• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tacvest Mods

Jay4th said:
At least three proper UCR's went up just in my Company.  The form is on thie DIN, you just fill it out and e-mail it up.  We also put up some on the tri-rail and the Ambidex safety IIRC.  The more well articulated UCR's they get from troops who used the kit on ops the better.

Now that I know about this process, I will definitely be writing out a few UCR's, and I will be encouraging others from Charles Coy to do the same. :cheers:

And as was stated in this thread, there is a whole other thread devoted to the sheer ****-knockery that is the issued tactical vest , so I won't get into a rant about how useless it is and how much I want to set mine on fire.   Instead, I will simply voice my oppinion to anyone of greater tactical importance who will listen in the hopes that, some day, some one will take up my cause and rid the forces (or at least the combat arms) of these useless items and replace them with substantially less useless items. (hoping for completely usefull items is a long shot, so I will settle for just less useless... but I'll still dream.)

Jay4th has it bang on here folks. Problems with kit? Any kit...UCRs are the way to go.

RHFC_piper said:
rid the forces (or at least the combat arms) of these useless items and replace them with substantially less useless items.

So, less junk and more Duct Tape, eh?

The Librarian said:
Jay4th has it bang on here folks. Problems with kit? Any kit...UCRs are the way to go.

Since you're the one who would know; Do these UCRs just get passed up the CoC, or is there a specific person / department to email?  I just want to ensure they get where they need to go to get the best results.

Sorry, hit the wrong darn button...again. I am a numpty!!  ;D Vern

RHFC_piper said:
Since you're the one who would know; Do these UCRs just get passed up the CoC, or is there a specific person / department to email?  I just want to ensure they get where they need to go to get the best results.

I'll post the DIN link up tomorrow at work. The site contains the form for electronic submission and how to go about submitting/tracking it.

The Librarian said:

Or we could just hope that the mass of pictures of troops in afghanistan wearing non issued rigs gets some wheels turning at the DLR.

R031button said:
Or we could just hope that the mass of pictures of troops in afghanistan wearing non issued rigs gets some wheels turning at the DLR.

Or not. Ladies and gents there is a proper way to get things done. Your plan above hasn't seen any improvements since the issue of the TV...years ago now.

This is why UCRs exist. If you don't use them, don't complain when nothing happens. UCR = Unsatifactory Condition Report. It's an official document. Unsatisfied with your kit? Use it.

The Librarian said:
Or not. Ladies and gents there is a proper way to get things done. You're plan above hasn't seen any improvements since the issue of the TV...years ago now.

This is why UCRs exist. If you don't use them, don't complain when nothing happens. UCR = Unsatifactory Condition Report. It's an official document. Unsatisfied with your kit? Use it.

It's been well documented by other members of this forum that said UCR have been sent, repeatedly, and by multiple units.

UCRs can be submitted by individuals.

3 UCRs from a company full of pers, or a Coy full of pers submitting UCRs, which is going to really show that the troops are not happy?

And unless they are submitted properly as per the link I'm going to post tomorrow with electronic tracking, they can, and do, get lost in NDHQ...it's an awful big place.

UCRs have their own DIN site, it's there for submissions.

I'll tell you what, a UCR has one signature block on it for "originator" when only one goes in, it's just like only one pers is complaining.
At clothing stores, during the first run of cadpat uniforms (if you've been around long enough to remember - which you have not) they were fading/deteriorating very quickly. Immediately, we had each person who came into clothing stores fill in a UCR at the counter. This was before they were electronic. We submitted them by the hundreds....guess what happened very quickly? It got fixed.

Perhaps though you are right, I may be out of my lane talking about UCRs.  ;)

dang, owned another lad on the board without once cursing. I don't know how you do it.
must be the infantry in me that makes me want to swear more
is it easy said UCR on the din? I don't even know where to look. might as well fill out a couple, and muckle onto some of the guys and make em fill some out too.
Greg

Yeoman said:
dang, owned another lad on the board without once cursing. I don't know how you do it.
must be the infantry in me that makes me want to swear more
is it easy said UCR on the din? I don't even know where to look. might as well fill out a couple, and muckle onto some of the guys and make em fill some out too.
Greg

It's actually a quite simple process. I'll post up the link today.

PS...I already 'own' a member of The RCR at home, perhaps it's habit. I can swear with the best of you; you just don't want to hear me swearing!!  ;)

That sounds like a good idea.  Maybe a link to the UCR site should be stickied in the equipment section so that troops going online here to voice concerns over the TV or other issued kit can send their comments to the right place.

Would it help if most people submitted UCR's with similar suggestions.?  I.E. that there should be more capacity for magazines and ammo and the vest should be more modular with MOLLE type straps.

