• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CV90 Fan Page

Grass is greener syndrome:

US pers in mech or cavalry see the LAV 25 and think it's cool because it is fast. SBCT units would like the LAV because of the Delco turret and 25mm cannon. Light units want something with some protection and punch to suppliment the HMMVW's.

We, on the other hand.................

George Wallace said:
Peaches

You may want to do a little more research into what your proposal really should be.  What you just proposed is unworkable.  100 tanks, would not even fill the requirements of one Regiment, let alone three or more.  As well, it would not provide enough for the School, Wainwright, and War Reserves.  As for cascading the Leo 1 C 2 fleet down to the Reserves, you are really stretching your credibility.  We had enough of a problem with 128 tanks filling the requirements of one Regiment, the School, and War Reserve.  There was no Combat Training Center in Wainwright at that time.  Nope.  You proposal doesn't cut it.

You've got a pretty good point there, George. Just the other day, as a thought exercise I wondered how many troops we'd need to support a fleet of 300 - 400 tanks (a country of Canada's wealth should be able to acquire that many). This is a minimal number which would allow for basic combat stocks and training, but not war reserve.

What I came up with was:

Hive off 100 tanks for a training establishment - 100 recruits just entering their trade plus a minimum of 200 training officers and NCO's (allowing roughly two pers per candidate, one to deliver the training, the other to assist with monitoring the training and handling the admin work associated with developing and managing the training syllabus). That's 300 personnel. Now add on another 100 - 200 other support people (adm clerks & supply techs, etc.) to assist with running the entire training establishment overall. Add about 150 technical types - your mechanics, electro-optical techs and other vehicle maintainers, and your total training establishment, candidates included, runs to 650 people.

Now take the combat fleet on top of all that. That's 1200 personnel to actually operate the tanks (assuming four-man crews). Now, using the general rule of thumb that you need a minimum of 3 - 4 personnel to support one soldier in the field, you need a support establishment of 4800 all ranks/trades.

Your total establishment is 4800 + 1200 + 650 = 6650 personnel. With these kinds of numbers needed to run even a de minimis armoured division, it's a wonder how we managed to run 128 Leopards with as few people as we did for as long as we did.

In fact, with a fleet of just 128 tanks being, as you point out, insufficient to handle training, combat and war reserves, I'm left with the impression that the few tanks we had in Germany up until 1990 would have only been able to play a very minimal role if the Soviets had attacked NATO. To put it more bluntly, the 36 - 54 effective tanks we had in Lahr would have had very short shelf-lives in battle if Soviet forces had penetrated the US VIII Corps FEBA in any significant numbers. It would have been like Hong Kong all over again. In saying so, I don't wish to diminish the work of the Canadian soldiers posted in Lahr at the time. They did extraordinarily well, despite being chronically underequipped and undermanned. The quality of the work they were doing was so high that they were actually training US soldiers, rather than the other way around, and they were held in very high esteem by German troops as well.

Let's face it, the 128 Leopards Trudeau bought in 1977 were just a form of tokenism intended to keep trade links with Germany open, and prevent Canada from being kicked out of NATO entirely. It was a pretty cynical move, knowing that at the time Canada had the wealth to be able to do much more.

The numbers I've generated in my scenario may be off base (hell, I might even be totally out of my lane here) but the idea of the exercise was not get absolutely accurate numbers, but to get an idea of just how many people you really need to run and operate several properly-sized  tank regiments.

To go with numbers, assumptions must be made:  (these are all assumptions)
First: a "tank" regiment has 59 tanks, based on three squadrons of 19 and RHQ's tanks (2, right?)
Second: we wish to equip 3 regiments, therefore, 177 tanks for the field force alone
Third: the Armd Shool would require tanks to train, assume a minimum of a squadron's worth, so another 19 (Total so far is 196)
Reserves: I don't know: 10% or so?  19?  A squadron's worth of "war stocks/whole fleet management?" (215 so far)
Tech's Training: Borden will need some to train the techs.  How many?  10 is a nice round number (225)

So, can we afford 225 tanks?  Is my math right?  Do we need 3 regiments?  Now, I know we would not field 3 regiments simultaneously, but the idea is 1 "over there", 1 getting ready to go, and the third in the the reconstitution cylce.

Now, what about the recce?  Leave a recce squadron in each regiment?  I don't think that's enough.  Maybe a recce regiment?  8 CH?  FGH?

von Garvin said:
To go with numbers, assumptions must be made:  (these are all assumptions)
First: a "tank" regiment has 59 tanks, based on three squadrons of 19 and RHQ's tanks (2, right?)
Second: we wish to equip 3 regiments, therefore, 177 tanks for the field force alone
Third: the Armd Shool would require tanks to train, assume a minimum of a squadron's worth, so another 19 (Total so far is 196)
Reserves: I don't know: 10% or so?  19?  A squadron's worth of "war stocks/whole fleet management?" (215 so far)
Tech's Training: Borden will need some to train the techs.  How many?  10 is a nice round number (225)

So, can we afford 225 tanks?  Is my math right?  Do we need 3 regiments?  Now, I know we would not field 3 regiments simultaneously, but the idea is 1 "over there", 1 getting ready to go, and the third in the the reconstitution cylce.

