• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what should we name the JSS, the LPD and the Icebreakers?

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Yeah I know they are not even in the water yet. Just some thoughts but I think the JSS should be named after Canadian Victoria Cross winners from each of the services. The LPD/LHA I would like to see them adopt a name of a decisive battle (i.e Vimy Ridge) that Canadians took part in. Lastly the two Icebreakers, I would like to them them adopt Northern place names. Thoughts?

Can't argue about your choice for the JSS, but as for the LHA I doubt we'd be able to name a ship after a battle these days.

I've always really liked Nonsuch and think it should get back into circulation with a seagoing unit.  Nonsuch (Henry Hudson's ship), Discovery (George Vancouver's ship) and Don de Dieu (Samuel de Champlain's ship) would be great for a 3-vessel class; historically relevant and politically sensitive.

No more cities or provinces please.  That's boring as hell - Preserver and Protecteur are great and appropriate names, as was Provider.  Names that mean something, are somewhat creative, and not just obvious pandering would be great.

In the latest Canadian sentiments, "General Brock" would be a good name for an LPD/LHA.

Naming ships after battles? I think it would be possible: HMCS Ortona, HMCS Norrey ...

Melbatoast said:
Can't argue about your choice for the JSS, but as for the LHA I doubt we'd be able to name a ship after a battle these days.

I've always really liked Nonsuch and think it should get back into circulation with a seagoing unit.  Nonsuch (Henry Hudson's ship), Discovery (George Vancouver's ship) and Don de Dieu (Samuel de Champlain's ship) would be great for a 3-vessel class; historically relevant and politically sensitive.

No more cities or provinces please.  That's boring as hell - Preserver and Protecteur are great and appropriate names, as was Provider.  Names that mean something, are somewhat creative, and not just obvious pandering would be great.

cant use the nonsouch as its already in use in edmonton as the reserve  naval unit there

axeman said:
cant use the nonsouch as its already in use in edmonton as the reserve  naval unit there

Yeah so is Discovery in Vancouver, I was wondering what would happen with that.

Melbatoast said:
Yeah so is Discovery in Vancouver, I was wondering what would happen with that.

Then they would not be named as such as they are looked upon as commissioned units.

The cities and towns do perhaps seem unimaginative at first glance, but they serve a very real need to get the navy in touch with the population.  Having a relationship between a ship and her namesake city gets the navy into the minds of people who might very well live their lives never having seen the ocean, much less heard of the navy that keeps it safe on their behalf.

Neill McKay said:
The cities and towns do perhaps seem unimaginative at first glance, but they serve a very real need to get the navy in touch with the population.  Having a relationship between a ship and her namesake city gets the navy into the minds of people who might very well live their lives never having seen the ocean, much less heard of the navy that keeps it safe on their behalf.

Agreed....naming ships after various communities has been a smart PR move.

How about politcal parties?  HMCS Conservative, HMCS Liberal and HMCS New Democratic Party...  :p

Now this is a subject I can get my teeth into...lol.
Usually the Navy likes to name ships after former ships...we are a very traditional institution.
I think Provider would be a good name to resurect for one of the JSS...and yes Protecteur and Preserver would be good too.
For the LPD or whatever class it is I think we would be wise to resurrect our ex-Cruiser names...
HMCS Ontario, HMCS Quebec (our two solitudes lol) or even HMCS Uganda....The ceremonial bell is in the Chapel in Stad for Uganda.
Or how about our Aircraft carrier names...HMCS Bonaventure, HMCS Magnificent...or (would this pass political correctness??    HMCS Warrior...oh yeah.
Icebreakers......how about Inuit names??? HMCS Inuvik, Nunavut and Iqaluit....sounds good to me :)

The CS (can't be a majesty ship) Bloc Quebecois would be a pirate ship ??

The cities and towns do perhaps seem unimaginative at first glance, but they serve a very real need to get the navy in touch with the population.

I dont know what things are like in Canada, but in Australia i think it has the opposite effect. You will fail 100% of the time trying to get a Melbournian to connect to HMAS Sydney, and people from Adelaide couldn't care less about a ship called Newcastle. That is all due to city pride rivalry, it is at ridiculous levels here.

Ships arent based in thier namesake city, and rarely visit. And naming ships for inland locations? that's even worse.

The public could connect, and learn, from having ships named for heroes and battles, or having cool names. A name like Voyager or Preserver is going to stick in joe publics mind more so than Canberra or Ottawa.

cobbler said:
I dont know what things are like in Canada, but in Australia i think it has the opposite effect. You will fail 100% of the time trying to get a Melbournian to connect to HMAS Sydney, and people from Adelaide couldn't care less about a ship called Newcastle. That is all due to city pride rivalry, it is at ridiculous levels here.

Ships arent based in thier namesake city, and rarely visit. And naming ships for inland locations? that's even worse.

The public could connect, and learn, from having ships named for heroes and battles, or having cool names. A name like Voyager or Preserver is going to stick in joe publics mind more so than Canberra or Ottawa.

You would be surprised the number of young sailors I have met because of a CPF or an MCDV named after their community....

cobbler said:

In the Canadian Navy, the whole namesake ship thing has been hot and cold.  Some cities like Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton have embraced their ships.  From what I have heard, others like Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa seem like they could not care less.

Yes I think the city namesakes is a good idea too.
As I stated earlier there is also some merit to naming ships after ones that sailed under that name before...especially as you can bring forward the battle honours too.
Having said that some of the corvette names were pretty un-inspiring....HMCS Pansy.....nuff said ::)

yea the flower class was less then warrior esque the trillium the etc not that they werent good ships but as a name ennhhh ...
lets see the HMCS DESTROYER HMCS ARK ROYAL HMCS BATTLE AXE  HMCS MAIM HMCS DESTRUCTION    ah well there i go not being PC oh well cest lie guere...

axeman said:
yea the flower class was less then warrior esque the trillium the etc not that they werent good ships but as a name ennhhh ...
lets see the HMCS DESTROYER HMCS ARK ROYAL HMCS BATTLE AXE  HMCS MAIM HMCS DESTRUCTION    ah well there i go not being PC oh well cest lie guere...

Yeah but think of how embarrassing it was for surviving U Boat crews to tell people that they got sunk by HMCS Windflower!

Complete names of corvettes from allied navies at
http://uboat.net/allies/warships/class.html?ID=42

I like some of the US names eg   
USS Courage (PG-70) (ex. HMS Heartsease)
USS Fury (PG-69) (ex. HMS Larkspur)
USS Impulse (PG-68) (ex. HMS Begonia)
USS Ready (PG 67)
USS Restless (PG-66)
USS Saucy (PG-65) (ex. HMS Arabis)
USS Spry (PG-64)
USS Surprise (PG-63) (ex. HMS Helitrope)
USS Temptress (PG-62)
USS Tenacity (PG-71) (ex. HMS Candytuft)

Ha ha we'd never get away with Temptress today would we???
But I really think Candytuft might fly!!! ;D

Just so you Know the Pansy was a HM Ship NOT and HMC Ship. Most Canadian flowers where named after cities, only ones built for the brits but manned and or taken over by the RCN had flower names.  Also her name was changed due to the crew getting into to many fights.

If these are going to be the big ships in the navy then going with the old cruiser naming convention of provinces would be a good idea (Uganda was renamed Quebec).

This would work well with the current ships mainly being named after cities, which should be the standard for all ships in the navy. Ship’s lineage and honours can be attached to previous ships from the eras where city names were not used.

Back