• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

That's why I always liked the webbing - even though many of its features were junk in quality, overall it was a good peice of modular kit.  All-in-all, I'm now more prone to a decent chest rig setup, because it won't interfere with a rucksack hip-belt (which should be used if possible).

Britney Spears said:
There's ups and downs to each system, and YMMV. WHen I first joined I thought the webbing was an ill designed monstrosity too. Maybe one day We'll get something better?

I agree with some of what you said except that the trg we did for Afghanistan and while in Afghanistan, we used the TV and packed it our own way ensuring we had the esencials.  The RCR guys who demo'd the TVs packed a hell of a lot into it.  More than I can get into the webbing.  The biggest problem I have with it now is my unit insists on both the rain pants and jacket be in one of the pouches.  I have to tape mine or tie them as small as possible and then stuff them in in order to close the pouch.

Guys, guys. Please. Let the professionals handle this debate.  ::) . Unless this article has already been posted, here is what the 32 Brigade had to say about the Tac Vest. In read it in a monthly issue newsletter type-dealey we have in the brigade, and immediately thought of you guys. Some might enjoy a good laugh.

Link:
http://www.army.dnd.ca/32cbg_hq/News/story_TV_e.htm

Article:
Tactical Vest gets Thumbs Up!

By Second Lieutenant Mike Godwin

TORONTO â “ Carrying essential combat and personal kit has never been easier. The new CADPAT Tactical Vest greatly enhances operational effectiveness. Better yet, the vest offers greater protection by giving soldiers quicker access to combat supplies like ammunition, grenades, flashlights and water. It's here and being issued to all reservists.

The new Tactical Vest system replaces the old 1985 pattern webbing. Who better to say that it's a better piece of kit than the soldiers themselves?

â Å“I think this is one of the best pieces of kit introduced with the Clothe the Soldier Program,â ? says Lieutenant Mark Rittwage, recently returned from Operation Athena in Afghanistan. â Å“It's apparent that the deficiencies plaguing the old webbing were addressed when developing the Tactical Vest.â ?

Hundreds of hours of research, engineering and field trials went into the creation of the system to ensure that it meets the needs of Canadian soldiers. The design provides added ventilation and wider shoulder straps that help to disperse the weight of the load over a larger area.

â Å“Every soldier should have it,â ? says Master Warrant Officer Daphne Germain of G4 Supply. â Å“If they don't then they need to go to their QM and get it.â ?

The Tactical Vest features four fixed C7 magazine pockets, two front utility pockets, two detachable side utility pockets for one C9 ammunition drum and one 2 litre water bottle, two smoke grenade pockets and two M67 grenade pockets. It also sports an inner left-side pocket for carrying maps.

Lieutenant Rittwage says the best thing about the Tactical Vest is that it's practical. â Å“It is easily adjustable, stows ammo and kit where it's accessible, and creates more comfort for the soldier.â ?

2Lt Godwin writes for 32 Canadian Brigade Group and is the Unit Public Affairs Officer at 25 (Toronto) Service Battalion. 

Damn, I guess our 17 pages of griping was out-to-lunch then....

Baloo said:
...â Å“Every soldier should have it,â ? says Master Warrant Officer Daphne Germain of G4 Supply. â Å“If they don't then they need to go to their QM and get it.â ? ...

Ha!  Left hand ... right hand ... Hello?  Apparently the Army doesn't have enough in Petawawa to be able to deploy Roto 3 (which is the reason I was given when I was told to turn my TV back in ...)  ::)

And, when I was issued my TV for Roto 0, I had to turn in my webbing (cutting my name tags off all the pouches was so much fun) ... So, from now on, when I deploy to the field I'll be using what the Army gave me ... my duffle bag.  ::)

That 'news' report was like something you'd read in the Red Army Journal.  I'm suprise that they didn't write in that the story was written by Comrade Second Lieutenant Goldwin.

The two individuals being interviewed are both HQ staff types-I know one of them. I really would rather hear what some raggedy-ass sweaty rifleman has to say. Cheers

http://www.army.dnd.ca/32cbg_hq/News/tacvesthome_e.htm

This page, linked off the previous one, says it all: "Tactical Vest Improves LCF".

Yeah.  That's what matters to us SWAT types: Look Cool Factor.  I couldn't care less if it's functional or not, it looks hardcore.

