• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CV90 Fan Page

That would be cool, CV90 with a black maple leaf. However I would suspect this would be an interim thing because CV90 technology is already 12-14 years old. Maybe the south korean K21 with its 40mm or even the US FCS MGV series would be more ideal for a more permament solution?

ArmyRick said:
That would be cool, CV90 with a black maple leaf. However I would suspect this would be an interim thing because CV90 technology is already 12-14 years old. Maybe the south korean K21 with its 40mm or even the US FCS MGV series would be more ideal for a more permament solution?
PUMA FTW!
pffft.gif

SCNR,
ironduke57 ;D

No one is complaining the Leopard II is 80's technology, the design of the CV90 is actually newer!

The PUMA IFV is much heavier and about 3X more expensive per unit than a CV90, and to my knowledge isn't available in the many sub varients that the CV90 offers. Think of the LAV on tracks (CV90 CP, CV90 Amb, CV90 FIST, CV90 SPAAG.....). The PUMA is much better protected (the "C" uparmour package provides as much protection as a Leopard 1 tank), but with the "C" package it weighs as much as a tank as well, with the logistical issues that go along with that.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1123989.html

Hopefully there will be more then just 20 if the DND decides to go along with them.

In terms of size and firepower, the BAE Systems vehicle falls in between the LAV III and the 64-tonne Leopard tank.

I like the way they leave a huge margin in capabilities to guess. ::)

Schafer: Much fuller version of the CP story at this Torch post:

New tracked Infantry Fighting Vehicles for Army, plus LAV-Hs?
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-tracked-infantry-fighting-vehicles.html

Mark
Ottawa

So what exactly would these be used for? "vehicle meant to accompany MBTs into combat" Would these be used by the armour and accompany the Leos in Tank Squadrons as "anti-infantry" per say.

Oh No a Canadian said:
So what exactly would these be used for? "vehicle meant to accompany MBTs into combat" Would these be used by the armour and accompany the Leos in Tank Squadrons as "anti-infantry" per say.

I'd suggest infantry in tracked IFV's would be used as a company-sized unit attached to a Tank squadron or vice-versa. There are many tasks such a pairing could be used for.

Except for one thing - the CV 90 only has 4 dismounts.  It is a the ultimate white elephant, brought to you by the Dinosaurocracy - CEO: Dan Ross.

PPCLI Guy said:
Except for one thing - the CV 90 only has 4 dismounts.  It is a the ultimate white elephant, brought to you by the Dinosaurocracy - CEO: Dan Ross.

That's not what Janes Armour and Artillery say. I'll find the exact page number, but I'm pretty sure it gives figures as 3 crew and 7 troops. How much extra gear are these 4 taking?

Maybe Jane's is incorrect. [Shock]  :-\

F.I.R.S.T. said:
That's not what Janes Armour and Artillery say. I'll find the exact page number, but I'm pretty sure it gives figures as 3 crew and 7 troops. How much extra gear are these 4 taking?

Maybe Jane's is incorrect. [Shock]  :-\

3 crew and 7 total....

PPCLI Guy said:
3 crew and 7 total....

http://www.baesystems.com/BAEProd/groups/public/documents/bae_publication/landa_pdf_hagg_cv9030mkii.pdf

The manufacturer's blurb says 10-11 personnel total. PPCLI, can you show where you got your figures from please?

If these aren't likely going to arrive in time for service in Afghanistan, what is the long term plan for them? With only 20, that doesn't give us much more then a coy to work with, especially when we factor in training needs and future losses. Anyone?

popnfresh said:
If these aren't likely going to arrive in time for service in Afghanistan, what is the long term plan for them? With only 20, that doesn't give us much more then a coy to work with, especially when we factor in training needs and future losses. Anyone?

20 is just the initial order to asses and test the system and see if it what Canada needs and how well it works, the full order will probably be in the low hundreds

Oh No a Canadian said:
20 is just the initial order to asses and test the system and see if it what Canada needs and how well it works, the full order will probably be in the low hundreds

Wrong.

Analysis has been completed on the needs (okay, the numbers were crunched to fiit within the envelope of available funds) and the final numbers purchased will be within a set range.

The internet fails me, but 20 seems a little small. I guess these will be going out with the Leos only.

PPCLI Guy said:
From the project staff

Is that capability or intention?

The Bradley has the capability of carrying 6 IIRC but the "section" was reduced to 4 dismounts as well.

Back