• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tacvest Mods

Lerch -- hand over the shovel you've dug deep enough already

"knowing" about kit, and actually understanding and having experience in how it will be used are drastically different things. To know a piece of equipment is to have an understanding of the role you will fill and how the piece of equipment addresses the needs of that role. If you do not understand the role, then you cannot understand how the equipment addresses it. In short, with respect, you have no clue what you are talking about so don't talk.

Okay guys -- he got put back in his lane -- lets get back to the issue at hand.

Getting this train back on the tracks...
What about a closure like the Esstac Split Front Boar? Maybe adding some snaps just for insurance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/esstac/splitfront002.jpg

Also would the built in mag pouches be removeable like the Boar, or would they be sewn in like the hellcat?

I wouldnt add snaps, I think side release buckles would do the trick. Something like this

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=104

Troopasaurus, do you have any more pics of the split front BOAR? I hope you are not intending to wear that ACU around the unit......As far as I am concerned as long as it is Cadpat youa re good to go. O do like the BOAR though.

That's just a picture from the Esstac photobucket site... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v321/esstac/

I worked with a guy on enemy force over the summer that had a split front bush boar in CADPAT however; It seemed to work great, he was pleased with it.

I'm planning on picking up a bunch of CADPAT pouches over the Holidays for my Hellcat so i hope to be wearing that in the new year.

see that's what I was thinking of doing with my webbing belt and attaching it to the TV. it's just not as high speed and expensive is all.
I've seen a couple of guys at work attach more mag pouches to the TV by putting them where the baynoette use to go on the front of the TV (sop here is over top the water bottle pouch for said stabby thing)
Greg

Gentlemen

I'm looking to make a Tac Vest mod to address the issue of mag capacity.
Basically what I am looking to do is replace the single mag pouches with double mag pouches

The question i have is regarding which aftermarket pouch should i consider?

Double Mag, CADPAT... thats basicly the requirement... any suggestions?

Also, what are the thoughts on closures for the pouches, velcro only? clip? both? other???
I'm inclined towards a velcro only closure, but I have no actual experience with such a set up, anyone???

Thanks!

Although I'm not encouraging permanently modifying issued kit, there is at least one soldier who did it. Took a bit of searching. I knew there was a photo posted outthere before. See link for photo. See link for previously discussed post. I think he used a Dropzone Tactical Mag Pouches, removed the single ones and got the double ones sewn on.

Photo
http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=10842&site=combatcamera

Forum  Discussion Link
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39948.0.html

Are you deploying on the next Task force?
Hope this info helps a bit.

MPSHIELD
thanks, so it can be done, and looks like it works... i would never make a permanent mod to my kit, not me, not ever.... ;)
as for your question, i was in Kabul in 05, the mag issued pissed me off then (not that we needed more at that point) but if i do go over again i'd either mod the issued vest or go with an aftermarket rig.... just looking for future options

Riggermade
I was looking to hear from trigger pullers who have used diffrent types of closures, i know whats out there.... but like i said, i've never used a velcro pouch, for all i know there might be a strong opinion among guys who have that is negative or positive. I realise the common sence behind velcro being quicker then buckles... any velcro closure pouch users out there?

Army Outfitters
What did you accomplish/contribute with you posting? btw you website doesnt work, i suggest you fix that before you embarass yourself by including it in your profile....

Mr. Bobbit
i know you already addressed him... sorry, but the "business professional/kit guru" ticked me off....

Desert Fox,

Several points. I have a fair bit of experience with the mods (It was guys in my Pl that had Al Janes make the mods to their vests). What they did was have the normal mag pouches removed and had a PALS panel put in their place. They had pals put on the back of the issue mag pouches so they could return their vest to a state where it at least looked normal. They mostly used Dropzone rattle resistor mag pouches.