/snide voice

The TV is a good idea just a poor design, if a little more time went into designing it or even using an existing one we would have been a lot better off.
Due to the fact of its limited flexibility and its limited storage space.

pbi said:
The two individuals being interviewed are both HQ staff types-I know one of them. I really would rather hear what some raggedy-ass sweaty rifleman has to say. Cheers

pbi,

What's that they say about six degrees of separation? ;D I know the one also ;)

I think he might have been referring to his chair. '85 pattern chair that the REMF's so dearly want upgraded.  ;D

So, obviously, the pouch configuration sucks.  I have never worn one, and know that I won't get issued one.

I am just curious.  How is the fitting of the vest itself?  Is the 'main unit / base' comfortable?  Does it get to feel like a comfortable old jacket, or does it just never get comfortable?

Is it OK for making the small adjustments, or is it 3 sizes fits none?

Quentin

The comfort and the adjustment are two things I can't complain about.  The old webbing used to make my hips/waist chafe after a while, whereas I can wear the TV for days and half the time I won't even realize I have it on.

Agreed... Comfort is definitely something that is not lacking in this vest.

the first time i climbed into a truck with it on, it was like a dream come true... Give us C8's and an MLVW with a working heater, and I'll have died and gone to heaven.

Try it with armour and plates -->
  Turn down the suck...

I don't mean to bash anyone experiences with it here - but realistically the system was not designed for operations.   Whiel it might be cosy to drive around in Canada in - once you add the PSP 3rdGen PBA and plates the vest is awkard to the point of incapacitation for some activites.

When we first got them a year and a bit ago - I liked it - it took it to the range and was getting used to it -- then of course reality struck and we had to wear armour again...   And doing off range training the points came out that it could not carry what we need in it.

What we need to carry MINIMUM

Ammo 8-10 mags
Grenades 2 Frag MIN.
Grenades Smk
Distraction Devices (FlashBangs) 2min
PRR (Personal Role Radio_
MNVG (PVS-14) when not in use
Flashlight
Knife
Weapon cleaning kit
Personal First Aid kit.
Water 2-3L
Compass/MAP/GPS (due to the armour the chest pockets on the combat shirt are worthless)
24hrs of batteries (AA and 123's) (for your PEQ/PAC, NVG, Flashlights, GPS etc)
Chew/Dip or hard candies (something to tide your mind off food if you get seperated from your asssault/day bag for a period 12-24hrs)

AND YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO REACH THE POUCHES...

Touche KevinB...

I am after all. speaking from a Mo perspective... I have yet to use it operationally.... (that is a word right?)

as was said many times before, a modular vest would have been the best choice for our army...
Hopefully down the road, the Brass upstairs will understand this and give you guys something that does meet your needs.   :salute:

Hi all:
I've been quietly following the debate and I've found it absolutely fascinating as well as eye opening. So I must admit that I laughed my head off at the breathless gee whiz article written by the 2nd LT and the gushing kudos by a supply sergent on the how the tactical vest is the gosh darn best piece of infantry equipment ever devised by an army. And it looks cool enough for Canadian soldiers to make it as the RAIDS and Soldier of fortune magazines' gucchi kit centrefold cover model of the month too  :)
In any case, I bet the brass and the deskbound commandos would be quite irritated if the article quoted the infantryman's genuine asessments of their experiences with the tactical vest.

xavier 

Cpl Thompson said:
Hopefully down the road, the Brass upstairs will understand this and give you guys something that does meet your needs.   :salute:

YOU TOO!

One of my biggst pet peeves is having a reserve force with NO KIT.  Yeah vehicles and other reg force cast offs - but EVERY  SINGLE SOLDIER should have
HELMET (well we all got them)
PBA with PLATES (which we dont)
LBE
WEAPON(S)
at a very min.

I am a former reservist 87-94, I was appalled at our kit - and still am.  Your Mine and his/her job is to be opersationally capable - thus we need the kit - now and always.

One of my biggst pet peeves is having a reserve force with NO KIT.  Yeah vehicles and other reg force cast offs - but EVERY  SINGLE SOLDIER should have
HELMET (well we all got them)
PBA with PLATES (which we dont)
LBE
WEAPON(S)
at a very min.

<tangent>

So I guess it would really annoy you if some reservist decided to take her helmet home (and leave it there) on HLTA huh?

</tangent>

Back