• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Brown steps down from Supreme Court, halting probe into misconduct claim

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Matthew 7: 1-2

Russell Brown steps down from Supreme Court, halting probe into misconduct claim​

Canadian Judicial Council began looking into misconduct claim linked to incident in U.S.

Russell Brown announced Monday he's stepping down as a justice of the Supreme Court of Canada effective immediately — a move that comes after the Canadian Judicial Council (CJC) began probing a claim of misconduct directed against Brown related to an incident in the U.S.

Brown's decision to step down from Canada's top court means the CJC's investigation of an alleged alcohol-fuelled incident in Arizona will come to an end without any sort of public report on the matter.

Under the federal Judges Act, the council has a duty to investigate complaints made against federally appointed judges. Now that Brown has resigned, the council said, that work will stop.

Brown has been on leave for months since reports surfaced that the judge got into some sort of confrontation with patrons at a high-end Scottsdale-area resort at the end of January.

While accounts of the incident differ, it has been established that there was some sort of fight between Brown and a man at the resort, Jon Crump, a U.S. Marine veteran who was at the resort with a group of friends.
. . .

All right, all right, the biblical reference is not strictly on point but is a bit of cheek. What else could you use in reference to a story about a judge?

I contemplated necro-posting this to a 2015 thread that discussed his appointment to the SCC but that thread was locked. I didn't find any reference on these means to the incident that led to former Justice Brown taking leave from the bench, nor do I recall noting it previously in the media.

And in anticipation (pause for individuals who will reference Rocky Horror Picture Show) of comments (pro and con of the current PM) of an appointment to this vacancy on the SCC. I'll provide a link to the process.

Last edited:
In this instance, the judge will be from the West, as is tradition. I believe SK thinks it's their turn.

Matthew 7: 1-2

All right, all right, the biblical reference is not strictly on point but is a bit of cheek. What else could you use in reference to a story about a judge?

I contemplated necro-posting this to a 2015 thread that discussed his appointment to the SCC but that thread was locked. I didn't find any reference on these means to the incident that led to former Justice Brown taking leave from the bench, nor do I recall noting it previously in the media.

And in anticipation (pause for individuals who will reference Rocky Horror Picture Show) of comments (pro and con of the current PM) of an appointment to this vacancy on the SCC. I'll provide a link to the process.

Well lookie lookie... They are just people. As fallible and corruptible as everyone else.

There are no eminent people in the world. Some of us just don't get the opportunity to have our dirt-bag like tendencies go viral on social media.

There are no eminent people in the world. Some of us just don't get the opportunity to have our dirt-bag tendencies to go viral on social media.

I know that and you know that... Some people don't know that...

Everyone is fallible, everyone is corruptible... Hence why I don't put much stock in what our fictitiously eminent persons have to say.

Well lookie lookie... They are just people. As fallible and corruptible as everyone else.
Of course that's assuming he is guilty of the actions he was accused of. Here is a snippet from an article in todays TorStar where Brown says he is innocent:

In a statement Monday, Brown’s lawyers said the judge’s retirement was the “regrettable result of a spurious complaint that was lodged … by a 31-year-old ex-Marine who, while intoxicated and belligerent, punched Justice Brown without provocation and later weaponized Canada’s judicial discipline process.”

Brian Gover and Alexandra Heine cited examples of evidence they said showed “glaring contradictions, inaccuracies and embellishments” in the complainant’s version of events, which they said would have cleared Brown’s name.

Those included surveillance video footage “depicting the entirety of Justice Brown’s interactions” with Crump’s companions, evidence of the hotel’s bartender who worked a few feet from the table where Brown sat with them, evidence of a hotel security officer, a recording of the complainant’s 911 call, body-worn camera footage showing where it occurred, an investigative report by a private investigator who is a former police detective, and a “legal opinion of the former chief justice of the Supreme Court of Arizona, who, after examining the evidence in this case, concluded that under Arizona law, there was no basis for the complainant’s allegations of harassment and that there was no possible legal justification for his attack on Justice Brown.”

Brown said he instructed his lawyers to disclose what they’d gathered because Crump’s version had been made public, and now that the probe would end, he wanted to “clear the record.”

Link

My understanding of the process is that the investigation would share its findings with the subject for comments and rebuttal in advance of finalizing their report, in the interest of administrative fairness.

A cynic would suggest that, on receipt of the draft findings, the subject might choose to resign, thus terminating the investigation before the findings could be released.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

I know that and you know that... Some people don't know that...

Everyone is fallible, everyone is corruptible... Hence why I don't put much stock in what our fictitiously eminent persons have to say.
a jaundiced eye you have, Master Jedi. (say this in your head like Yoda would)

Back