• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

CDN Aviator said:
By far the dumbest thing i have ever read. hands down.

May be a dumb response ... if it weren't answering a question posed about a QL3 Sup Tech course.

His answer was excactly correct as to what the member will be concentrating on/emphasizing for that particular course.

Mr Plow said:
And us MSE Ops are worried about DP's on our QL3.. and yes we carry our C7's and C9's. Have to defend the convoy somehow.

I may be not a Combat Arms trade.. but I shoot to kill. Soldier first.. trademen second. Remember that..

P.S. Sup Techs are reqr on DP's in the old school war manual.

Eureka.  ::)

You're a trucker.

Convoys are a basic feature of your trade ... ie DRIVING.

NOT so with a Sup tech. The basic feature of our trade isn't doing convoys. It's getting the shit into the system to put on the damn trucks, or ships, or airplanes.

This thread is about Sup tech QL3s ... not SQ, not MSE OP QL3s ...

Supply.

CDN Aviator said:
I'm on a course right now that teaches naval tactics, capabilities and the operational planning process. Do you think that me carrying around a riffle will make it harder for me to learn the material ? Do you think that having to keep a riffle in my room makes it harder for me to read the required material for the next day ?

What is it about being issued a riffle that makes it hard to learn how to issue stuff ?

Surely you're not suggesting that career courses for pers or say year-long french courses etc, should now carry weapons around regardless of what the course is for.

That wouldn't impact upon learning FMAS or french either.

Did you carry one around at your selections? Why not? Soldiers first in the CF regardless of element ...

Gimme a frigging break people.

CDN Aviator said:
I'm on a course right now that teaches naval tactics, capabilities and the operational planning process. Do you think that me carrying around a riffle will make it harder for me to learn the material ? Do you think that having to keep a riffle in my room makes it harder for me to read the required material for the next day ?

What is it about being issued a riffle that makes it hard to learn how to issue stuff ?

I'll put it this way, there isn't even enough time to learn how to operate a forklift on the course. That is how fast and furious the material is coming for the students. One would be led to believe that using a forklift is even more essential to doing ones job as a supply tech, let alone worrying about a weapon, that a supply tech may or may not even need to use when posted out.

I'm not saying that there is no need for supply techs to have weapons handling skills. Heck, 1 Svc Bn is more infantry than the infantry, however the need for those skills while on course is effectively nil.

On a side note to the original poster:
Some of the things you will learn on the course include basic computer skills (this may sound odd, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't have this coming into the course). Learning the use of MIMS, including making requisitions, conducting receipts, issues, searching sca's/ia's for pertinent information. Updating sca's/ia's (example: updating a name field to include a recent promotion). Searching the supply system for materiel (includes your specific warehouse, district, and the entire CFSS).

You will also have an introduction to packaging, where you will be required to pack and egg for shipping anywhere. And yes, they will do everything to try and break said egg. trust me on this one (they punted my box across the warehouse, jumped on it, then rammed a pallet jack into it, twice, then dropped the pallet jack onto the box. The egg still survived.)

There is an introduction to HAZMAT, however this does not give you the qualification to control or package HAZMAT for shipping, those are each a separate course. The HAZMAT portion is solely to provide a familiarization to dangerous goods, what different placards represent, different safety measures and so on.

A hint for when you go on your QL3's, learn how to navigate the supply manual, how to properly write down your references, and most of all the keyboard shortcuts to get from window to window (ALT+Tab), copy (Ctrl+C), and paste (Ctrl+V). Those shortcuts will be a life saver on this course.

As I said earlier, one part that is not covered on the course that I greatly feel should be is the forklift. Depending on what your job is when you get posted out will determine how fast you get this course. Some units are fast to provide it, and others it's like pulling teeth to get any qualifications at all because they feel you are better off digging in rather than supplying. Again, any questions feel free to send me a personal message.

Chapeski said:
As I said earlier, one part that is not covered on the course that I greatly feel should be is the forklift. Depending on what your job is when you get posted out will determine how fast you get this course. Some units are fast to provide it, and others it's like pulling teeth to get any qualifications at all because they feel you are better off digging in rather than supplying. Again, any questions feel free to send me a personal message.

Forklift course in CFSAL? Manouvering what?

There's plenty of us Driver Instructor/Examiner types in Supply who teach this as part of the QL4/OJT program upon arrival at Unit from QL3. You clear in ... you go get your learners permit from Tn as part of that process. You then spend time each day actually utilizing forklifts (F5: all types) moving actual stores. Big honking stores. Pallets, triwalls, tracks ... whatever in the real-world and in real-time. Loading and unloading shelves and trucks. And, when we think you've become competant at that ... we run your test and send you up to have it added to the 404s. Works here fine.