I'm going to bring this link to the attention of every rifleman in my Coy as soon as possible.  It's about time something got done on this. 

If it is true what I've heard about this thing being someone's pet project then I'm bloody disgusted.  This is my life and my performance in combat that is at risk because someone couldn't do proper R&D to identify the needs of modern infantry combat.  Hell they could have spent a lot less by just listening to young infanteers in the first place.

If it's any consolation - and I know that it's not - this pet-project mentality exists elsewhere too. Almost twenty years ago when I was the NBC O in 444 Squadron in Lahr I UCRed every single piece of aircrew NBC kit except for the rubber boots, which, being the standard issue type, were the only thing that worked out of the whole lot. The rest of the mask and suit would have destroyed our whole operation within twenty-four hours even without the enemy actually using chemicals. The worst piece was the AR-5 mask, a heavy-duty black condom with a window and fighter oxygen mask that required a battery-operated (big battery) electric motor to provide positive pressure. That meant that one had to wear one's flying helmet with the mask at all times in order to keep the mask part against one's face and avoid the comical spectacle of one's black-clad head alternately expanding and contracting as inhalation and exhalation worked either with or against the blower/filter motor. A room full of aircrew with unsynchronized growing/shrinking heads was a real visual treat, accompanied by a symphony of mini vacuum-cleaner sounds. There was no voice transmitter, so a four-by-six-by-two-inch speaker/microphone unit had to be plugged in in order to hear and speak, and it was both highly directional and inadequate. There was no way to mask in the standard nine seconds - it took many minutes and at least one assistant.

The bozo ramming this down our throat refused to even consider the AC4 mask, a simple adaptation of the standard C4, which worked quite well, could be produced in the field by one man with a sewing machine, a C4 mask, and some other pieces, and cost $700.00 vice the AR-5's $7000.00.

The two-layer suit prevented one from doing the standard urination and defecation drills. I wanted a slightly longer zipper, as the original one came down to mid-fly level, and the "official" solution came down to a condom with a tube and bag to wear under the already too-tight suit. As the condom tended to get blasted off in trials, the suggested method of retention was.... denture adhesive. As for the defecation problem, we were told that "the adult diaper industry has made great strides lately". Fortunately, that idiocy died quickly when I had a couple of opportunities to lampoon it publicly.

The same twit who was pushing this also spawned the blue version of the goretex clothing onto our techs, who were left with very nice clothing to wear when working out of a nice warm(ish) hangar in garrison, but had to revert to the standard old combat clothing in the field.

Getting sensible kit is a huge uphill battle.

I can readily identify with Kevin's proposed solution. I felt the same at the time.

Wolfe,

Let me assure you that the Tac Vest was a collective effort and can NOT be laid at the feet of any one pers.

Truly, if just one individual were able to make things appear within the CF system, I'm sure the CDS would have had all 3 of our elements fixed up by now.

Just my .02cents.

For those of you who'd like the UCR (CF 777) info, you can send me a PM.

Be advised that simply spamming the system with them will get you no where. The are blocks that need to be filled in appropriately, and suggestions/shortcomings (specificly) that you'll need to be prepared to put in writing. "It's sucks" won't cut it. 

You are also going to need to find out who your UCR Co-ordinator is for your base. In this case, contact your clothing stores or Base Supply (Cust Services sect) as they may be able to provide.

The DIN site I referred to earlier has been moved from the MA&S Desktop site to the Mat Knet, but has not yet been converted for use. I'll post the link when it is converted and running.

Librarian is absolutely right. I passed mine up in straight to my OC as per his request, he tweaked it with his military writing skills and sent it BACK down to me.  I then submitted each of them with photos of the fault, and photos of possible replacement along with contact info of the manufacturer/distributor.  You must think these things out, know who manufactured the issue item, and NSN.  Be constructive and thorough or it will be dismissed as bitching.  The website explains the proces well.

Keep in mind some UCR's that where submitted by individuals and companies - have been deleted from the system...
  - How do I know that -- well I wrote some of them

Since I am going over very soon, and don't have money for Gucci kit, I made two very simple mods:

1. Attaching a drop bag (using Zap Straps) to the left front edge of the tac vest, and

2. Getting a chest rig and 4X C7 mag pouches (holding 2 mags each) which can be put over top pf the Tac Vest (the other pouches for medical kit etc are still available).

Since the soldier suggested mods (modular attachment points, more ammunition storage, clear sides) are not really rocket science; it is difficult to understand what is taking so long.......

Art -- I sent a vest to LoneWolfQuag -- if Quag has not destroyed it (or if he buys it) your welcome too it.

No worries Kev.  I wasn't sure which way you wanted to go.  I will wash it when I get back and send it on its way.  Art when are you going to be here?

Back