• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sigs Question

Mopo_26 said:
Good 'ol **ithole Manitoba, Canada's *ss hole. Lovely place indeed...blah ::)

lol I've had a teacher that told me those exact words..

I was told more or less the same when a friend of my parents heard I was Shilo bound for recruit training in 1957.

Enjoy the wide open spaces, the tumbleweed and the gophers.

Drive to the middle of nowhere (Conveniently located a 3 hour drive from Winnipeg). Now drive another 40 minutes. Welcome to Shilo. (For reference purposes, sometimes it actually *is* a beautiful place... the skies are amazing... particularly if you're not used to the prairies)

Old Sweat said:
Enjoy the wide open spaces, the tumbleweed and the gophers.

Those damn gophers are impossible to run over you know!! We tried to see if we could hit them, it was like the goal of the summer...no one could, not one person!

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed BMQ/SQ. Just not Shilo. One morning run, I went 2K nonstop swearing and yelling about all the things that sucked about Shilo. The MasterJack who was running us agreed with everything I was saying, so just let me go on ranting.

I'm sorry... but Shilo really isn't all that bad. Well, it sucks... but it's an attitude thing... if you approach anything with a good attitude, you can make it good.

Well, looking back now, yeah, not too bad, but while you're there, sometimes....But you are right, it is in the attitude. I just wouldn't want to be posted there.

.... Just curious, what exactly is so bad about it? I heard the teacher say stuff about crappy weather, etc. I think...?

Everyone has an opinion of a base they trained at/or were posted to. Take all of them and rate them in order and your least desirable base will most likely be from a bad experience you had there .Shilo in my opinion is a hell of alot better than say dundurn.And thats IMHO because theres simply alot more to do in Shilo than Dundurn.But Edmonton would be better than Shilo.

As for weather, its a little known fact that there exists a weather phenomenom that hovers over every DND establishment bringing snow in July and rain when dismounted.

Most people call a base great/bad based on what interests them and usually what base is closest to their home town.

Just a Sig Op said:
the skies are amazing... particularly if you're not used to the prairies)

Agreed, nothing like watching the sun set at 11 o'clock at night. Even got to see the northern lights on occasion.

in addition to that, it's amazing how you can see your dog run for days ;)
closest town was Brandon, too bad my platoon never got a chance to go there

it's all good as long as you have a couple of good buddies to hang out with in Shilo

The weather in Shilo was wierd. You look at the clouds, and sometimes wonder if the end of the world is coming, just the shape and color of them. Then you go out for a run in the morning, in late July, you're in shorts, and by the time you finish you're 6k, There's snow on the ground. It's bloody hot, and they it rains a bloody lot... plus if you do get the chance to get off base, you get to go to Brandon Manitoba, a great Hubbub of human civilization...

If you go, I highly suggest not even going to Brandon, unless you're desperate.

Also, I think they hid all the hills in Manitoba in the Shilo Training area. It's like you drive in and , whoa, where did all these hills come from?

And who loves trenches in Shilo? ooh, I love sand  ;D

As I earlier added what I was told about Shilo when I was going there for recruit training, let me add as one who was there on a number of course both as an officer and an other rank (old term for ncm), that on course you usually are too busy to worry about the off duty world. Sure it would be nice to enjoy the bright lights and the easy access to wine, woman and song, but . . .

Beig posted there is another matter. I had a three year posting to Shilo and enjoyed it, but I had a good job and worked with some exceptional people. Many years ago I read that life is like a septic tank in that what you get out of it depends to a very large extent upon what you put into it. You can be happy in Shilo and miserable in Edmonton. It all depends on you.

Watch out for the poison ivy.

Does anyone have any pictures of Shilo they'd like to share? Or do any of you know of a website I can find some?

thanks,

-Ross

RossF said:
Does anyone have any pictures of Shilo they'd like to share? Or do any of you know of a website I can find some?

I would give you some, but they aren't really of Shilo persay...and kinda inappropriate. lol
Shilo isn't to bad. It was cold during the summer, snow some days, but we had a good time. And it's even better when you go back as staff....good times there...lol

Shilo truly is not that bad.. 2 months there and a time you will not easily forget. Everything said about it is true, its got its good and bad points. Whoever said that about the hills is damn right. Suddenly you're in the training area and you're doing a night combat patrol down a steep incline where you're grabbing trees in the rain just so you dont slide all the way down and you're like where the heck did this thing come from.

I have some pictures from last summer, are you applying for 705 Ross? If so I'll get them for you when you arrive at the unit.

PteKec said:
Shilo isn't to bad. It was cold during the summer, snow some days, but we had a good time.

For the purpose of reference of the original poster asking the question... cold in Shilo is NOT the norm... Manitoba has a freak summer last summer... that being said, even if somone tells you to do somthing stupid, like not bring the liner for your combat jacket, because you won't need it, don't listen to them...better to have it and not wear it, then to not have it and end up freezing.

RossF said:

thanks,

-Ross

Hopefully this link works for you. It was created for our bmq/sq platoon from last summer.  http://basic0401.smugmug.com/

Just a Sig Op said:
... cold in Shilo is NOT the norm... Manitoba has a freak summer last summer...

Tell me about it, when I heard it snowed last summer we were all shocked. The summer before was HOT, got up to 50 degrees some days. And it rained like 3 times the entire summer. Freakish Manitoba weather...

Theoat said:
Hopefully this link works for you. It was created for our bmq/sq platoon from last summer.   http://basic0401.smugmug.com/

I was just looking through some of those pictures, and my mouth dropped open. That place is WAY too green to be Shilo.

Also, WRT to the hills in the trg area, I remember someone explaining that it used to be an artillery range back in the day.

Back