• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supreme Court rejects challenge on voting age

I don't think they should lower the voting age. I dont see how it would really make any difference considering that not alot of young adults vote anyhow. In municipal elections voter turn out is only 30-35 percent. How many young kids would actually go  out and vote in a municipal election. Not very many I am guessing. Voter apathy is at an all time high and alot of it is from the youth population, so is lowering the age really going to bring more voters out? I am going to say no.

There is a slight lack of uniformity in various laws, statutes and regulations regarding when people can take up "adult" responsibilities, but this is mostly due to the various time frames these laws were written in. Generally speaking, there is an understanding that the period between 16 and 18 is a transition between care free childhood and "adult responsibility". Where it is possible, there are means of assisting children through the transition, such as graduated driver's licences, but most things are either "on" or "off" by nature.

Delayed gratification (i.e. waiting until you are ready) is one sign of being a mature adult. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with a lot of people I run into.....

http://www.cbc.ca/mondayreport/videos/ricks_rant_jan_17_2005.wvx

Why not?

The age line has to be drawn somewhere. Besides, between 16 and 18 there's only a 2 year difference. And time flies fast.

Back