• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Senate page fired for anti-Harper protest

The title of this thread is wrong, decietful and a fabrication.

The attention whore wasn't fired for an anti Harper protest. She was fired for being a self serving idiot that broke her rules of employment.

The OP should either go to work for the CBC or edit the title.

If you can't edit, ask a Staff member to do it for you.

helpup said:
unfortunately there are going to be many who are proud of her.

I wonder if any of those who are proud of her, and encouraging her, are going to put food on her table and a roof over her head?

Do they not teach "cause and effect" in our school systems any more?

It's not as if she didn't get advice about this sort of thing, specifically after the G-20 protests:
.... My Dad told me that protesting at the G20 was unproductive and ineffective. I was crushed. Suddenly, riding in my parents’ car, I felt powerless. He was not the only one sending this message to his children.  Many of my friends received similar text messages from their parents as well. In Toronto, discussing alternatives in the caravan with other activists, and holding my sign proudly on the streets of Toronto, I felt like we were changing things. But at home I began to question whether or not we were making any difference at all. Perhaps we just had the illusion of change because we were surrounded by like-minded people. When my Dad asked me “what did the protests change?” I didn’t have an answer. They certainly did not change the G20 agenda.

But my question for him and his generation is: what will change things, then?  If protesting is meaningless, as he suggests, what can we do to create a more just society?

Surely my parents and others are concerned about the same issues we are.  But what are they doing about it?  Too often they don’t challenge them directly and they don’t encourage their kids to do so either.  My dad reminds me that some choose to work quietly at incremental change rather than taking to the streets.  But has that worked?

Would it be better if people did not protest at all? What if we all stayed in our comfortable homes, transfixed to our big screen TVs, ignoring the reality around us?  Should we really just accept the status quo that makes the poor, poorer and allows the environmental destruction that is ruining our planet? Where are all the people who protested in the 60’s and 70’s that inspired many of today’s activists?  Have they given up on fighting for their ideals?  I fear that too many people from my parents’ generation have abandoned their ideals because they think eliminating poverty or weaning ourselves off our oil addiction just isn’t ‘realistic’ .....
Looking forward to hearing how her.... approach? .... in Parliament works to get change.  ::)

recceguy said:
The title of this thread is wrong, decietful and a fabrication.

The attention ***** wasn't fired for an anti Harper protest. She was fired for being a self serving idiot that broke her rules of employment.

The OP should either go to work for the CBC or edit the title.

If you can't edit, ask a Staff member to do it for you.

When starting a thread on a certain news story, I always us the title of the web article I am posting about.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

"I fear that too many people from my parent's generation have abandoned their ideals because they think eliminating poverty or weaning ourselves off our oil addiction just isn't realistic ....."

from her own words she has the answer and yet in her youth does not see it.

Most of those who while young or able to afford to take the time not making ends meet.  Protested, marched or caused some grief.  Heck there are fine examples of that happening today.  But in the places where change is occurring, "Arab Spring" I think she called it.  There was a fundamental reason why that was needed.  Their system was not working.  Too many people were not being looked after, fed, employed, tortured, killed, abused, restricted in "rights".  So despite security forces that were there to prevent it.  They had momentum and numbers of the disaffected on their side.  That momentum got to the point that even those who were benefiting from the status quo started to side with the disenfranchised. 

In North America her parents generation did protest for things they felt were valid.  Most of them were not far out of Mom or Dad's embrace and had them to fall back on.  They were in University or just ducking out of society for what ever reason.  They were not worried about getting food on the plate, warm clothes, or a place to stay.  Mom, Dad friends and family were always there.  Back then their parents didn't need to Dumpster dive for food to live or send their children to a dump in order to scratch out a living.  Hell due to the pill allot of their parents did not even have kids to worry about when they were 20 and having sex for a while. 

Eventually allot of her parents generation realized that they did not mind all that society had to offer.  They began to have less time to be altruistic on everything as they needed to work to pay the bills........ In other words they grew up. 

I still remember being a child and having dreams about what should be what when I was playing with my toys.  Then as I got older I stopped playing with those toys but still had dreams about how things should be.  With those dreams I also had a teenagers conviction that I had all the answers.  That thankfully morphed into being an adult and realizing that I didn't have all the answers, but as a member of a working society I could help provide them.

There is change needed in the world, it does happen. Heck there are things that could be improved in Canada, but before you go there, try heading outside of this country to the less fortunate areas of the world,  Live in their shoes for a lengthy time before coming to the conclusion you need to forsake your duties and obligations and a person working for the Government.  I guess I am just saying she needs to grow up.

Canadian Springs happened several times:

In the 1980's, we broke free of the crippling theory of mercantile economics and embraced free trade.

In the 1990's, the digital revolution swept Canadian workplaces, educational institutions and governments

In the 2000's, economic and demographic changes shifted power to Western Canada, culminating in the Conservative government achieving a majority in 2011.

