• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

I am hoping to become a supply Tech in the near future. Can someone tell me what the pros and cons of the trade?

Soldiergirl said:
I am hoping to become a supply Tech in the near future. Can someone tell me what the pros and cons of the trade?

How is your quest with becoming a Sup Tech going?  PM Army Vern your questions / concerns and i'm sure she would answer anything you could toss at her...be careful though - she has been know to bite...

I can tell you I love it and I wouldn't change my trade for the world.

I'm not yet qualified 3 yet, but doing B class OJT as sup tech...and I would not change it for nothing...I made a good choice.

BinRat55 said:
How is your quest with becoming a Sup Tech going?  PM Army Vern your questions / concerns and i'm sure she would answer anything you could toss at her...be careful though - she has been know to bite...

I can tell you I love it and I wouldn't change my trade for the world.

Love your trade or Vern biting?

riggermade said:
Love your trade or Vern biting?

Not guilty!!

It was a girl who got the physical bite (bite back I'll add).  ;D

The verbal bite is another story.  ;)

Soldiergirl said:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/53547.0.html

Oh ... and the supply system itself. Hated by all ... (Most hated though by even those of us who get to meander & chop our way through it in attempts to get the troops what they need ...)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32983.0.html

That all being said. I love my job ... wouldn't trade it for the world.

Pros: You are front and centre in getting the troops what they need and require. Please ... please ... please, ensure that you choose the path of "choosing common sense". Even if somethings is not an entitlement -- do not just say "no". If common sense dictates that they should have the item -- then use your position as a Supply Tech to the troops' advantage and address the issue properly through the CoC in an attempt to get the item authorized and approved. Then issue it to them. Sure the scales may dictate that you say "No, I can't issue it because you're not entitled", but the regulations certainly don't state that you can't say "Sorry, I can't issue it to you right now because you're not entitled, but please give me your name and I'll draft a request for you to have it up to Ottawa (and cc you a copy) because I think that it makes sense that you do have it". THAT's doing your job.

Cons: Despite all of your best efforts and attempts at supporting the troops and getting them what they are entitled to, and adressing items which they aren't -- you will find yourself on the receiving end of complaints from soldiers about their shitty kit, regulations governing clothing, their non-entitlements etc, purchasing of kit etc etc --- even though you as a mere Supply Tech have ZERO input or authority in determining those regulations. These people are far and few between; most troops are quite respectful of the fact that you are doing your job the best that you can within the system that is imposed by National policy upon the CF.

Thanks for doing your job is virtually non-existant, as it is in most other trades.

Respect is critical. Respect others and they will respect you. It works that way everywhere (save a few asshats). Don't let them get you down, smile, and joke around (to the extreme!!  >:D) -- it's what I do ... it makes the day so much more enjoyable.

BinRat55 said:
Yeah, I really worded that one well, didn't I?  Can I plead the 5th here???

No. You have only ever recd verbal bites from me.

You know I'm actually a shy push-over in real life; no reason at all to be scared of coming out with it by pleading the 5th.

ArmyVern said:
I'm actually a shy push-over in real life...

BWAH!!!!!  :blotto:  Ohhh, I think I may have pulled something there...

BinRat55 said:
BWAH!!!!!   :blotto:  Ohhh, I think I may have pulled something there...

What are you talking about??  ???

I'll be really well behaved Wednesday night in my usual reserved and shy old way -- what with a Mess Dinner to attend and all.

Pizza delivery to the head table has already been ordered and paid for ...

ArmyVern said:
No. You have only ever recd verbal bites from me.

You know I'm actually a shy push-over in real life; no reason at all to be scared of coming out with it by pleading the 5th.

Your tough facade doesn't fool anyone, Vern!  ;)

Anyone who uses "common sense" and "look after the troops" in the same sentence is good people, that's for sure!  :salute:

G2G

Good2Golf said:
Your tough facade doesn't fool anyone, Vern!   ;)

Anyone who uses "common sense" and "look after the troops" in the same sentence is good people, that's for sure!  :salute:

G2G

Suck up!!

I start my supply tech (reg f) ql3 here in Borden next Tuesday (4/14) and I have a few questions:

1. I've heard there's lots of classroom work, not much homework so inspections are somewhat tough... what subjects will be covered? What else can I expect from it? Any other insight about the course would be appreciated.