Now, what about the recce?  Leave a recce squadron in each regiment?  I don't think that's enough.  Maybe a recce regiment?  8 CH?  FGH?

Von Garvin,

Your math seems about right to me. You ask, "Can we afford 225 tanks?" To which I would reply, "Can we afford $1 billion dollars to spend on new kit?" I base that $1bn on 225 new-build Leopard 2A6's, which seem to be selling for around $5 - 7 million each when German Euros are converted to CDN $. The MGS buy would have provided only 66 units for $800 million CAD. Admittedly the price I'm factoring for the Leo 2A6 buy does not account for parts, spares and training.

Money is not the issue here, we're spending what, 2.8 billion to buy 4 new C-17's? It's political will.

As for attaching a recce squadron to each regiment - yes, you would definitely need to do that.

Eland said:
As for attaching a recce squadron to each regiment - yes, you would definitely need to do that.

What I mean is, that in today's battlegroups, there seems to be a recce squadron in it.  So, are three recce squadrons enough?  If so, should they be "penny-packeted" out to the armoured (tank) regiments?  Or, do we equip the three existing regular force regiments with tanks (a la my model) and then stand up 8 CH as a recce regiment?  Three squadrons (two anglo, one franco, naturally)?  If so, would Gagetown be the place to do it?  Shilo?  Suffield?  If it's a bilingual formation, then, as far as quality of life, at least NB is officially bilingual, and Gagetown has a fairly healthy french population for the families, the troopers, etc.
As for my earlier post re: numbers: are ten in Borden enough?  I mean, there are Vehicle Techs to be trained, FCS techs, Weapons techs...did I miss any?
I guess a "billion" dollars initially, followed by spare parts, etc, might be do-able, but I am not a financial/business whiz (If I were, would I still drive a 2000 Ford Explorer?)

von Grognard said:
What I mean is, that in today's battlegroups, there seems to be a recce squadron in it.  So, are three recce squadrons enough?  If so, should they be "penny-packeted" out to the armoured (tank) regiments?  Or, do we equip the three existing regular force regiments with tanks (a la my model) and then stand up 8 CH as a recce regiment?  Three squadrons (two anglo, one franco, naturally)?  If so, would Gagetown be the place to do it?  Shilo?  Suffield?  If it's a bilingual formation, then, as far as quality of life, at least NB is officially bilingual, and Gagetown has a fairly healthy french population for the families, the troopers, etc.
As for my earlier post re: numbers: are ten in Borden enough?  I mean, there are Vehicle Techs to be trained, FCS techs, Weapons techs...did I miss any?
I guess a "billion" dollars initially, followed by spare parts, etc, might be do-able, but I am not a financial/business whiz (If I were, would I still drive a 2000 Ford Explorer?)

I favour the idea of having three (or four) Regular Force tank regiments with their own (that is to say, organic) recce squadrons.
Since we seem to be moving gradually towards a model based on fighting for information (as the Germans and the US are known for),
I would tend to think one recce squadron per regiment might be too small in size to be useful. 

As far as organization of these recce squadrons goes, what I would lpropose is a heavier force structure - say, a six-vehicle troop comprised of two Centauro wheeled tank-destroyers (instead of the MGS) accompanied by three 'mud-recce' variants of the Coyote (lacking a full-bore sensor suite). The Coyotes would go out on a trace, make and maintain contact, then call up the Centauros for fire support if things get hairy and exfiltration is needed. Attached to the troop you would have one LAVIII with a seven-man assault troop for additional counter-infantry and counter-armour assistance. You could also use the Coyotes to initially identify targets and if the enemy force they detect is small and relatively weak/isolated, bring up the Centauros and the LAVIII to take it out or cut it up a bit.

Once a trace is cleared, you could then bring up Coyote OP vehicles to set up semi-static OP's. Once they are in place, follow-on forces can proceed to meet them while the heavy recce troops go forward to the next tactical bound. If your recce forces are functioning as they should, then they ought to be 'pulling' the main body into its advance to contact.

As for stationing of recce units, placing the Francophone unit in Valcartier, one Anglo unit in Gagetown for initial training serials (consider this unit forward deployed as part of a rapid-reaction force), and the other Anglo unit in Wainwright for manoeuvre training seems to make sense - to me, anyway.

It's interesting to see that you favour standing up 8CH as a primary recce regiment, because when I was serving in 'C' Squadron 1st Hussars ('79 - '81) we had a sergeant from 8CH attached to my unit as RSS. If I recall correctly, 8CH were equipped mostly with Lynx C&R back then, so they were the real recce experts and were in a position to impart their knowledge to our regiment.

Warning!  Brief history lesson!

Umpteen years ago, when Canada really had tanks, we had somewhere around 330 Centurions.  The four Armour Regiments (RCD, 8CH, FGH, LdSH) all had them, of course.  They were based in Germany (4CMBG), Gagetown (3 CBG), Calgary (1CBG) and Petawawa (2CBG).  There was a reserve, plus tanks at the Armour School and at the RCEME School.  Each Unit had a Recce Tp, which consisted of 13 ferrets.

