• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

Its funny, but, not ever having really used the thing I would have assumed that a tactical vest would be... well for tactical situations....  if its a compromise vest, call it that. :)

I guess its just like all those other things that should make sense but dont....

NonTactical would be my call - but SemiTactical is a good description kinda like a half assed semitactical ex...

KevinB said:
NonTactical would be my call - but SemiTactical is a good description kinda like a half assed semitactical ex...

Thats why i chose the "semi-tactical" name..............i did alot of those exercises.........uterly useless

I have been using TAV VEST for a year and a half now. I love it and I have no problem using it.
I remember having to gun tape or tie webbing together because any time you leopard crawled more than five feet, it blew apart. The plastic on the webbing was cheap and broke very easy.
The TAC VEST is not perfect, but IMO its far better than web gear. Also, the TV was designed basically for fighting only (Ammo, water, grenades, etc).
A very bad habit I noticed with the old web gear was that guys would stuff every pouch and extra bit of space with gloves, snacks, snivel kit, you name it. We get out in the field and I would start handing out extra ammo, radio batteries and rations and the next thing you know, guys are unpacking their web gear.

FFO means Full FIGHTING Order.
I have no problems with guys bring day sacks (the old nuke bags or something equal to it) and using it for extra goodies and snivel kit.
Keep FFO for fightin', troops !

Also ever try and wear Flak Jacket and the old web gear? It totally sucked. Flak jackets go alot better with TV than web gear.
Cheers while drinking beers...

Meridian said:
Its funny, but, not ever having really used the thing I would have assumed that a tactical vest would be... well for tactical situations ...

I'm so confused - I recently saw a diagram with the title "Tactical Vest:  Garrison Wear" ...  ???

ArmyRick, I don't think anyone's going to disagree that the TV is a heck of a lot better than webbing.  I was quite happy to get mine too.  However, I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT" :)  The TV wasn't done right.  If we're spending all this money to improve our equipment, we should be ensuring that the final product is as good as we can make it, not just better than what we had before.

You know, if the people testing the TV had had this sort of forum to discuss it in, I'm willing to bet we would have ended up with a much better final product than what we have now.

Britney Spears said:
I would. THe webbing's a heck of a lot more modular.

With all Due respect, I am curous to know your military experiance.

Not to doubt you at all, as you seem quite knowlegable on the subject. but it is simply that your profile is rather empty.

and although the webbing may have been more modular, i had nothing but problems with mine. being a trucker i never could find a way to make it work the way i wanted it to...
(but thats just me and my experiance... )

The magazine pouches were too inaccesible in the prone.  The butpack was an absolute pain in the...butt.  And those plastic mounting clips and brackets were so poor that after a year I had to start stapling webbing components onto the belt.

I'm much happier with my TV thanks.

and although the webbing may have been more modular, i had nothing but problems with mine. being a trucker i never could find a way to make it work the way i wanted it to...

Getting in and out of vehicles is a bit of a pain, yes.

The magazine pouches were too inaccesible in the prone.

You think that's  inaccecible? Try going prone with the TV, armour and plates. The plates allow you to roll laterally(left to right), but there isn't much of a range of movement vertically, esp. with the back plates hitting your helmet. You can approximate this by strapping a stoveboard to your chest, going prone and then trying to reach the underside of the stoveboard.

Also, I can easily carry 15 magazines in my webbing mag pouches, or 3 C-9 drums with an extra c-9 pouch, and still have room for a radio, 2lt canteen and a few belts of 7.62 in the buttpack. All with issued pouches ( army doesn't pay me enough for me to buy my own kit just for training).

And I can still get at them in the prone :)

The butpack was an absolute pain in the...butt.

I can wear the buttpack with reasonable comfort together with a rucksack. I do agree the buttpack is rather poorly designed, there are <a href=http://www.tacticalshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=745>better, more accecible models</a> on the market

And those plastic mounting clips and brackets were so poor that after a year I had to start stapling webbing components onto the belt.

A weakness, true enough, I keep my webbing well secured and maintained and I've never broken a pouch in the field. That stupid strap on the bayonet frog, however........... :mad:

There's ups and downs to each system, and YMMV. WHen I first joined I thought the webbing was an ill designed monstrosity too. Maybe one day We'll get something better?

Oh, and ArmyRick is right on the money about the FFO being ammo, radios and water only.  I always get a hoot out of showing up for an ex with  a pair of socks in my webbing. What, train as you fight, right?

Problem is the TACVEST does not have room for mission essential kit that shoudl be able to fit in it - the webbing did have the room.  I agree that addign an "assault pack" is a necessary option for some roles/missions - but should not be mandate to carry items like you MNVG etc.

If you have to deploy quickly (out of a vehicle of some sort) you cannot alway get the pack on in time.

Ooohhh...Britney, thanks for putting up the avatar - now I really want to chat with you (PS - Can you put "I'm a Slave for You" in your sigline.... :D)

KevinB said:
I agree that addign an "assault pack" is a necessary option for some roles/missions - but should not be mandate to carry items like you MNVG etc.

If you have to deploy quickly (out of a vehicle of some sort) you cannot alway get the pack on in time.

The reason I'm not to keen on the whole A-Pack notion is that it seems to be designed without the rucksack in mind.  What are you going to do when you put your ruck on, throwing your load-carriage system out of wack.

I think Kifaru (surprise of surprises) has the right idea with the "piggyback" system.

Ooohhh...Britney, thanks for putting up the avatar - now I really want to chat with you (PS - Can you put "I'm a Slave for You" in your sigline.... Cheesy)

I feel harassed. What would the media think of that? Remember, they're watching........

Britney Spears said:
I feel harassed. What would the media think of that? Remember, they're watching........

Well if they are watching...can you put on a tac vest on your avatar ?  You get lots of media attention Brittney, you could show them how inadequate it is...... ;D

Britney Spears said:

That's what you get for being so damn hot!

I wonder which newspaper is going to run the story "Pop Singer Comments on Canadian Military Equipment!".  ;D

Back