• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should married couples be in the same uniform?

annemarielyman

Inactive
Reaction score
My husband is joinin the armt as 411-Veh Tech and is wanting to go into an armoured division. I want to join as 121- Met Tech but from all info I have gather this is only an airfoce MOC. I did find info stating that Met Tech's can be posted with army divisions.

I was just wondering how important it is that we are in the same uniform? I don't want to do anything that would possibly interfere with him being posted to an armoured division or would find us posted on opposite side of the country for years.

I have other MOC's that I'm interested in but 121 is my first choice.

Thanks.

Vehicle techs wear the army uniform but are commonly posted to airforce bases in small numbers.  There's a need for them everywhere.  If you are planning on going a hard airforce trade (a trade that is only posted to airforce bases as opposed to someone that's a supply tech, for example, wearing the airforce uniform) I would be doubtful of the viability of him being posted to an armoured unit unless you are okay with the separation.  Perhaps you might choose another trade that's commonly posted to land bases such as weapons tech or MAT tech. 

Also, your husband won't get to choose whether he's going to an armoured unit or not so he might end up at an airforce base after all.

Let me put it to you this way.......  

My ex-wife is 911 supply tech..there are supply techs everywhere so it made it easy to get posted together.  121 Met usualy hang around air force units.......except for tac hel sqns...air force units are not colocated with army units.  If he wants to go to an armoured unit...which is not guaranteed he will get, your MOC may not be able to post you in the same location. Thats the gamble you take in being a service couple. He may very well be posted somewhere's else than an armoured regiment so you should think about your MOC choices to make it easyer to be posted to the same location.  One perfect example is one of my old bosses was 043 engineers and his wife was a radar tech ( air force) they were posted in petawawa , ont for him and her in greenwood cuz there were no radar tech in petawawa !!!  Whatever you do...choose wisely !

Thanks for the info maybe I'll look at some other options. I'm just afraid of getting stuck in an office all day completing form after form, I've done that and it gets boring really fast.

MAT (Materials) Technician is an EME trade.   MET Tech-121 is Meteorological Technician, an airforce trade.

What are your other choices annemarielyman?

The only other option I could find was 911 - Supply Tech. It doesn't interest me as much though.

I'm not sure if I'll be limited by my size at all. I'm 27 yrs. old, 5'3", 100 lbs.

My background is strictly aviation. (I'm a Turboprop Maint. Planner.)

The good new is that I'm not rushed. I have to wait for my husband to complete his training first.

At the moment I'm focusing on physical strengthening. I have no problem with anything except for push ups (I still have to do them on an angle).

If you can offer an job suggestions, let me know. Thanks again.

Perhaps you could describe your current job a bit more.  Other than it has to do with planes, what do you do?  Do you actually do the maintanance?  Are you set on staying within your current area, ie. aviation or are you willing to try something different?

I plan and track all scheduled maintenance, ensure compliance to all regulations, assign tasks, track all life limit and calibrated items, monitor airworthiness directives and service bulletins, deal with Transport Canada and so on.

I know that I cannot continue with this in the CF as I would have to start as an Aviation Systems Tech. and work my way up. According to the recruiter this would take years. Also, that would assure that I was no where near my husband. I understand that we will be apart for lengths of time. But I don't want to encourage it. Plus, it would be difficult on our son.

I just want to find something interesting and challenging. I loved the thought of meteorology or radar, but again these are Air Force trades.

Thanks.

Given the continual shortage of RMS Clerks and the fact that all units need them, I would imagine that would be a pretty good bet - but only oif your primary motivation is to be co-located with hubby...

If you don't want to be in an office don't go clerk.  They have an important job but their's is mostly paperwork.

You shouldn't have too much trouble if you went any of the other EME trades or even vehicle tech as well. 

Sorry to sound inexperienced but what is EME.

Also, given my size would i be able to cut it as a Vehicle Tech.

I have met and worked with met veh techs of all sizes..........you wouldnt have a problem there!

EME is short for electrical and mechanical engineers , the branch of the military that includes veh techs.

If you are going to wait and let hubby do his training first, this can be to you advantage.  If he gets posted to petawawa, edmonton or gagetown, you may very well be able to try for met tech...but as usual...nothing is for certain, as i said before there is a certain amount of gamble involved in what you want to do.

Cheers

Back