Brigade Recce, believe it or not, was the prime function of the Armour Reserves, although the Unit that was in 4 CMBG (all the Regiments rotated through Germany) had a unique Brigade Recce Sqn.  The Squadron had three troops of Ferrets, plus a LOH troop.  The LOH's that I remember were Hillyers.  Armour Officers flew the LOH, and were not only trained pilots, they could also call in Artillery and fast air.  The Artillery also had a "air" troop, consisting of FOO's flying around in L19's.  That's one reason why our training areas are covered with abandoned air fields.

But, I digress.  In a conventional battlefield scenario, Brigade Recce has always been conducted by one squadron.  A Brigade does not have that big a frontage that it needs any more than that.  We presently have three Brigades, the Recce Squadrons would do just fine, assuming conventional warfare.

If, somehow, we managed to recruit enough people in to the Army, we may be able to have two tank squadrons per Regiment, plus Brigade Recce Sqn.  Two tank squadrons times three Units, plus tanks for the two Schools, plus reserves, would require us to buy somewhere around 170 - 180 tanks.  That's a lot of tanks, and a lot of soldiers, that would only be really worthwhile if we are going to be involved in conventional warfare.  Food for thought.

But, IF the improbable (and my dream) comes true, then I think that the ideal tank for us to buy would be the Leopard 2A5.  I say that, because, for one thing, they are almost all rebuilt 2A4's, and the price is reasonable compared to the new built 2A6.  For another, the FCS is nigh-identacle to the C2, shortening conversion training for both crewman and FCS Techs.  And the FCS in our tank is pretty darn good. 

OK, so my dream is that we buy a couple hundred Leo 2A5's plus, to sweeten the pot, we buy a bunch of Wiesel to give the the Armour Reserve, so that they have a proper recce vehicle to train on.  Then we buy a few hundred CV9030, so the Infantry have a tracked vehicle to play with.  (So they can keep up to the tanks and support us properly...)  And maybe a few PZH2000 for the Artillery, so they have something besides 105 to play with.....

Welcome to Lance's dream world........

What does Lance do to replace the M548 in his dream world? Reading about the thunder run in Iraq, resupplying was a real bit*h and cost a number of lives. I wonder if a cutdown LAV carry pallets would work?

Well, if I was going to have a tracked Battle Group, or Brigade even, I would like to keep it tracks as much as possible.  How many times have we seen tanks leaving a hide to get resupplied, because the resupply couldn't get to them?  For the short term, becasue I really don't see anything a whole heck of a lot better out there, I would stay with the MTVC.  (Mobile tactical vehicle light, cargo)

Yes, it's just a rebuilt and modified 113, but we do have a few of them around......

Some interesting videos for you CV90 Fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAsR7m1wXM0
CV90s outstanding off-road capabilities. Notice the Bradley that doesn't get anywhere in the snow and that it takes alot to get stuck with a CV90, luckely they had a two Bv206 to pull the CV90 out of the mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyzLAAfS2s
An overview of the CV9030. I didn't know it could engage air targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsgZZeJqhE
A CV9040 weapons demonstration video. Displaying accuracy and various munition types on multiple targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTP_vyAybrc
CV9040/56. CV9040 fitted with BILL 2 ATGW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_VrWUKXpdA
CV90120 Tank display/commercial.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=80450#post80450

I remember seeing a variant of the MTVL with a pickup truck type flatbed on the back that looked like it was destined to be the new M548.  Maybe 2-3 years ago in the K-lines at the Armour School.

Um, did lose a whole week or two on this topic??

Anyhow, here's a cool CV90 vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okly05HmKEA&eurl=

Bzzliteyr said:
Um, did lose a whole week or two on this topic??

Anyhow, here's a cool CV90 vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okly05HmKEA&eurl=

Nice - noticed that it sorta skidded to a halt -  probably didn't have it's winter tracks installed ;)

but............here is one on the BV90's mobility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAsR7m1wXM0&NR

My only beef with the vehicle is the rear door for the troops to bail from.
Wider than what we had with the Cougar/Grizzly but, when you compare to the ramp we have on the M113 AND the LAVIII, I think it's going in the wrong direction.

Those must be infanteers in the turret.. I can see their kneecaps..

The Brad seems to have a taller troop compartment, anyone here crawled through both the Brad and the CV90 who can give a comparison on troop comfort and space?

From watching the videos.. I can seriously say I'd compare the CV90 to a BMP when it come to size..they seem to have the same low profile troop areas. 

Agreed, at least it doesn't have the fuel tank doors!! The Bradley strikes me as more "liviable".

geo said:
My only beef with the vehicle is the rear door for the troops to bail from.
Wider than what we had with the Cougar/Grizzly but, when you compare to the ramp we have on the M113 AND the LAVIII, I think it's going in the wrong direction.

The Swiss version has a power-operated ramp instead of the door This model is known as the CV9030CH and also has the troop compartment roof raised 140mm, and a squad leader cupola with 7 periscopes fitted at the rear of the troop compartment.

Information copied from Jane's Armour And Artillery 2006-2007, Page 406.

Back