• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what should we name the JSS, the LPD and the Icebreakers?

We are gathered here today to say our farewell to a fine DS, Ex-Dragoon.  What did he die of you say?  He held his breath waiting for the government to make sense.  He will be missed...

navymich said:
....waiting for the government to make sense. 

:rofl:    Well, that would certainly be a self-inflicted wound. And while clearly suicide under a Liberal government, it could perhaps now be  judged "misadventure" in the death certificate.....for the family's sake

Ships named after Victoria Cross recipients would be a good idea in my opinion. It sure beats naming ships after politicians.

WeatherdoG said:
Ships named after Victoria Cross recipients would be a good idea in my opinion. It sure beats naming ships after politicians.

There are a lot of those guys especially from the First World War.
Here's three that might qualify:

HMCS Hampton Gray (only RCN VC winner)
HMCS Smokey Smith
HMCS John Weir Foote (only Canadian Padre to win the VC-for his work at Dieppe)

I don't know...it just seems so American to name them after people.

I like re-issuing names from past ships......Kootenay was a good one (my first operational ship)
Restigouche class JSS:

Restigouche, Kootenay, Gatineau, Terra Nova

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I don't know...it just seems so American to name them after people.

GASP <crosses self>

We must never emulate the world's only hyperpower, our staunchest ally, defender of freedoms and #1 trading partner...  ::)

Good to see that anti - americanism is alive and well - even here.

As long as they stop naming them after communities I would be happy.

I still favour Juno, Scheldt, and Queenston Heights (All are Amphib ops)

FSTO said:
I still favour Juno, Scheldt, and Queenston Heights (All are Amphib ops)

Well technically it was the other side that was conducting amphib ops that day, we were playing defence. Then again we really couldn't name a ship Detroit, Bufflo, Sacket's Harbour or Michimilanick nowcould we? 8)

GO!!! said:
GASP <crosses self>

We must never emulate the world's only hyperpower, our staunchest ally, defender of freedoms and #1 trading partner...  ::)

Good to see that anti - Americanism is alive and well - even here.

Well I wasn't being anti-American...I was saying we should be uniquely Canadian when we name ships that Canadian taxpayers are paying for.

Is it anti-Brit to say I don't want them named HMCS Manchester, Liverpool or Southampton?

We have unique names in Canada...a lot of them from our Aboriginal community....the names I suggested are all river names in this great country....not south of the border or in a distant land  :cdn:

I'll admit to a passing interest in this type of thing (odd as it may seem) so I'll add my two cents.

The Navy has generally used a variety of factors in deciding the names of ships:  some political, some historical.

By "political", I mean that you'll generally see a wide variety of names reflecting a cross-Canada focus in a larger ship class, usually with one or more linked to Quebec (for obvious reasons).  Locations are "safe" and promote a link to the community, as has been pointed out.

However, the Navy being a history-conscious service, there is typically an attempt to make a historical link.  Thus I believe that there is a priority for "reviving" ships' names, with priority going to ships lost in action or to ships "victorious" in action.  See the histories of the Halifax class frigates, for examples.  (http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/mspa_fleet/fleet_home_e.asp)

I suspect that any new ships will be named in accordance with previous practice: a mixture of the two factors.  It's possible that completely new names will be introduced (as they were with the subs), but as you can imagine there'll be much agonizing before names are announced.

As for naming ships after people, the Royal Navy does it on occasion (HMSs Anson, Howe, Queen Elisabeth, Nelson, etc., etc.), so there's little reason why we couldn't.  The Yanks take it a bit far (so and so was Under Secretary of the Navy under Eisenhower, for example), but VC winners would be just fine - last names only (HMCS Grey, etc.).

Finally, my opinion:  revive the cruiser names for the amphibs (as what will certainly be the largest ships in the fleet).  This means, alas, naming them after Ontario and Quebec, but gives a decent historical foundation.  For the support ships, stick with the names we have - there's a great deal of precedence for this.  Icebreakers?  If built, use VC winners, as this will match the Coast Guard's tradition of naming its ships after people, but use last names only to avoid them sounding too "Coast Guard" and/or USN.

