• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tacvest Mods

RHFC_piper said:
I'm still strongly debating having my TV modified; double mag pouches, new molle back pannel, etc.  But it some how doesn't seem worth it for a reservist, even though I now know how useless the TV (as is) is in combat... 

I have all faith in the world that upon my return from this tour, the good kit will go back into my garage, and I will return to using the TV, boots and day bag issued to me.

It's a reality in this army that there are two paralell sets of individual kit, vehicles, weapons, comms gear etc. One is for domestic use, the other for deployments - that goes for us in the reg force as well.

My gucci vest will be great in A'stan, but do you think that will fly at a school when I go there for the next career course? The TV is good enough for the fake trg we all do most of the time in Canada, you know, the events that start out with "fall in for battle" ;).

Yeoman said:
going right now to get a few things modified to the vest (but can still come off)
one or two double mag pouches (all depends on how easy it is to get ahold of the bottom one) where the bayonet use to be mounted.
a compass/gps/cell phone holder for the left shoulder.
I might have to find a way to mount a reliable first aid pouch, like the TT one I just bought.
it would be so much easier if I didn't have to jump the vest *sigh*
Greg

There is a pouch in the works for the DAGR:  It will put it on the left shoulder, fit snugly to the mag pouches  ::).  I relay want to know who comes up with these designs  :threat:, because with this attached; were the hell am I supposed to carry the other 2 mags?

huh, again see what happens when you don't have a log in. you don't learn these things
hey piper; john laporte can do it

that's some of his work. it takes a long time to make the TV into a molle vest, but it's definetely worth it. I know I'd be doing that if I was authorized to.
/end shameless plug to him
no compass pouch yet, but it will be here soon. though I like my triple mag pouch. very fancy and hsld.
Greg

IMHO there is not point in putting that much effort into modding the issue vest into a molle platform. Some small non-permanent ish mods that make it barely workable is good enough, as go said two sets of gear. For the money and time put into modding the vest to that degree you could buy a much more stable and bomb proof after market molle rig and pouches.

it's something like $100 to do the molle pouches
and to pick up triple mag pouches from the guys around here is $20 a pop. just about none of their pouches go over $20 a pop (can't recall what their m249 pouch costs right now)
so really to do that it's actually cheaper then to get a whole new molle platform
I don't mind the tac vest design at all, I just hate the platform they went with.
Greg

Yeoman said:
it's something like $100 to do the molle pouches
and to pick up triple mag pouches from the guys around here is $20 a pop. just about none of their pouches go over $20 a pop (can't recall what their m249 pouch costs right now)
so really to do that it's actually cheaper then to get a whole new molle platform
I don't mind the tac vest design at all, I just hate the platform they went with.
Greg

What do you plan to do when you have to turn it in?  IMO non permint mods are the way to go; they may not make it much better, but functional  ::), also you avoid the charge forwillful destruction of kit.

hey I never said I was going to.
I just said if I was allowed to I would.
can't we just agree that it's at least a nifty idea?
Greg

Yeoman said:
huh, again see what happens when you don't have a log in. you don't learn these things
hey piper; john laporte can do it

that's some of his work. it takes a long time to make the TV into a molle vest, but it's definetely worth it. I know I'd be doing that if I was authorized to.
/end shameless plug to him
no compass pouch yet, but it will be here soon. though I like my triple mag pouch. very fancy and hsld.
Greg

Actually, John's the guy that did the bag covers for me... I know his work well... wore a lot of it over seas. 

I am awaiting the ok from my home units RSM to start selling some of his gear through the kit shop (no go on rigs, but drop legs are looking good so far).

Johns a good guy and makes some awsome gear.  I have lots of pictures of his kit (taken for display in kit shop). 

I would highly suggest his gear to anyone.

:cheers:

Bzzliteyr clearing your upper chain of command are morons.  Here boots were broken in in garrison as GO said the boys trained in the winter as well.  BUT we were allowed to break them in in garrison.  As for moddified kit, well once the shit hit the fan here the RSM at the time said wear what you need.  As for good boots go with Bates Footwear Desert Assault M9 I think they are called with Superfeet insoles.

