• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what should we name the JSS, the LPD and the Icebreakers?

Yeah immortalized in Canada.  These ships would be seen around the world and be a reminder to everyone not just us.  The countries and places these Battles didn't happen but should still really matter to everyone.

:cdn:

Navy_Blue said:
Yeah immortalized in Canada.  These ships would be seen around the world and be a reminder to everyone not just us. 

Well, admittedly, that does make sense. However, even our own allies have only a limited interest (if any) in Canadian battles, that’s just something we need to accept.

And, I doubt, while off the coast of Craptastic(-a, -stan, -ia, a fictitious nation), that anyone will have any meaningful realizations based on whether the ship on the horizon is the Vancouver, the Vimy, or the Vengeance.

But the ships do visits ports all around the world, they don't just stay offshore.

And I would wager that our friends to the south didn't worry about what other nations thought when they started naming their TICONDEROGAs after battles, they just did it because they were proud of their naval and military heritage.  I'm proud of Canada and our differences from the States, but sometimes I envy them certain aspects of their greater acceptance and reverence for their armed forces.

Actually, naming the JSS/BHS after battles might be a good idea. Especially if they are battles where all three services participated.

HMCS Normandy
HMCS Scheldt
HMCS Sicily
HMCS Korea

OK, those aren't the best suggestions but you get the idea.

MG

I'm torn between historically-significant battles and towns.  The battles would provide an opportunity for the media to educate themselves about military history while covering the launch while as others have said, creating a link to a city or town immediately increases military awareness in that specific region. 

Perhaps a mix of the two.  Icebreakers are northern cities with LPD/LHA's as significant expeditionary battles...

One from each major recent war:
HMCS Hill 355
HMCS The Scheldt
HMCS Vimy Ridge

Matthew.    :salute:

I think we have done the city thing to death. I would rather we go with the battle honours for the Amphib, retain the current names for the JSS and go back to the Indian tribes for the 280 replacement (HMCS SIOUX, BLACKFOOT, LAKOTA, and CREE have a nice ring to them)

HMCS Double Double
HMCS Hockey Night in Canada
HMCS Canadian
HMCS Buddy

All fine Canadian cultural referents.  ;D

I think we have done the city thing to death. I would rather we go with the battle honours for the Amphib, retain the current names for the JSS and go back to the Indian tribes for the 280 replacement (HMCS SIOUX, BLACKFOOT, LAKOTA, and CREE have a nice ring to them)

LAKOTA? Name a ship after a herbal remedy?  >:D

MG

Phrontis said:
The Royal Navy has had some great names for ships, like ILLUSTRIOUS and DREADNOUGHT and VICTORY; names you could rally 'round and which stir up some spirit.  I always thought it was kind of wet the way we name our ships after rivers and bays and cities/towns.  But then I read Milner's book on the first century of Canadian naval history, and he relates how a Canadian Admiral in WWII, discussing why we shouldn't follow the British example of naming corvettes after flowers, said "Flowers don't knit mittens".  Naming our ships after cities does provide an opportunity to forge a link between the Navy and the Canadian public, something we haven't always done well in our history, and to our cost.

As for naming ships after former Prime Ministers or great Canadians, that always seemed so Coast Guard or USN-ish to me.

What about bringing back some of the names of shore establishments which have been lost, like HMCS STADACONNA (now CFB Halifax) or HMCS NADEN (now CFB Esquimalt) or HMCS CORNWALLIS?

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I'm torn between historically-significant battles and towns.  The battles would provide an opportunity for the media to educate themselves about military history while covering the launch while as others have said, creating a link to a city or town immediately increases military awareness in that specific region. 

Perhaps a mix of the two.  Icebreakers are northern cities with LPD/LHA's as significant expeditionary battles...

One from each major recent war:
HMCS Hill 355
HMCS The Scheldt
HMCS Vimy Ridge

Matthew.    :salute:

Unfortunately naming a ship HMCS Hill 355 when it will have its own numerical pennant number will only lead to confusion which could prove detrimental during crucial situations.

Canadian battle names have been used in the past for HMC Ships.  Near the end of the First World War there was a series of Battle-class Armed Trawlers: HMC Ships ARLEUX, ARMENTIERES, ARRAS, FESTUBERT, GIVENCHY, LOOS, MESSINES, ST. ELOI, ST. JULIEN, THIEPVAL, VIMY, and YPRES.

Perhaps a new class of ship could be named after newer battles in which Canadians have fought?

Phrontis said:
Perhaps a new class of ship could be named after newer battles in which Canadians have fought?

HMCS Gay Marriage

HMCS Gun Registry

HMCS Wheat Board

HMCS Kyoto Protocol

Oh wait, you meant military battles - right?  ;D

Animals done to death already? 

HMCS Beaver
HMCS Loonie
HMCS Elk / NSMC Helk

IIRC there is a USS Normandy in USN service.
LPD/LPH Juno Beach or Vimy Ridge
JSS Prince David Prince Henry and Prince Robert
Icebreakers Labrador Yukon Nunavut

Some alternates Arctic Sovereign Arctic Guardian Arctic Sentinel or Sentry.

Passchendaele Ridge Voyager Scheldt

Build JSS first LPD/LPH second Icebreakers third.

There are quite a few ships throughout the world's navies that have counterparts with the same name.

There are quite a few ships throughout the world's navies that have counterparts with the same name.

I can only think of HMS Newcastle and HMAS Newcastle, what others are there?

I think taking names which have strong historical precedent or pride of place in other navies is frowned upon.

USS Vancouver and HMCS Vancouver
HMS Defender and USS Defender (while the Bristish ship isn't built the name has been designated)
HMS Dauntless and Dauntless (Singapore)
HMS Daring and Daring (Singapore)
FGS Gepard and Gepard (Russian Navy Sub)
Khalid (SAudi) and Khalid (Pakistan)
MikoLaiv (Ukraine) one naval the other Border Guard
FS Mistral (France) Mistral (spanish navy Sub)
HMS Norfolk and USS Norfolk
Orel  and Orel both Russian one an FFG and other an SSGN
Rauma (Norway) and  Rauma (Finland)
USS Sirocco/FS Sirocco(French) and Sirocco (Spanish Navy Sub)
Typhoon (Bulgaria)/USS Typhoon
Victoria (SPain) and HMCS Victoria

Thats what I found so far.               

Ex-Dragoon said:
USS Vancouver and HMCS Vancouver
HMS Defender and USS Defender (while the Bristish ship isn't built the name has been designated)
HMS Dauntless and Dauntless (Singapore)
HMS Daring and Daring (Singapore)
FGS Gepard and Gepard (Russian Navy Sub)
Khalid (SAudi) and Khalid (Pakistan)
MikoLaiv (Ukraine) one naval the other Border Guard
FS Mistral (France) Mistral (spanish navy Sub)
HMS Norfolk and USS Norfolk
Orel  and Orel both Russian one an FFG and other an SSGN
Rauma (Norway) and  Rauma (Finland)
USS Sirocco/FS Sirocco(French) and Sirocco (Spanish Navy Sub)
Typhoon (Bulgaria)/USS Typhoon
Victoria (SPain) and HMCS Victoria

Thats what I found so far.                 
Generally the Navies of Commonwealth Realms have refrained from two ships in commission having the same name.  This was quite important when there was a common system of battle honours for Commonwealth ships, although Canada has abandoned this system.

Some alternates Arctic Sovereign Arctic Guardian Arctic Sentinel or Sentry.

I like those...they sound tough...keep those yankees at bay...lol

Back