• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Senate page fired for anti-Harper protest

N. McKay said:
No, it's perfectly possible to protest the actions, or planned actions, of a government without attempting to de-legitimize the election that put them in power.  The right to protest is an essential part of that very institution.  Surely you don't feel that, the election having been won, all other opinions should be shut down until the next go 'round four years later on the premise that the majority has spoken.

To be clear, I condemn the timing and location of this individual's protest, and besides that I was never a fan of theatrics.  Public employees must always act in a non-partisan way, and any sort of protest on the floor of the Senate -- and in the face of the Governor General -- is absolutely not on.

While it is perfectly legitimate to protest the actions or planned actions of the government, there are times and places which I think we all can agree on.

What is pernicious is the suggestion that the election outcome is somehow illegitimate (that old 60% canard) and that the Canadian people should somehow rise up and physically displace the elected government (which is the actual meaning of calling for an uprising modeled on the Arab Spring). You can easily mock the illegitimate result myth by pointing out that 81.8% of voters voted against the NDP, 73.8% voted against the Liberals and a whopping 93.2% of the voters were against the Green Party, but calling for the overthrow of the government (however you try to pretty up the wording) is not only wrong, it is legally questionable as well (although we have seen little evidence of this or any other Canadian government actually applying laws against sedition, treason or other activities directed against the State).

Hammer Sandwich said:
Edit..why do the applicants have to go to;

(Carleton University, Saint-Paul University, University of Ottawa and Université du Québec en Outaouais)?

I'm assuming because those are the only universities local to the Ottawa area.  It wouldn't exactly make sense for a page to go to the University of Toronto and fly up to Ottawa whenever they're needed for page duties.

Hammer Sandwich said:
Edit..why do the applicants have to go to;

(Carleton University, Saint-Paul University, University of Ottawa and Université du Québec en Outaouais)?

Let me answer your question with another question:

What do all of these universities have in common ?

Silverfire said:
I'm assuming because those are the only universities local to the Ottawa area.  It wouldn't exactly make sense for a page to go to the University of Toronto and fly up to Ottawa whenever they're needed for page duties.

Makes sense to me.

(Didn't know).

Thanks.

(Damn...I was all ready to spout vitriol against chosen schools....)

Hammer Sandwich said:
Genuinely didn't know.

Just asking.

I didn't know either until you asked. I had to read the list a few times before figuring it out.

It's literally in the same sentence:
To be eligible for the Page Program, candidates must: 

a)  Be full-time students pursuing their first undergraduate degree in one of the four National Capital Region universities ( Carleton University, Saint-Paul University, University of Ottawa and Université du Québec en Outaouais );
I guess you got some of that vitriol in your eye.

Rheostatic said:
It's literally in the same sentence:I guess you got some of that vitriol in your eye.

Nope, thumbed back the hammer back just in time.... ;)

(don't worry though, I'll have it stored up for another occasion...)

Thucydides said:
While it is perfectly legitimate to protest the actions or planned actions of the government, there are times and places which I think we all can agree on.

What is pernicious is the suggestion that the election outcome is somehow illegitimate (that old 60% canard) and that the Canadian people should somehow rise up and physically displace the elected government

Agreed on both points.

WOW!  Massive anti-Harper protest organized by our young Page Protester.

You can always tell by the size of the crowd how much support you really have for your ideas.

"The march, initially numbering 200 people but swelling to over 300, caused some disruptions for Ottawa commuter traffic.

"More than 40 community organizations from Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Kingston and Vancouver have endorsed the march,"

40 organizations from 5 cities and the best they can do is 300 activist/protesters.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/06/10/ottawa-protest-pm-spech.html

Because "Canadians don't support the Harper agenda" according to our young, wise page.

Haletown said:
WOW!  Massive anti-Harper protest organized by our young Page Protester.

You can always tell by the size of the crowd how much support you really have for your ideas.

"The march, initially numbering 200 people but swelling to over 300, caused some disruptions for Ottawa commuter traffic.

"More than 40 community organizations from Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Kingston and Vancouver have endorsed the march,"

40 organizations from 5 cities and the best they can do is 300 activist/protesters.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/06/10/ottawa-protest-pm-spech.html

Because "Canadians don't support the Harper agenda" according to our young, wise page.

Looks like Brigette and a reunion of the golden girls.

How can one take these twits seriously?  They had their opportunity on 2 May 2011 to exercise their Rights and vote for the Members of Parliament that they preferred.  As a larger number voted in the current Government, this essentially makes all of their claims invalid.  If they don't believe in the Democratic Process, then I would suggest they leave and emigrate to a nation that does not support Democratic values.

My generation seems to be turning out to be one of spoiled cry babies.  :(

It's scary that these individuals can't do simple math, maybe they didn't pay too much attention in Civics/Social Studies class?

George Wallace said:
If they don't believe in the Democratic Process, then I would suggest they leave and emigrate to a nation that does not support Democratic values.

I hear Egypt's nice this time of year.

Send them to Libya and see if they carry on demanding we get out !!

CDN Aviator said:
Send them to Libya and see if they carry on demanding we get out !!

Why not both?

If the system is so terrible and corrupted in Canada......I would Love to send the "DePapschmeer clones" over to places like;

Libya,

Egypt,

hell, why not Afghanistan?

(sorry to sound like a crusty, bitter basturd, but I'm becoming one quickly with crap like this)

You go do your good over there, friends!

Let us know how it turns out.

Here is Brigette DePape's counterpart in the business world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyrFWbGiGOc&feature=player_embedded#at=12

[/savage mockery]

Thucydides said:
Here is Brigette DePape's counterpart in the business world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyrFWbGiGOc&feature=player_embedded#at=12

[/savage mockery]

:rofl:
Holy God, that was painful....

Back