I realise that there have been many threads dealing with the shortcomings of the issued tac vest and how to improve or replace it to have adequate space for ammunition and stores on operations.  However this thread isn't about just that.  I want to propose that all of the troops who have served on operations, are going to be or who genuinely have a interest in seeing it improved send an email to clothe the soldier to detail what it is we need changed and ask why there doesn't seem to be any action on this front. 

Go here to send in your comments.  http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/8/8_e.asp

I figure if we get enough people to do this that it might prompt a effort to address the shortcomings of the vest.

Personally I am a fan of the shape the vest has,  It is a good base to work off of.  However it doesn't hold the required number of mags needed on operations in places that are easily accessible and it isn't modular enough to allow M203 or C9 gunners the flexibility they need for their battle load.

I hope that by the time I go over to the sandbox there will be a issued system that is adequate for me as an infantry soldier to operate properly.  I don't really want to spend my hard earned cash on kit that should be provided to me nor do I want to get an earfull for wearing non-issued kit from people who never leave the wire. 

What do you all think?  I hope we can all get something positive done here.

UCR's are the approved method of recommending change for issued kit. That being said CTS doesnt want to change the vest. Spend the money, get something that works and you can rely on (p.s. the "platform" the vest is based on is equally as shitty as the finished product)YMMV

At least three proper UCR's went up just in my Company.  The form is on thie DIN, you just fill it out and e-mail it up.  We also put up some on the tri-rail and the Ambidex safety IIRC.  The more well articulated UCR's they get from troops who used the kit on ops the better.

The tac vest...  sucks for the infantry..  no doubt.

Does it suck for medics, rms, etc?

I'm sure it fits the needs for 80% of trades.

Maybe we don't need to get rid of it... but more than likely
get a very specific one for the infantry

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  Infantry needs are pretty different from the rest of the army when it comes to equipment.

The problem with the TV is that it is/was the "pet project" of a certain Major in DLR. It was supposed to be his crowning achievement to make this vest to be all and end all. We told him it was a POS at every turn, and were ignored.

The problem with the TV is the enormous and fragile egos of the designers and procurement people - they will never, ever, under any circumstances acquiesce to a new or improved TV because it would mean that there is something wrong with the old one, which they spent as much as a space shuttle launch designing - independent of input from anyone who would actually use it.

My unit has submitted UCRs from all levels to no avail. The TV will not be replaced or improved until the staff at DLR are cycled out, full stop.

GO!!! said:
The problem with the TV is that it is/was the "pet project" of a certain Major in DLR. It was supposed to be his crowning achievement to make this vest to be all and end all. We told him it was a POS at every turn, and were ignored.

He should come down to Cartier Square on Thursday night. If it's at all like last week, we'll be issued a rifle and ten mags. He can do the same, and we can even give him a couple boxes of C9 to boot.

I cannot abide bureaucratic territoriality...

I believe there is a whole  LONG thread somewhere that addresses
every aspect of this issue.  Do we need a new thread to revisit this?

Don't forget to give him water (lots), body armour, medpacks, M203 grenades, a PRR, etc and so on and so forth....

Trinity said:
I believe there is a whole  LONG thread somewhere that addresses
every aspect of this issue.  Do we need a new thread to revisit this?

yeah -- until someone gets frustrated enough to 1) Snap and do a rampaging shooting of DLR and Soldier Systems pers... 2) Replace the vest. 3) All of the Above.

Infidel-6 said:
yeah -- until someone gets frustrated enough to 1) Snap and do a rampaging shooting of DLR and Soldier Systems pers... 2) Replace the vest. 3) All of the Above.

:rofl:

Is your avatar a "vision" of future events at DLR?  ;)

j/k

But, seriously, this is a serious matter.  Heck, it can be done: it's just a frickin' vest for frick's sakes!  The Germans, in WWII, realised that their basic tank design (MK IV) wasn't good enough, so they überproduced a really good tank (MK V), although rushed with some problem, was quickly solved, in TOTAL WAR conditions, and emerged as the best all-round tank of WWII, outstanding in terms of firepower, protection and mobility!  If they can do that in less than a year under those conditions (even tendering to markets and competitions and all), then by Gum we should produce something MUCH better in less than that time!

Back