FWIW on a Sunday night...

Teddy

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Well I wasn't being anti-American...I was saying we should be uniquely Canadian when we name ships that Canadian taxpayers are paying for.

Is it anti-Brit to say I don't want them named HMCS Manchester, Liverpool or Southampton?

We have unique names in Canada...a lot of them from our Aboriginal community....the names I suggested are all river names in this great country....not south of the border or in a distant land  :cdn:

No-one is proposing anybody name a ship HMCS Lincoln, or HMCS Kennedy, or HMCS Nixon.

Something like HMCS [insert canadian history figure here] or HMCS [surname of canadian naval hero].

Just like you have HMCS Toronto, HMCS Calgary, etc, did you think Canada was the first to do that?

The yanks do take it too far, naming after mediocre recent living presidents and pollies nobody has ever heard of.
I like the format like the collins class, the surnames of naval heroes whether they were victorious senior officers or in the case of HMAS Sheean an ordinary seaman who sacrificed himself to save his shipmates from the enemy.
http://www.navy.gov.au/spc/history/people/sheean.html

'SS hero' sounds much better than 'SS city, cause we want some votes' and 'SS greedy self-serving politician'.

'SS bloody scary word' also sounds good.

Hello,

Although this topic has been dormant for a while, I'll wager a go anyways.

What about "Island Class" for the JSS

HMCS Baffin
HMCS Granville
HMCS Anticosti 

Plus, there is one from each of our three oceans.  Everyone wins!

HMCS Sentinel
HMCS Sovereign
HMCS Discovery
HMCS Viking
HMCS Artic Guardian (or just HMCS Guardian)

I think names that commemorate notable people/politicians sound good as well. I also think that strong names, along with Victoria cross winners sound good too.

HMCS Baffin
HMCS Granville
HMCS Anticosti

I like the idea... except granville is not an island, it is a peninsula.  I don't know of any islands on the west coast that have the naval je ne sais quoi.  Saltspring is slightly problamatical in the image section. Those of you who have been to ganges will know that of which I speak. Fun place, just not quiet navy. The big island that everybody knows out here is already taken.

I like the whole city naming thing, but being a winnipegger who loves the bison head in the hangar and all probably biases me. However all the big cities are taken, except for some in ontario and the rest of the country wouldn't be too enthused.

Icebreakers should have inuit names... though HMCS ThisIsCanadianLandAndWatersHandsOff would get the message across... HMCS Ticlawho anybody?  ;)

Khean said:
Hello,

Although this topic has been dormant for a while, I'll wager a go anyways.

HMCS Baffin
HMCS Granville
HMCS Anticosti 

Plus, there is one from each of our three oceans.  Everyone wins!

We've recently had the Anticosti.

This thread has been dormant for a reason, it's been beat to death!  But thanks for joining in....

Whatever happened to names like

Victory
Reliant
Warspite
BattleAxe
etc etc

???

HitorMiss said:
Whatever happened to names like....Victory......Reliant.....Warspite....BattleAxe......
Nahhh....never happened. See,

CANADIAN WARSHIP SEIZES TANKER IN... WAIT...CANADA HAS A WARSHIP?
Oh Right, and Switzerland Has Nuclear Weapons

"You're kidding, right? Canada has a warship?" asked U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Like for war?

"Does Canada know?" he added.

http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml  ;)

Damn straight. Let's get some fightin' soundin' names for our ships! Lakes, rivers, islands, cities, flowers - it's all been done. How about we bring back HMCS Warrior or HMCS Magnificent. Or name them after our better Admirals and Generals like HMCS L.W. Murray; HMCS H.G. De Wolf; HMCS A.W. Currie. Or, for even more fightin' soundin' names, HMCS Mortar Guy; HMCS COBRA-6 etc. I think I might get one vote for the last idea.

MG

Back