There are pro's and con's to this mod. On the plus side it increases your mag capacity however I think that the cons out weigh the pros. I know a couple guys had some issues with the mesh starting to rip (the entire front of the vest is mesh, by adding the pouches you are doubling the weight on the mesh), I also know some guys ended up not liking it as it made accessing the lower pouches on the vest very dificult. That being said a lot of guys that did the mod liked it and it worked for them, to each his own I guess.

I decided to go with the non-permanent mod (as shown early in this thread) for my vest for several reasons. Having to turn in a modified vest is NOT a concern I have, and I question people that are concerned about this. If you are deploying and using the vest you are putting your life in the hands of your equipment. I needs to work and anything that can be done to make it work should be done. If you end having to pay some money 10 years down the road so be it, at least you will be there down the road to pay it. The main reasons that I didnt make the permanent mod that you are talking is because a) I dont think it is a very good solution and more importantly b) it is quite costly. I chose to spend my money on a complete non issue rig as opposed to spending the money on the mod. Again, personal preference.

As for mag closure, again personal preference. I personally prefer just velcro closure. I find it faster and more streamlined. But, and theres always a but, it depends where the pouch is mounted and how it will be used. For the mod I made to my vest I chose pouches with fastex closure because the pouches are mounted in a position which makes them much more prone to accidentally opening. If you need the security get the fastex, if they are mounted on your chest and you need the speed go with velcro.

Hopefully this helps, merry Christmas.

Phil, thank you... very infromative reply... exactly what i was hoping to get....

i didnt think that the POS would actually rip from the extra weight...

if i do go play in the sand box again i'll be going with an aftermarket rig, you've got me converted... what have used/reccomend?

Cheers!

Merry Christmas...

When I was there on 1-06 I used a tactical tailor MAV with an assortment of pouches from HSGI, TT, and ESSTAC (all bought at Daves army surplus) (3 triple mag pouches, 2 frag pouches, an IFAK pouch, and a med size gp pouch for smoke and other shit). It worked quite well but I am planning on changing if I go back on 1-08. I plan on going with an Eagle Plate Carrier w. Cummberbun. Also I plan on switching up to normal velcro closure double mag pouches.

Off topic-Army Outfitters-Is there a reason you used my name in that quote? Was it a cut and paste mistake?

Back on Topic-PhilB, I like the Mod you did in the photos. Nothing permanent but made use of what you had. Very Good Idea. I too like Velcro. I wish we didn't have Fastech but Velcro on our TV's, too slow to get at. Thanks again for the info.

Desert Fox-Glad I can assist. The only reason I ask about a tour is because I'm not sure you are aware that they issue the TV's in AR in theatre if you go outside of the wire. If the Mod you are looking for is for everyday use in Canada then it is good to go. I was just thinking you were doing something specifically because you were going overseas. I was worried you would have done all the mod for nothing as they issue "outside the wire guys" another TV (TV AR) in Theatre (unless they changed things recently). That's all. You have posted an answer before i posted this. ooops.

For mags -- I prefer mine lower down and with a friction fit retention backed by a elastic loop for more agressive activities.
grenades and smoke I prefer with velcro and a button snap - its easy to pull the snap tongue

I run ESSTAC pouches affixed to the CIRAS and TT's on the ESSTAC's (they are different height -- and gives easier access to the mags)

kit.jpg

Iraq030.jpg

Iraq026.jpg

People have to resist adding the kitchen sink to their vest -- since they still need to be able to Shoot - MOVE - and communicate in it.
  Keep in mind adopting fire postions, exiting vehicles and movement thru dwellings or other confined spaces.

I asked the question about vests and options for TF03-07 during one of our OC's hours.. the answer was "not gonna happen".  Apparently they are going to crack down on this practice soon.  I hope he is misinformed as I am a smaller build person and would like to buy a nice combo that will fit me well.. yes the tacvest has adjustments, but not to my liking yet..

From what I have heard, 3-06 was told the same thing before they deployed. Once they got in theater the policy quickly changed. Someone please correct me if I am off base, as I wasn't there.

Back