• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tacvest Mods

For us kitsluts out there, a word of advice is to keep all the receipts of the gear you buy and talk to your tax accountant, as you can claim a portion of what you spend against your taxable income as work-related expenses.

Re: Buying good kit instead of fucking around with what you've got...

GO!!! - You're right, there is no substitute for proper kit but the sad truth is that we're not all fortunate enough to be in units which allow this sort of freedom. I've been told i'm not even allowed to wear the cadpat rig i've shown above in the field, nor are we allowed to wear magnums in any context. In fact, i'm sure if certin ppl knew the difference between Danners and the issue goretx cold/wet weather, i'd be told to take them off too. The other side of it is, you can't really expect the average reservist to go out and blow $500 on the latest eagle industries rig for the sake of going on one or two weeken exes a month. It's just not realistic.

But make no mistake, i plan to get my butt to Afghanistan when 3RCR goes next year, and if/when i'm loaded, and CoC permitting, i'll be sparing no expense when it comes to kit. But at this point, and i think this applies to most reservists, given the inflexible nature of policies in reserve units (based largely in the igorance and inexperience of the old dinosaurs), you can't really blame us for going with the "ghetto" option at least until we know we're going somewhere.

I'm not trying to start shit, i'm just saying, most of cannot justify spending that kind of cash, esp when we can't even wear the stuff.

There is a big difference in the reg and reserve world here -- (not a flame - but a realistic point) noted in both GO!!!'s and Ham Sandwich's posts.

The regular force infanteer will have months of use of gear in the period of a year, while the reservist may use the gear 2x a month (okay Firday evening Sat and Sunday) and depending their age and employement a course and/or concentration during the summer.

Add in the majority of the Reserve CoC has no overseas let alone combat experience and you can see why it is 1) Hard to justify kit for most reservists 2) Hard to figure out why the current kit sucks 3) Hard to find a CoC that will agree with #1 and #2.

However for reservists going to Afghan -- train as you fight -- for you fight as you train.
  Right before you deploy is NOT the time to buy a metric shitload of funky kit.

I agree with all of the posts above. I posted the mods because it is a cheap and easy way to improve the tac vest, mainly for reservists. I agree with ham that it is un-practical for us weekend warriors to go out and spend tons of money on kit. That being saud I already have my rig set up for 1-08.

I know on 1-06 we got the word that we could use non issue rigs quite early so I used mine on work up trg. I agree with what Kevin has said, once you get in theater is not the time to start using something completely new.

+1 Kev......The COC should be approving personal kit at the beginning of work-up training not at the end of it. Things have progressed in the way that they are allowing guys to use what works but they now need to understand that a soldier needs to train with the same kit he is going to use.

okay now I've heard this from various people with various ranks and capbadges and I want to get this confirmed.
I've been told several times that the CDS has actually approved for troops to wear non-issued vests whilst out playing soldier in the ghan. is this true or not?
Greg

Just tell them that "Rick said so"  -- I doubt anyone would have the balls to call you on it.
  Even if he did not can you imagine the look on a CSM's face when your Assisting Officer names the CDS are a defense witness  ;D

As far as TAC VEST Mods, aside from the issue of current Mag capacity, does anyone have complaints about the use of Fastex to secure the mags.  The reason i ask is in most of the photos I have seen of soldiers in Afghanistan, the Fastex buckles are not used and they only use the Velcro to secure the mag. I understand that this allows quicker access to mags which I do myself.

Was this issue submitted as part of the Mag capacity UCR? Has the method of securing the mag been addressed at all? I understand that this is probably second to the mag capacity issued however it just seems that they went Fastex crazy in developing the vest.

A possible solution would be something that was on the Old "Jean jacket" LBV. I used the OD LBV and found that in my experience the Velcro flaps and the snap buttons worked great. As seen in the Trial vest photo, they were at one point considering using the "Velcro flap button snap" combo. Anyone have any other thoughts or recommendations on securing the mags? Any Mods?
My 2 Cents.