It's not something that anyone will ever become competant at during their time in CFSAL. Imitation warehouse. No loading ramp. One stand-up forklift. No stock to put in those boxes. No big "real" items to practise with (and no space to put them even IF they had them). I'm sure you get the picture.

As for my egg ... it eventually found itself tossed out the 3rd floor window of the shacks ... and still lived to tell the story; somewhat pissed off the instructors though.  :)

ArmyVern said:
There's plenty of us Driver Instructor/Examiner types in Supply who teach this as part of the QL4/OJT program upon arrival at Unit from QL3. You clear in ... you go get your learners permit from Tn as part of that process. You then spend time each day actually utilizing forklifts (F5: all types) moving actual stores. Big honking stores. Pallets, triwalls, tracks ... whatever in the real-world and in real-time. Loading and unloading shelves and trucks. And, when we think you've become competant at that ... we run your test and send you up to have it added to the 404s. Works here fine.

Try telling MSE Safety that here in Edmonton. It took me from July to January just to get an ML course, fighting tooth and nail nonetheless. And I almost didn't get it either if it wasn't for 1 person upstairs getting pissed off and going to bat for me. I know, there is a massive difference between an ML and a forklift, however, as I said, trying to get anything done out here in Edmonton is a pain. I tried essentially what you described with an ML temp Permit, and due to the fact there was no ML conversion MSE Safety wouldn't sign off on it. I had well over 500kms at the time and no dice. The course head instructor wouldn't even count the kms towards my 500 I required to pass, so I ended up doing it again. No biggie though. I only mention the ML portion because when I got to Edmonton my Platoon Commander placed me in the vehicle section, yet with no qualifications I wasn't actually allowed doing anything more than check oil and tire pressure.

Sorry for the sidetrack on this one.

Chapeski said:
Try telling MSE Safety that here in Edmonton. It took me from July to January just to get an ML course, fighting tooth and nail nonetheless. And I almost didn't get it either if it wasn't for 1 person upstairs getting pissed off and going to bat for me. I know, there is a massive difference between an ML and a forklift, however, as I said, trying to get anything done out here in Edmonton is a pain. I tried essentially what you described with an ML temp Permit, and due to the fact there was no ML conversion MSE Safety wouldn't sign off on it. I had well over 500kms at the time and no dice. The course head instructor wouldn't even count the kms towards my 500 I required to pass, so I ended up doing it again. No biggie though. I only mention the ML portion because when I got to Edmonton my Platoon Commander placed me in the vehicle section, yet with no qualifications I wasn't actually allowed doing anything more than check oil and tire pressure.

Sorry for the sidetrack on this one.

No more driver wheel courses occuring there to learn how to drive actual vehicles (not forklifts)? Those used to be the first course we did (well, either that or LET/LLQ/SQ etc) upon posting to the Army.

Mind you, logistics and sustainment has dived right off the Army radar in the past few years. They seem to expect this to occur via some magic means.

~Sigh~

From the sounds of it it`s only a 1 Svc problem. Not enough instructors available, either due to being on TF, or leave after TF. Also, my course only qualified me on the ML, not ML with trailer. This is another sticking point with MSE Safety out here. When there are only a small handful of persons actually qualified on the trailer, one must wonder how we go on exercise with all of those trailers. When one SM got upset on a road move that the driver wasn't trailer qualified, the same person that fought for me to get on the course, stated that almost nobody in the Coy was qualified, and asked said SM if they would like us to drop all of the trailers right there (it was a Jerry can stop somewhere, Regina maybe?) and asked when TN Coy was going to be able to come back to retrieve them for us. The SM said no, keep driving. A rule of convenience maybe? Also, the fellow that said this is in fact a driver instructor/examiner, and doesn't have the qualification himself. Some bases allow personnel to do their jobs, other bases make it almost impossible for us to function. Makes me almost want to not take a contract extension, and take my Supply skills to the civilian world. (They call an Edmonton posting the Career Killer for a reason, after being here for a while nobody wants to stay in anymore.)

Chapeski said:
From the sounds of it it`s only a 1 Svc problem. Not enough instructors available, either due to being on TF, or leave after TF. Also, my course only qualified me on the ML, not ML with trailer. This is another sticking point with MSE Safety out here. When there are only a small handful of persons actually qualified on the trailer, one must wonder how we go on exercise with all of those trailers. When one SM got upset on a road move that the driver wasn't trailer qualified, the same person that fought for me to get on the course, stated that almost nobody in the Coy was qualified, and asked said SM if they would like us to drop all of the trailers right there (it was a Jerry can stop somewhere, Regina maybe?) and asked when TN Coy was going to be able to come back to retrieve them for us. The SM said no, keep driving. A rule of convenience maybe? Also, the fellow that said this is in fact a driver instructor/examiner, and doesn't have the qualification himself. Some bases allow personnel to do their jobs, other bases make it almost impossible for us to function. Makes me almost want to not take a contract extension, and take my Supply skills to the civilian world. (They call an Edmonton posting the Career Killer for a reason, after being here for a while nobody wants to stay in anymore.)

