• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what should we name the JSS, the LPD and the Icebreakers?

How about stars?

HMCS Polaris, HMCS Vega, HMCS Alpha Centauri, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_brightest_stars

Pick stars from the northern sky, and you've got a nice tie-in with Canada and the north, and the stars have been ties to naval navigation for centuries.

DG

RecceDG said:
How about stars?

First thing comes to mind.....what Stars?.........Jim Carey.......Michael J. Fox.........Martin Short.......The HMCS J Candy.......The HMCS Milla Jovovich

;D

Guy. E said:
Colene Jones ?  ;D
(j/k)
On another light side.....Canadian Music Idols

HMCS Guess Who
HMCS Lighthouse
HMCS S. Twaine
HMCS Stompin' Tom
HMCS Paul Anka
HMCS Valdi
HMCS Humphry and the Dumptrucks

Gordon Lightfoot?... You forgot Gordy... :(

I like the actual northern stars thoe.

Priministers?

The Macdonald
The Laurier
The King
The Meighen
The Thompson
The Trudeau
...etc...

Guy. E said:
Gordon Lightfoot?... You forgot Gordy... :(

I like the actual northern stars thoe.

Priministers?

The Macdonald
The Laurier
The King
The Meighen
The Thompson
The Trudeau
...etc...

How about, NO!
The mind boggles........Clark, Campbell, Turner, Mulroney, Chretien, Martin....oh please stop!!! :eek:

HMCS London has popped upon the radar as a possible name for the first JSS:
http://www.seawaves.com/current_ship_programs.htm

HMCS   TBA  ?? Amphibious ship planned for ordering 2007
HMCS   London (Poss)  ?? Joint Support Ship - AOR replacement
HMCS   TBA  ?? Joint Support Ship - AOR replacement
HMCS   TBA  ?? Joint Support Ship - AOR 

No idea what the source for the information is. The 2007 date for the amphib [used or already built] seems like a good guess.*

*edited to add I think HMCS Banyan would be a good name!! Those were the days!! Think RIMPAC:

" A banyan is a special kind of navy party. In spite of the changing nature of the banyan, there are three constants: it is always a fun occasion, it is held outdoors, and the emphasis is on good food, good drink and good friends ..."

If London is tipped as a name for JSS, I am putting forth these names to complement them:
HMCS Alberni (this name has a history, was the name of a WWII Flower class corvette, was torpedoed by U-480 off the Isle of Wight on 21 August 1944. 59 of her crew lost their lives in the sinking)
HMCS Sherbrooke (this name has a history, was the name of a WWII Flower class corvette, and survived till the end of the war)
HMCS Kitchener (also has a history, was the name of a WWII Flower class corvette, and was the only Canadian corvette to be present at the D-Day landings)
HMCS Kootenay (name of a WWII destroyer, participated in the sinking of U-boats U-678, U-621, and U-984. Survived till the end of the war)
HMCS Oakville (name of a WWII Flower class corvette, sank the U-boat U-94 by ramming (!), was repaired and served till the end of the war to be sold off)

The theme: small cities

Armymatters said:
If London is tipped as a name for JSS, I am putting forth these names to complement them:
HMCS Alberni (this name has a history, was the name of a WWII Flower class corvette, was torpedoed by U-480 off the Isle of Wight on 21 August 1944. 59 of her crew lost their lives in the sinking)
HMCS Sherbrooke (this name has a history, was the name of a WWII Flower class corvette, and survived till the end of the war)
HMCS Kitchener (also has a history, was the name of a WWII Flower class corvette, and was the only Canadian corvette to be present at the D-Day landings)
HMCS Kootenay (name of a WWII destroyer, participated in the sinking of U-boats U-678, U-621, and U-984. Survived till the end of the war)
HMCS Oakville (name of a WWII Flower class corvette, sank the U-boat U-94 by ramming (!), was repaired and served till the end of the war to be sold off)

You do realize small cities are what the MCDVs are ? ::)

Armymatters said:

No more GD City names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A number of you have suggested naming the ice breakers after the territories.  My thought?  Take the 2 MCDVs already named for the North (Whitehorse and Yellowknife), refit them and move them up.

DSC00748.jpg

navymich said:
A number of you have suggested naming the ice breakers after the territories.  My thought?  Take the 2 MCDVs already named for the North (Whitehorse and Yellowknife), refit them and move them up.

...just as soon as you are posted ashore?  ;)

navymich said:

Would you not be limited on how often you could use them based on the ice conditions?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Would you not be limited on how often you could use them based on the ice conditions?

Can't they just put those parachute-baloon mechanisms on them to drag the ship over the ice? ::)

Icebreaers for the Artic should be Coast Guard ships, funds for these ships should not come from DND.

Considering the CCG does not want to be armed why not make them naval assets, only makes sense.

Then we know it won't happen Ex-D.  It can't if it makes sense!

One could always hope the government would surprise us and display some......*holds breath*

Back