• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Service Dress - Right On!

IntlBr

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright, lead in to this is an Army News video, so here it is:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=2342

You'll notice that the P&D fellows we sent over are all dressed in the fantastic Service Dress (No.2s) of the British Army.

My only question.... How in the heck?  If it appears on the Army News - It must be legit!  ;)

I think these uniforms are much, much better than our current rifle green DEU.  Any thoughts on this?  The only times I've heard Service Dress for us mentioned in the past, everyone has given nods of approval - but certainly, this isn't "approved", is it?

49th Battalion Pipes & Drums

The 49th Battalion Pipes & Drums is a re-enactment of the historical pipe band originally established in the 49th Battalion in 1915, before that unit went overseas.

In the spirit of paying tribute to the tradition of Edmonton's military pipe bands, the band wears the badge of the pipe band of the 1st Battalion, The Edmonton Regiment, established in 1920.

The band is made up entirely of serving members of The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, the present-day militia unit whose members are proud to wear the "49" on their cap badge.

See also http://www.49thbattalion.ca/bandtoday.html

The band is not funded by the Regiment or by the Canadian Forces.  Band activities are separate from Regimental duties and members are not paid to play.

In 2004 the band's fundraising arm, The Black Hackle Foundation, began outfitting the band with drums and uniforms.  The band's unique historical uniforms are based on the World War I service dress of non-commissioned members.
The khaki tunics are tailor-made by a small local shop, and follow the WWI pattern worn by the original band.  The kilts are handmade locally and are of Government tartan, more commonly known as Black Watch.
Members also wear the rank insignia in effect during World War I, and the hat badge of the pipe band of the 1st Battalion, The Edmonton Regiment, from 1920.  Their sporrans feature reproductions of the original 49th Battalion unit badge from 1915.

Welcome to the power of Google.

Ah, touche!

I didn't google it, because I thought there may be some provision in the Dress Regulations authorizing it.

Thank you sir.

Most units have the "luxury" of applying for permission to wear older pre unification patterns of service dress.

That's how the RCHA band, R22R, PPCLI & RCR have all gotten honour guards that are back to wearing scarlets - with either a white Pith helmet or a Bearskin... however - exdcluding the bands, believe that these uniforms are all "not at government expense"

geo said:
Most units have the "luxury" of applying for permission to wear older pre unification patterns of service dress.

That's how the RCHA band, R22R, PPCLI & RCR have all gotten honour guards that are back to wearing scarlets - with either a white Pith helmet or a Bearskin... however - exdcluding the bands, believe that these uniforms are all "not at government expense"

Ahhh bearskin ... back to that fur on soldiers bit again ...

NO!!!  ;)

geo said:

If I am correct, all those uniforms still have to comply with "Sealed Patterns" that are kept at DHH.

As for funding; all those uniforms are NPP (Non-Public Property) and bought through funds the Units have raised.  In the case of the Regular Force Units, it is usually funds raised by the Regimental Associations or Guilds.

I always felt the Army dropped the ball when we went back to distinctive uniforms. There was an opportunity to use the current pattern in the khaki colour.

George Wallace said:
If I am correct, all those uniforms still have to comply with "Sealed Patterns" that are kept at DHH.

As for funding; all those uniforms are NPP (Non-Public Property) and bought through funds the Units have raised.  In the case of the Regular Force Units, it is usually funds raised by the Regimental Associations or Guilds.

Sealed patterns?  Certainly historical pattern that has been used in the past.... but, it's always gotta be blessed by DHH and the dress committee.

NPP..... think that's the same as "not at government expense" isn't it?  ???

geo said:
Sealed patterns?  Certainly historical pattern that has been used in the past.... but, it's always gotta be blessed by DHH and the dress committee.

NPP..... think that's the same as "not at government expense" isn't it?  ???

NPP = Non Public Property. That pretty much says "not at government expense" in my books.

Just as "historical pattern that has been used in the past.... but, it's always gotta be blessed by DHH and the dress committee" pretty much says "all those uniforms still have to comply with "Sealed Patterns" that are kept at DHH."

You boys can hug now; glad to have been of service.

>:D

ModlrMike said:
I always felt the Army dropped the ball when we went back to distinctive uniforms. There was an opportunity to use the current pattern in the khaki colour.

- The tan Army Service dress (1988 - 1998) was the best uniform they issued, in my opinion.

TCBF said:
- The tan Army Service dress (1988 - 1998) was the best uniform they issued, in my opinion.

Oh gawd ... see through in the rain ... draining the complexion of pale-faced red heads. Horrible!!

But the boys did look hot in them --- especially if they were wearing SSF footwear and funny coloured berets. Right spiffy they were.  >:D

(Although I much preferred it over the absolutely see-through damned AF DEU shirt!!  :mad:)

ArmyVern (Female type) said:
...But the boys did look hot in them --- especially if they were wearing SSF footwear and funny coloured berets. Right spiffy they were.  >:D...

- The boys who didn't look good in them were pear-shaped, and since pear-shaped people ran our army in 98, they got rid of the uniforms that accentuated their shame.

ModlrMike said:

I totally agree.  Khaki would be much more historically significant to the Army, not to mention a lot better looking.  Those lime green shirts are horribly ugly, particularly in short sleeves.  Hopefully somebody in the right place will see to a re-design soon.  There was mention awhile ago of developing an more intermediate weight uniform, since getting rid of the tans, but nothing further ever came about. 

Oh gawd ... see through in the rain ... draining the complexion of pale-faced red heads. Horrible!!

But the boys did look hot in them --- especially if they were wearing SSF footwear and funny coloured berets. Right spiffy they were.  >:D

Thanks.

I don't have as much hair now - but I could probably dig up the old Tans - I KNOW I have the SSF footwear and funny coloured beret around.

Roy Harding said:
Thanks.

I don't have as much hair now - but I could probably dig up the old Tans - I KNOW I have the SSF footwear and funny coloured beret around.

Probably in your shop --- hanging next to the snowshoes. You eating donairs right now by any chance?? Just submitted essay, now I'm starving.

I always thought the guy that designed the ladies AF DEU shirt should have got a medal for improving my moral, although it did little to improve my morales!  >:D

eurowing said:
I always thought the guy that designed the ladies AF DEU shirt should have got a medal for improving my moral, although it did little to improve my morales!  >:D

Yeah, and in my particular case, I would have indeed done very little for you!!

You never saw girls so happy to shop and be willing to depart with hard earned dollars. Buying those AF windbreakers at Canex as soon as they were authorized for wear I tell you we set records!! Instead of the normal two minutes to reach the store to shop -- it took us 45 seconds. It was raining that day.  ;)

Probably in your shop --- hanging next to the snowshoes.

Prob'ly -  but the Tans aren't there.

You eating donairs right now by any chance??

Maybe - had a couple yesterday.  Who wants to know?

Sorry for the hijack (NOT)!

Back