• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sigs Question

I worked as a sig op at CFB Comox (air force) in BC. However that was just for OJT and as a favor to have me near my kids. The sig ops posted there were working the message center and all had TONS of years in uniform. They also had been told to get ready to head to a "hard army" posting.  :salute:

Cnd Sig, you will probably remember the Career Manager talking about ship to shore ratio for the trade.  I have 11 yrs as a sig op and 11 yrs of field postings (I know all you bde guys would argue the rgmt is not a field posting but it is definitely not a static unit).  It is about time that some of these guys in these static postings for 10 or more years are sent to the field units so the rest of us get the chance for a rest.

This coming year will see a lot of people posted.  Normally we only see 80 postings a year but this year is suppose to be more than double that.

Rad op I agree that it is about time but some of those guys will be pretty hard to move out of those positions! They tend to grow roots on those cushy postings.lol. Some folks will be in for a bit of a rude awakening when they get posted.

I can tell you that Sig Ops can go to Air Force Bases. I was in Gander, NFLD...Air Force, Goose Bay Labrador...again..air force Base, and I was at NDHQ Ottawa. Now I am back at the school teaching the new Sigs. What the carreer managers would love to see is all blue guys on Air Force Bases, all green guys on Army bases but this is much harder to accomplish that they thought. Especially now that there are no more Tel Ops to work the message centers, the Rad Ops have to do it. So yeah, good chance on you getting posted to an Air Force base but not until you have done your time in the field to give the older guys in the trade a chance to take a break if they want it, unless you are a whiz at computers...which we also cover in our wonderfull trade.

sigspig said:
I can tell you that Sig Ops can go to Air Force Bases. I was in Gander, NFLD...Air Force, Goose Bay Labrador...again..air force Base, and I was at NDHQ Ottawa. Now I am back at the school teaching the new Sigs. What the carreer managers would love to see is all blue guys on Air Force Bases, all green guys on Army bases but this is much harder to accomplish that they thought. Especially now that there are no more Tel Ops to work the message centers, the Rad Ops have to do it. So yeah, good chance on you getting posted to an Air Force base but not until you have done your time in the field to give the older guys in the trade a chance to take a break if they want it, unless you are a whiz at computers...which we also cover in our wonderfull trade.

What field time do you have?  Three static bases in 17 yrs svc.  I have been asking to teach at the school and they say I am too close to being a Sgt so they won't post me there.  I want to go to 1 Bde so they posted me to Pet.  I again asked for 1 Bde and they posted me to CFJSR.  Not cushy postings but I loved my time in all these locations.  (not to mention 6 yrs with the infantry as an infanteer)  I love the field work but my body is not recovering nearly as fast as I would like now a days.  Oh well, I asked for an RFTA position and I will probably get Europe, lol.  (boy would I be upset with that, lol) :p

Radop

You must have a career manager that is some how related to the SOB that I had.  Out of the 3 choices for posting, I always got #4 or 5.

lol, we have someone this year that I actually trust.  Hopefully, I will get a "good go" on my next posting.  I know ex tel ops that have never been to the field that are serving overseas right now.  The new career manager says that you have to serve at the Bde and Regt before he will look at you for an overseas posting.  I love that.

Another poster said that the Navy posns are all shore billets and that is correct. Also correct is the fact they are taking them all back and moving their own pers in. So can you serve with the Navy..not really. Air force is the same, you might get to an air base but you won't be doing air force things. Message center is right..ahhhh... but here again the message centers are all due to be closed. Ooops that's out too... guess what ...you are left with being in the field.  :p 
If you want to play with the .50 go to the field..that's where they all are! If you go to a battalion you will most likely get your MG course and get all the time on a machine gun you will ever want.

Just a Sig Op said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to get behind a .50Cal... if going to sea would give me even a slight chance, I'll take it.

I was lucky, this close from getting to fire one. Our unit latched on to a gun camp being fun by the 48th, but they canned the 50 cal due to too many people in the training area. Got to fire the Carl G though  :p

If you want to fire a 50 cal, why don't you go out with the infantry.  Latch on a guy from one unit and try to go out with them for a range practice when they go out even if you volunteer to go as support or GD.  They will ussually let you fire a half belt or so.

Just a quuick question I am curious about, I'll post it here rather than making a new thread for it.... As a SigOp, do you get the chance to ride in a helicopter on your SQ or other training exercizes?

-Ross

Canadian Sig said:
We have done Helo insertions durring patrol ex's in Pet.   :salute:

Ohh that's good to hear, I'm really looking forward to that. But there's no helo action on BMQ/SQ in Shilo? ...curiousity is killing me on so many questions lol, even though they'll all be answered soon enough!

RossF said:
Ohh that's good to hear, I'm really looking forward to that. But there's no helo action on BMQ/SQ in Shilo? ...curiousity is killing me on so many questions lol, even though they'll all be answered soon enough!

Helicopters in Shilo? Dude, this is the Canadian army you're joining here  ;D Maybe later on in your career, if you're lucky.

If you post into Edmonton or Pet you have a shot at being around/ riding in/working with choppers. We supply sigs to the TAc Hel Sqn's.

RossF said:
Just a quuick question I am curious about, I'll post it here rather than making a new thread for it.... As a SigOp, do you get the chance to ride in a helicopter on your SQ or other training exercizes?

-Ross

You want to fly ?  here's a hint : JOIN THE AIR FORCE !!!!

Well I realized the air force is for flying...but army boys fly in choppers as well, and that's what I was asking about.

I've been flown around in a few, usually to get dropped places that were inaccesable via ground transport.  It just usually means you're really getting stuck out in the sticks. 

In short, no, you will not get a chance to ride in a helicopter during an SQ course. SQ is about occupying defensives, and about light support weapons.

Have fun in Shilo... lovely place.

Good 'ol **ithole Manitoba, Canada's *ss hole. Lovely place indeed...blah ::)

Back