In the next decade, the Welfare State will collapse through excessive debt, and a new social order will emerge. In the 2030's, the demographic bust will radically change the Canadian landscape. A possible outcome of that will be Americans immigrating to Canada seeking the high paying jobs market shortages will generate and the evolution of a Canadian Republic as they displace the aged Canadian "elites" in positions of power and influence. I'm sure she will be alive to see that transition.

How many more "Canadian Springs" would she like to see?

My dad reminds me that some choose to work quietly at incremental change rather than taking to the streets.  But has that worked?

Obviously she is a halfwit who has never bothered to read any history.  I am sure that she is not a Feminist as she seems to have no knowledge of the Suffrage Movement that worked so hard to get women the "Right to Vote" and attend university, etc.  No doubt she also believes that the chicken, ribs and fish that she purchases in the grocery store are naturally found wrapped in Saran wrap and no animals were harmed in the production of her meal.

George Wallace said:
Obviously she is a halfwit who has never bothered to read any history.  I am sure that she is not a Feminist as she seems to have no knowledge of the Suffrage Movement that worked so hard to get women the "Right to Vote" and attend university, etc.  No doubt she also believes that the chicken, ribs and fish that she purchases in the grocery store are naturally found wrapped in Saran wrap and no animals were harmed in the production of her meal.

They're not are they? Please tell me the poor little critters did not die for the greedy MAN!!!  ::)

George Wallace said:
No doubt she also believes that the chicken, ribs and fish that she purchases in the grocery store are naturally found wrapped in Saran wrap and no animals were harmed in the production of her meal.

She probably does not eat meat............

CDN Aviator said:
at least, not in public.

Like terps in Bosnia and Afghanistan during Ramadan lol

She went to Ottawa U, ANYTHING she says political are simply regurgitation from her profs.  Put her in front of someone 1 on 1 and ask her her about what shes spouting off and she'll crumble faster than  feta cheese.

Put her in front of someone 1 on 1 and ask her her about what shes spouting off and she'll crumble faster than  feta cheese
I doubt it, these people are usually the ones recycling rhetoric and using circular logic to prove their point and are usually too stubborn or ignorant to even hear the opposing side, let alone rationally consider that there may be a valid alternative view.  Or maybe I'm just way too cynical after going to university in Ottawa...

Simian Turner said:
This reminds me of the Flight attendant story.  I wish her luck in finding a real job as a university grad.  Now she can hug trees full-time.
Funny you should mention that....
Michael Moore, the high-profile American activist and filmmaker, has offered a job to the Senate page who was fired Friday for her stunning protest against Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Moore, famous for films such as Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11, posted a link on Facebook offering her work after hearing that she was fired.

"For a young person to do that and to do it peacefully, and quietly and with grace, I thought it was a very powerful moment," Moore told The Canadian Press on Sunday from New York.

"Every now and then there is an iconic moment where an individual takes action, and it inspires others to think about, you know, what else would we be doing."

Moore has become 21-year-old Brigette DePape's most prominent supporter, posting a photo on his website showing her holding up a "Stop Harper" sign in the Senate chamber during Friday's throne speech.

The prominent filmmaker and left-leaning political commentator has been a leading voice against big corporations, gun ownership, the Iraq War, and the American health care system. He is a longtime critic of Harper's Conservatives, routinely urging Canadian voters to vote for another party.

When contacted with news of Moore's support, DePape reacted with excitement — even briefly breaking into a giggle with a friend — before regaining her composure.

"It's nice to have the support of people who think critically," DePape said by phone on Sunday ....
Is there a "puked a bit in my mouth" smiley?  More at CBC.ca here.

I was torn between posting this here or in the CBC bias thread, but here goes.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/06/page-protest-was-it-appropriate.html

A poll asking the question whether or not she behaved appropriately. At the time of posting:
YES - 57.22%
NO - 39.77%
I don't know - 3.01%

The comments are equally as painful such as this little gem posted by reader Deeperpolitics
"I got so tired of the pro-war, bias being aired by CBC and the Federal Government that I started writing and compiling articles, stories and research that reveal the sinister side to these illegal wars in the Middle East..."

p.s. What is the flight attendant story?

Sapperian said:
p.s. What is the flight attendant story?

Google: "flight attendant quits"

Sapperian said:
I was torn between posting this here or in the CBC bias thread, but here goes.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/06/page-protest-was-it-appropriate.html

A poll asking the question whether or not she behaved appropriately. At the time of posting:
YES - 57.22%
NO - 39.77%
I don't know - 3.01%
The comments are equally as painful such as this little gem posted by reader Deeperpolitics
"I got so tired of the pro-war, bias being aired by CBC and the Federal Government that I started writing and compiling articles, stories and research that reveal the sinister side to these illegal wars in the Middle East..."

Hmmmm....almost exactly what the opinion polls show as support for the Conservatives.....

Driving in Port Stanley in Southwestern Ontario yesterday every stop sign has "harper" spray painted under stop.  ::)

Back