "prohibited."  Read the posting instruction (i.e. the posting message) to see what yours is.  If it's restricted, chances are it can be lifted once the member gets to Kingston.

At this point in the member's career, if a move of DHG&E is approved, it will likely be administered by the Orderly Room.  Contrary to what an earlier poster said, this does not mean a huge difference in benefits.  There is only one benefit where there is a difference between what a member gets from IRP and what he/she gets from the OR (and for that matter the benefit from the OR is usually greater).  Don't sweat this.  If the move is approved, you'll get moved and the Crown pays for it.  In this regard, I would recommend you wait until your husband is in Kingston and in a position to discuss options with his chain of command.  This will just make life easier.  Stepping outside the established process does NOT negate entitlements, but it doesn't make you any friends either.  If you do decide to move on your own, keep all your receipts as you MAY be able to claim them later, if the restriction is lifted.  If the restriction is never lifted and it does come time for the next  posting where you are entitled to move DHG&E, things will get complicated if you are trying to move everything from Kingston instead of where the CF thought you were.  Again, this scenario does not mean you're entitled to nothing, but it will be complicated and you may be somewhat out of pocket as a result (normally the goal of moving in the CF is that the member is not out of pocket for anything).  The best advice is for your husband to seek information from the right people (i.e.  his chain of command and the appropriate supervisor in the OR, not from his buddy in the mess or anyone on this forum).

Just so folks are aware, the average cost of a CF move is $15,000 and we move around 15,000 members (and their families) every year.  This means we spend about $225M annually on moves (not hundreds of billions).  It's a lot of money, but it's actually only about 1% of the total Defence budget.

The people involved in the process are not a bunch of ogres and they do not lie awake at night thinking of ways to screw people over.  Reasonable requests can and will be considered, but if you wish to deviate from the norm, ask BEFORE you do it, wait for the answer and then take heed of the answer before proceeding.

Nobody can tell you that you are not allowed to move.  You can do whatever you like, but be prepared for the fact that the CF may not pay for some of your choices.

Finally, I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed by the approach some folks have taken to posting on this thread (and others for that matter).  Somebody asked a question.  There was no need for anyone to jump down her throat.  If you don't want to answer the question, then just move on.  Threatening someone that if she rocks the boat too much (which she wasn't) that her husband could be released as an administrative burden is over the top and only causes unwarranted stress in a new member of our CF family.  We're supposed to help each other, not bite the hand that reaches out for assistance.  It takes a hell of a lot to release someone as an administrative burden and asking questions (even a lot of them) doesn't take you even close to that point.  Members have a right to know and leaders have a duty to inform (it's one of those pesky principles of leadership that we teach).

PMedMoe said:
Vern, they wouldn't be considered a "married service couple" as she is not in the CF.  But yes, the common-law would not have been in effect until the child was born.  But interesting to note that there is "no reimbursement for accommodation or meals" for a married service couple.  What if they have children?  ???

Exactly. For cases where they are NOT married service couples (as here), there is no entitlement to SE (at either the high rate [free R&Q] OR the low rate) if that CL or marriage date occurs AFTER the COS date.

In their case, the CL date would be the date the child was born which occured after his report date to Saint Jean; thus, there is NO entitlement to SE High Rate (free R&Q/13.00 per day) or Low Rate (13.00 per day/no free R&Q) IAW the DAODs.

They would not be entitled to SE until his COS date in Kingston because he would actually BE CL/married on that COS date. Of course, if she moves to Kingston with him, there is also no entitlement to either. That's why I said ... I hope he doesn't spend it if he is receiving it because I see a "recovery action" occuring from his pay in the future if that's the case.

jtojtheno,

Please pay attention to what Pusser has posted. If you have any other questions, I'm sure they can be answered by PM to Pusser Get yourself sorted out on this stuff first, then if you need more questions answered, feel free to post again.

For now, this one is done.

Milnet.ca Staff

I am totally sorry if I should have searched for this topic but they all seem to be really old ones and no one would even see them so I will start a new one even though one was just locked with the same heading.

I am going to Gagetown in July as I did a CT.  I am wondering on the situation in regards to shacks, what are they like, how many people are to a room? Do they still use bunkbeds?  Do they have lockable lockers in the room to store valuable stuff like laptops?  What do you do for fun in Gagetown?  Can you bring a bike, is there a place to lock it up/store it that is secure?  When you are on pretc do you have lots of time to go to the gym?  Do they still include the oxfords in your kit inspection?  What do you do on pretc? 