Infidel-6 said:
Just tell them that "Rick said so"  -- I doubt anyone would have the balls to call you on it.
  Even if he did not can you imagine the look on a CSM's face when your Assisting Officer names the CDS are a defense witness  ;D

we call em the newfoundland bad boy right now :D
that would be some fun. I remember a charge parade the guy said he thought he wasn't at fault for the nd he had. ahh memories.
I'm already in the bad books with my csm, don't need to make it any worse as it is, I was just wondering if that was true?
Greg

One of the problems with the tacvest is that the mags are hard to get in and out. The mag pouch should just have a flap as opposed to a lid. A velcro flap with a fastex buckle would be fine, also the mag pouch is too long, more of the mag should be sticking out to make it easier to grab.

So.. we got together for our first "TF 03-07" parade yesterday... and at the end of it, after the CO had gone.. the RSM decided to chime in with a "don't even think about wearing your tan boots until we are getting on the planes to head overseas"!!!  This, combined with my prior questions to my CoC about custom kit (and being told, not with the Vandoos) and the fact that questions to one of our recently returned 5 Bde personnel resulted in him telling me about the fact that the PPCLI had high speed boots in Afghan and that he had to wear his black cadillacs, has me worried.

It was also suggested druing the parade speech, that we were going to "make some changes"... I have no clue what that meant.. but I worry a little bit.

Bzzliteyr said:
So.. we got together for our first "TF 03-07" parade yesterday... and at the end of it, after the CO had gone.. the RSM decided to chime in with a "don't even think about wearing your tan boots until we are getting on the planes to head overseas"!!! 

I'd agree with your sentiments on the tan boots, but it would seem that there was indeed a CANFORGEN released last year that emphasized the fact that these boots were NOT to be worn until overseas. If he had said anything different, he would have been sanctionning the disregardal of that directive (ie order) released in the CANFORGEN. Just a thought.

Is it entirely unreasonable to want to break one's boots in before deploying in them?

GO!!! said:
Is it entirely unreasonable to want to break one's boots in before deploying in them?

Talk to the guy that puts out the CANFORGENs GO!!!  :D

GO!!! said:

for the last time, stop making sense  ::)

(note the sarcasm)

Bzzliteyr said:
So.. we got together for our first "TF 03-07" parade yesterday... and at the end of it, after the CO had gone.. the RSM decided to chime in with a "don't even think about wearing your tan boots until we are getting on the planes to head overseas"!!! 

Funny that,

The entirety of TF 3-06 Battle group donned full tans (includign boots... for those who had them) immediately after the Ex in Wainwright, and all of our greens were either packed away or shipped overseas (yes, they told us to ship our greens to Afghanistan).

The reason for this blatant disregard for the CANFORGEN;
- To assess who didn't have the kit (boots, tans, etc)
- To break in kit before operational use
- To free up the greens for shipping
- And I think there was a little LCF in there some where

Guess the rules only apply to those who choose to follow them.
shrug01.gif

My impression after the parade was the our "lanes" were going to be very tight.. I will have more info upon my return from Texas at the end of the month.  I believe the tan boot reference was with regards to everyone on base asking permisson to wear our ISSUED tan boots down to Texas) where we are simulating the environment we will encounter overseas.  Almost all have them from previous tours.  That would make sense, wouldn't it?

Bzzliteyr said:
My impression after the parade was the our "lanes" were going to be very tight.. I will have more info upon my return from Texas at the end of the month.  I believe the tan boot reference was with regards to everyone on base asking permisson to wear our ISSUED tan boots down to Texas) where we are simulating the environment we will encounter overseas.  Almost all have them from previous tours.  That would make sense, wouldn't it?

Texas?

What a load of BS. I have had to train for the desert in Wainwright and Gagetown in the fall and winter - for two tours now. We coul'nt wear tan boots either - we needed mukluks :'(.

going right now to get a few things modified to the vest (but can still come off)
one or two double mag pouches (all depends on how easy it is to get ahold of the bottom one) where the bayonet use to be mounted.
a compass/gps/cell phone holder for the left shoulder.
I might have to find a way to mount a reliable first aid pouch, like the TT one I just bought.
it would be so much easier if I didn't have to jump the vest *sigh*
Greg

I'm still strongly debating having my TV modified; double mag pouches, new molle back pannel, etc.  But it some how doesn't seem worth it for a reservist, even though I now know how useless the TV (as is) is in combat... 

Train the way you fight, carry what you would into combat.

oh well..

Back