2. How are the posting usually handled? When do ya know during your course?

3. Are there currently any posting "hot spots"/trends (place where alot of 911's(sup tech) are being sent)? On average do students get one of their choices? I figured most bases need new supply techs but I may be wrong... I'd prefer NS (chose navy to maybe increase my odds- I know were purple so uniform means little when posted) but we'll see.

4. If I don't get NS.. could I be given a chose from other bases? would rather go Edmonton or esquimalt versus say pet... I've heard that sometimes posting can be restricted.. certain number of bases/ openings available and the students pick from the list.. could this happen w/ supply techs? 

Thanks for your time and insight.

Chances are if you put down Edmonton or Pet you'd get one of them for sure, so if you want Edmonton as a last resort put it 3rd. However, from talking to some of the folks on base here a lot of the current class that are about to graduate they are split between Ed and Pet, but most going to Ed. I'll see you in class though. PM inbound as well.

They're going to ask you for your top three preference choices for posting. Yes, they will show you a list of all the Sup Tech postings available.

You pick the top 3 that you'd like.

List them in your preferred order.

Word up -- you can list 3 places in NS (although we have more than just three places in Nova Scotia for postings available to us Supplies).

Or you can simply put "Nova Scotia" as 1;
BC as 2;
Edmonton as 3 etc.

Good luck on course & in the classroom; and, have fun on inspections!!   ;D

Just an update:

Course is going well.. we graduate on July 9... but for the inspections (which are now over, thank god lol) the course hasn't been too hard for me I have like a mid 90 avg.. most of the time is spent on computers doing Mims applications and searching the 007... alot of hands-on work (not alot of memorizing) which I enjoy... we spent a couple weeks in the warehouse here at CFSAL doing packaging (my egg didn't survive the beating lol)... I got my first posting choice (Halifax) where I'll be working in clothing until my NETP course starts in sept, then I'll probably be posted to a ship. 

I'm jealous. I couldn't get on course. My chain of command said that BC is only allowed to send 3 supply techs to course.

What's the point of joining the forces if we can't get trained?

I wasn't getting along well with my chain of command & I can't help but wonder if he just didn't want me to go on course.

eugenetswong said:
I'm jealous. I couldn't get on course. My chain of command said that BC is only allowed to send 3 supply techs to course.

What's the point of joining the forces if we can't get trained?

I wasn't getting along well with my chain of command & I can't help but wonder if he just didn't want me to go on course.

Well, this thread pertains to RegF Sup Tech QL3s courses which are run year round. Every LF Area is short of Suppies right now and we are currently a "red" trade for RegF recruiting.

All that ... affects ResF QL3 courses. ResF QL3 Sup courses are run only in the summer at ResF LFA (TC)s due to their length. Most end up being augmented by us RegF Suppies for instructional purposes. Due to their restricted locations, long length, and the need for qualified pers across the nation ... each area finds itself with "X" number of spots for course loading per captia.

Unfortunately, all the RegF Suppies are extremely busy year-round supporting (and deployed on) international ops, UN ops, domestic roto training, and instruction and support to RegF schools and courses due to critical shortages in the RegF positions; it's hard to run two Sup QL3 courses at each area TC during the summer months (when our RegF staffing shortages are at their peak due to higher priority taskings) -- when our staffing barely allows us to run one.

In the real world, it would be nice, but when you just don't have staff available to instruct ... we can't knit them up either.

Does this mean that I'm almost guaranteed to get on a course, if I join the Reg Forces?

If you were reg force you would be fully trained for the jobs you are required to do. How long it would take to get on course depends on how full they are when you get to Borden, and how far into the current course they are. When I arrived here in late January after BMQ I had to wait until mid April before my course started. Due to the high demand for supply techs the course filled up fairly fast. Normally they try to run 2 English and one French, however, as Vern stated they are very short staffed so an English course got canceled. If you want guaranteed work they are always looking for more supply techs, although chances are you wouldn't go home again once trained. Best bet it to keep asking your CoC (politely of course) every now and then if they can try and load you onto a course. Best of luck to you.

Back