To me something doesn't seem right. When you did your ML did you do SBC/DDC too? When I did my LFC Driver Whl, the trailer porition was done on the SBC portion of the course.

I had the DDC done in August, received my 404's for A1 and B1 in September, yet wasn't able to get the ML qualification until the beginning of this month, and that was having the temp 404 for the ML since October. The reason why nobody is getting trailer qualified here in Edmonton is because for some reason none of the instructors seem to be trailer qualified. And even if they had it written off they would still have to wait a year before they could write off a student's trailer qualification. If it seems stupid it's because it is.

Chapeski said:
I had the DDC done in August, received my 404's for A1 and B1 in September, yet wasn't able to get the ML qualification until the beginning of this month, and that was having the temp 404 for the ML since October. The reason why nobody is getting trailer qualified here in Edmonton is because for some reason none of the instructors seem to be trailer qualified. And even if they had it written off they would still have to wait a year before they could write off a student's trailer qualification. If it seems stupid it's because it is.

Still seems wierd to me ......

anyways keep up on it you will eventually get it.

Will do. Maybe the Bn will realize they have an issue with qualifications when 3 trailers show up on exercise. (Only using 3 as an example, but the number will be low.)

Chapeski said:
Will do. Maybe the Bn will realize they have an issue with qualifications when 3 trailers show up on exercise. (Only using 3 as an example, but the number will be low.)

Maybe you could try and talk to some of the other Garrison units, I'm sure they got people qual'd on the trailers and have instructors.

Hey thanks for the info it is much appreciated, as for the whole weapons debate lets just forget about that, lol. One thing they didn't mention to me when they did my PLAR is if I would keep all of my driving quals. Anyone know how that works, could i do a refresher or have to do all of the cousres all over again? I hope to get posted to gagetown after 3's but I will just have to wait and see what the army has planned for me ;D  Anyways thanks for the info im sure it will be a great course!

hrt534 said:
Hey thanks for the info it is much appreciated, as for the whole weapons debate lets just forget about that, lol. One thing they didn't mention to me when they did my PLAR is if I would keep all of my driving quals. Anyone know how that works, could i do a refresher or have to do all of the cousres all over again? I hope to get posted to gagetown after 3's but I will just have to wait and see what the army has planned for me ;D  Anyways thanks for the info im sure it will be a great course!

Hmmm. I don't know ... a trucker will have to answer that one. I've no idea whether (or for how long) your 416s would remain archived etc or valid after a release.

hrt534,

Any qualifications you had will remain on your records.  They should be in FMS.  Being out for a year or more may affect your currency on those qualifications.  That usually entails a simple refresher and they get reactivated. 

From your original post, the currency would seem to be the biggest issue.  Requirements vary from vehicle to vehicle, but all the info can be found in A-LM-158-005/AG-001.  I believe it is located in the TD's at the end of the table of contents.

Hope this helps.

MSE Op 935

If you have kept paper copies of everything from before there is a chance you will get it back. This would be a conversation that would have to happen at a unit level though. Again, the gentleman that helped me get on my course did this. He was RCR for 20 years before retiring and coming back. He is meticulous at keeping records, and after a bit of unit level wrangling he was able to get his qualifications back. They also grandfathered him for the driver instructor/examiner position.

mseop 935 said:
hrt534,

Any qualifications you had will remain on your records.  They should be in FMS.  Being out for a year or more may affect your currency on those qualifications.  That usually entails a simple refresher and they get reactivated. 

From your original post, the currency would seem to be the biggest issue.  Requirements vary from vehicle to vehicle, but all the info can be found in A-LM-158-005/AG-001.  I believe it is located in the TD's at the end of the table of contents.

Hope this helps.

MSE Op 935

And, there he has it!! Thank you!!

Aside: what are you doing in a QL3 Sup Tech thread!!?? Remustering??  >:D

mseop 935 said:
Looking for friends.  Can you issue me one??? ;)

Standard response here:

1) You're not entitled;
2) If you're entitled, then we haven't got your size; and
3) If you're entitled and we have got your size, then they are operationally restricted.

What is your CFTPO posn number?

;)

Back