• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CV90 Fan Page

Swedish platoon at NTC. :)

bild3850.jpg

bild4850.jpg

How come the guys in that Swedish platoon have Canadian flags on their uniforms?

is that how the NTC designates the OPFOR these days?  ;D

I hadnt noticed. I know the CV-90 isnt Canadian though. There were a number of allied units at the NTC to practice FF avoidance. The ex was Bold Quest;)

ArmyRick said:
Don't think it will happen anytime soon.

I bet that a year ago you would said the same about the Leo 2, wars do strange things to government purchasing plans, although I admit with the long list of things to fix, a new IFV is likely a long way down. But a good showing in a war zone may get peoples attention.

ArmyRick said:
Don't think it will happen anytime soon.

That all depends on how you define "soon". I have seen the requirement for a tracked IFV mentioned in a few documents... now whether that ever amounts to anything is another matter. I don't think it would be a UOR item however, so were are probably talking the usual multi-year procurement process...

COBRA-6 said:
That all depends on how you define "soon". I have seen the requirement for a tracked IFV mentioned in a few documents... now whether that ever amounts to anything is another matter. I don't think it would be a UOR item however, so were are probably talking the usual multi-year procurement process...

After what I have read so far about the speed of procurement´s in Canada, maybe we will have started phasing out our PUMA IFV when you are have come to an conclusion.  ;D

SCNR,
ironduke57 ;)

ironduke57 said:
After what I have read so far about the speed of procurement´s in Canada, maybe we will have started phasing out our PUMA IFV when you are have come to an conclusion.  ;D

SCNR,
ironduke57 ;)

Well, that worked for the Leopard 2's............................................... :eek:

Looks like a nice piece of kit. Since the export versions use varriants of the Bushmaster gun we could probably even use the same one as on the current LAV III's. Those plus some of the 120 light tanks, some armoured recovery vehicles, maybe even some command vehicles et voila. Now just convincing the tax payers who still think we just bought some submarines from the UK, new helicopters (the Cyclones), and new C-17s that this would a beneficial purchase. Its a snowballs chance in Haedes. Though after reading all the threads on all the boards about it im inclined to jump on the band wagon with this piece too. As long as the 120s arent scheduled to phase out Leos (as the MGS was) as these are supposedly only light tanks.

In common sense world, the CV90 could never replace a Leo. Now in political lala land though...

I saw the CV 9040 AAV this week as a static and I was wondering a few things:

1. Is it fire on the move capable? I tried to view some footage, and everytime the vehicle is shooting, it is standing still.

2. What is the reaction time from detection of a potential target until engaging (pressing the button to fire)? And what are the exact procedures to this?

wegwerpaansteker said:
I saw the CV 9040 AAV this week as a static and I was wondering a few things:

1. Is it fire on the move capable? I tried to view some footage, and everytime the vehicle is shooting, it is standing still.

Depends on the configuration.  I think that the CV9040 in its original form didn't have a stabilised turret, but I think that the upgraded CV9040C is.  This footage on YouTube certainly shows it firing accurately on the move:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsgZZeJqhE

The CV9030 for the Norwegian and Swiss Army and CV9035 for the Danish and Dutch Army are stabilised with a respective 30mm and 35mm weapon system.

Matt_Fisher said:
Depends on the configuration.  I think that the CV9040 in its original form didn't have a stabilised turret, but I think that the upgraded CV9040C is.  This footage on YouTube certainly shows it firing accurately on the move:

The CV9030 for the Norwegian and Swiss Army and CV9035 for the Danish and Dutch Army are stabilised with a respective 30mm and 35mm weapon system.

Yeah, but the CV 90's you mentioned are the IFV's. How about firing on the move and reaction time from detection to engaging with the CV 9040 AAV / Lvkv 90?

wegwerpaansteker said:
Yeah, but the CV 90's you mentioned are the IFV's. How about firing on the move and reaction time from detection to engaging with the CV 9040 AAV / Lvkv 90?

Did you challenge one to a duel?

Matt_Fisher said:

The CV9040A,B and C in original form have a stabilised turret.

The CV90 have the most advansed hightech in the world.

many of all this i have read here have get me a good laugh. I have been working with this CV90 series and know the chassie and guns very well.
the chassie is maked by the BAE Systems Hägglunds and the tower/main gun Bofors. All of this hichtech US. using, have they got help from Swedish
hightech enginering. 

I am making the first and largest RC controlled CV9040 able to change to CV90120 tower in 1/4 scale
and got access to to all prints CV90 series have.

SwedishRaven

CANADIAN FORCES LOOKS AT CV90 FOR NEW CLOSE COMBAT VEHICLE

The Defence Department and the Canadian Army are looking at the CV90 as a possible candidate for a new close combat vehicle (aka infantry fighting vehicle).

The close combat vehicle program, which has yet to receive approval, would see the acquisition of new vehicles to accompany Leopard 2 tanks into the field.

Defence sources say the current LAV-3 does not have the mobility needed for the job in off-road conditions. The likely preferred option is to go for a tracked vehicle. The equipment program is one of three new projects that will be presented to Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

The CV90 had been previously looked at by the Army when it was first in development but there were concerns about its cost. But now the vehicle has proven itself and is in service with a number of armies, making it more attractive to the Canadian Forces, according to several sources.

The CV90 family has been developed to meet the requirements in six different countries; Sweden, Norway, Finland, Switzerland, Holland and Denmark, according to officials with BAE, the firm that builds the vehicles. The latest version is called 9035 MkIII and is sold to Holland and Denmark.

There are a number of variants in the CV90 family. CV9030 was originally developed to meet the requirements of the Norwegian army and is outfitted with the Bushmaster II cannon in the 30 mm two man turret. It also carries an add on armour kit.

The CV9030 MkII is a further development of the CV9030 design to meet the Swiss and Finnish armies requirements. It is equipped with the digitized Vehicle Information System (VIS) and also a fully stabilized 30/40 mm Bushmaster II/Mk44 cannon, according to BAE

CV9040 is in service with the Swedish Army; it carries an eight men section and is fitted with a Bofors 40 mm cannon. The CV9040 is primarily deployed with the Main Battle Tank in the Swedish Mechanized Brigades.

The CV90 has been used overseas in Liberia and in Afghanistan. Norwegian troops in Mazar-e-Sharif used the vehicles in a counterattack against insurgents in late 2007. It was also used this May against Taliban in Badghis Province. The Norwegian news media reported as many as 65 insurgents were killed in that battle.

According to globalsecurity.org the 40 mm Bofors auto cannon assures lethality to all other light armored vehicles and even offers a chance to kill enemy tanks from flanking positions with its APFSDS-T ammo.

Courtesy of the CV90 manufacturer BAE here is a  photo of a CV90 in Afghanistan can be seen here:
- http://davidpugliesemilitaryphotos.blogspot.com/2008/11/cv90-photo-1-posted-by-david-********.html
- http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2008/11/17/canadian-forces-looks-at-cv90-for-new-close-combat-vehicle.aspx

Regards,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
- http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2008/11/17/canadian-forces-looks-at-cv90-for-new-close-combat-vehicle.aspx

Regards,
ironduke57

Huh, not totally unexpected.  I wonder what the numbers would, I would imagine only enough for a battle group. 

Back