I was also told that I am not allowed to drive down instead of flying down to Gagetown cause I do not have any leave days and I will be there for quite some time maybe even up to a year on IR so why can't i take my car?  I just want clerification on that ot some smart ass comment like you were told you can't so that's the answer, that's not what i asked.  I am just looking for a few questions answered.

Thanks and I am quite looking forward to this CT unlike lots of the whiners I see on the forums.

davidsonr_91 said:
I was also told that I am not allowed to drive down instead of flying down to Gagetown cause I do not have any leave days

I would say that your travel to Gagetown would take more than 1 day's drive. Where are you traveling from ?

why can't i take my car?

Because you are only allocated 1 travel day. If it would take longer than that, you must take leave days to cover the difference. If you have zero leave, well, you see where i am going with this........

Thanks for the post buy you answered one of my zillion questions, so your trying to say that no one can tell me anything about gagetown and no one can answer any of my questions.  Wow.

davidsonr_91 said:

You know, in  some parts of this country..........it is 2am. You posted your message roughly 3 hours ago ( around 11pm in some parts) so i'm sorry that some people may have a freakin life and need to get some sleep before going to work.

Why dont you take a pill and come back tomorow, we're not slaves to you every querry.

Thanks for posting this 4 times...i wouldnt have noticed it otherwise.

I'm pretty sure i answered your driving question last time too.

I seriously didn't mean to do that my din comp screwed up and kept giving an error screen and telling me to resend. So this was the result

Yes you did but I also asked more then one question plus I was not directing the questions just to you but appreciate the fact you answered one of the many.

davidsonr_91 said:
I am totally sorry if I should have searched for this topic but they all seem to be really old ones and no one would even see them so I will start a new one even though one was just locked with the same heading.
I am trying this again because my other topic was locked for some reason without a reason given as times change and places change so i posted a new topic.

I am going to Gagetown in July as I did a CT.  I am wondering on the situation in regards to shacks, what are they like, how many people are to a room? Do they still use bunkbeds?  Do they have lockable lockers in the room to store valuable stuff like laptops?  What do you do for fun in Gagetown?  Can you bring a bike, is there a place to lock it up/store it that is secure?  When you are on pretc do you have lots of time to go to the gym?  Do they still include the oxfords in your kit inspection?  What do you do on pretc? 

I was also told that I am not allowed to drive down instead of flying down to Gagetown cause I do not have any leave days and I will be there for quite some time maybe even up to a year on IR so why can't i take my car?  I just want clerification on that ot some smart *** comment like you were told you can't so that's the answer, that's not what i asked.  I am just looking for a few questions answered.

Thanks and I am quite looking forward to this CT unlike lots of the whiners I see on the forums.

Posting the same question more than once and in different sections of this site is frowned upon by the site moderators and by the terms of agreement of this site....

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Could be up to 4 to a room, yes there are lockable lockers, most shacks have a bike rack outside the building, you will have mandatory PT time (timings to be determined by your PAT Platoon Staff).... for this to do in and around Oromocto, Oromocto Town Site.

So I am visiting my girlfriend (who goes to unb) before being course out next week and we were wondering if any old hands from Gagetown might know of a swimming hole near by as the weekend weather is supposedly going to be awesome?

-NSDreamer

It is called the Oromocto River.  Find a place to park near it and a swimming you can go.

South Branch of the Oromocto River.
Take Broad road out to Geary.  Turn onto the Branch Road, towards the speedway.  About 10 km past the speedway, the road you are on turns into highway 101.  Stay on there for another 10 km.  At the far end of Hoyt, you will come to Queen's County, as depicted by the county sign.  Turn right about 100 m past that onto Sandbrook Road.  (If you turn left there, you will turn onto Enniskillen Road.)  There is a white church IMMEDIATELY past that, on your left.  If you pass the church, you've gone too far.  Simply turn about and head down Sandbrook.  Stay on there.  After about 4 km, it comes to a "Y" junction, turn right.  Stay on there.  The road will turn to gravel, and then to a bridge.  That bridge is over the South Branch of the Oromocto.

A better spot?  Go to South Oromocto Lake.  Take route 101 as above, but keep going past Sandbrook/Enniskillen.  About 3 or 4 km past their, you will come to South Oromocto Lake Road (known by the locals as the South Branch Road).  Stay on there for about 10 km or so.  You will come to an intersection (the first one, really), and turn left.  It will quickly turn into a gravel road.  Stay on it, past all the camps out there.  You will come to a "Y" junction again.  Stay on the right (which is more straight, really).  Follow it for about 300 m or so.  As you come around the corner after 300m, you will be met with an awesome sight of the lake:

Thank you kindly, we shall go there tomorrow and picnic! Mmmm excellent. You are both gentleman and scholars, or at least good soldiers of some sort!

Back