• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seaforth Armoury update & new HQ for 39 Canadian Brigade Group.

Emilio

Inactive
Reaction score
Seaforth Armoury updated and new HQ for the 39 Canadian Brigade Group.
By Jeremy Nuttall, 24 hour news Vancouver
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/08/07/seaforth-armoury-upgrade-officially-announced

Six months after the project began, the federal government announced a $40-million project to upgrade the Seaforth Armoury in Vancouver.

The Department of National Defence made the announcement Wednesday, saying the upgrades will also result in the Jericho Armoury being relocated to the Seaforth location just on the south side of the Burrard Street Bridge.

The Jericho Armoury will then be “divested,” said a military spokesman.

Of the funds, $31.2 million will be for the construction of a new building and the remaining $9.3 million will go towards upgrading the existing structure, built in 1910.

Robert Nicholson, minister of National Defence, was on hand for the announcement, but did not take questions from the media about the project.

A spokesman for the military said Nicholson would not take questions due to “timings for other activities.”

Lt.-Col. Scott Raesler, commanding officer of the Seaforth Highlanders, said the project had already been started prior to the announcement for the sake of speed. Tenders and planning started six months ago and builders broke ground in June.

“There was a desire to get on with this project and make it happen as quickly as possible without necessarily waiting for the minister to make the appropriate announcement just given his schedule,” said Raesler.

The new four-storey building will be used for a variety of support organizations, as well as the headquarters for the 39 Canadian Brigade Group, according to the Department of National Defence.

The single contract for the project was awarded to Vancouver-based Carillion Pacific Construction.

So I take it that this means all of the Jericho garrison is gone rather than a single building ? the last vestiges of RCAF Station Jericho Beach should be worth some $

answering my own question

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/15/bc-jericho-lands-sale.html

Edit: to answer my own question

Uh the Seaforths are just going to love sharing with HQ......

What is the status of the Seaforth properties, I always thought the building and land was owned by the Association?

I'm pretty sure that all of the militia drill halls are owned by the DND.

Its not so bad, they're just sharing the lot. They still get separate buildings.

A militia unit sharing a parking lot with an HQ sucks...

They'll build the parking lot just big enough for the reasonable assumption that both groups will not typically be using it at the same time.

Suddenly  every arsehole in the HQ with a can of spray paint has a designated parking spot, that will never be occupied by their intended users on a parade night, so the parking lot is half empty, but you still can't find a spot to park.

God forbid anyone park in spots belonging to 8-4 workers in the evening, lest ye bring down the great wrath of the parking nazis.

Many years ago I was the Health Services rep to the build project to ensure that 12 Fd Amb was included in the new armoury at the Seaforth site.  The plan they had come up with was insane.  They planned on putting a 13 story civilian apartment building on top of the rebuilt armoury.  They would use the money from the rent, and from the leases of civilian shop fronts along one side of the building to pay for the armoury.  The SMP parking was to be underground.... 

I asked the Project Manager a few questions:

Did he realize that any person on DND property is liable to search? That would include all the civilians on the apartments...
What was their plan to ensure that no 'radicals' rented out apartments, endangering the security of the facility (it was just after 9/11)?
If a vehicle broke down in the underground parking, was the ceiling high enough to ensure a wrecker could get in and tow an HLVW out?

They had no answers, but hell, they were going forward because it was a 'great idea' that would be a model for future build projects.  I'm so glad it died a rightful death.

This sounds like such a terrible idea on so many levels, it's unreal.

Did a search, couldn't find anything on here regarding this.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/commercial-real-estate/Jericho+Lands+Vancouver+finally+sold+deal+develop+high+real+estate/10252565/story.html

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/08/federal-government-approves-sale-of-jericho-garrison-lands/

It's an interesting idea that the "peoples" who made the land so valuable are not the "peoples" who get to claim the profits.

I just hope that this sale doesn't mean the Jericho Garrison is going to be shut down and demolished.

RedcapCrusader said:
I just hope that this sale doesn't mean the Jericho Garrison is going to be shut down and demolished.

That's been the plan all along and why they are spending a fortune renovating the Seaforth Armoury on Burrard St, which will house the Seaforths, Bde HQ and the Sigs.

I assume that the announcement of the sale means the move out of Jericho - which was at several points in time over the past 15+ years going to happen for sure - is going to happen for sure?

daftandbarmy said:
That's been the plan all along and why they are spending a fortune renovating the Seaforth Armoury on Burrard St, which will house the Seaforths, Bde HQ and the Sigs.

Right I had forgot about that project. 4 storey armoury, pretty snazzy. Will there be Quarters to accommodate overnight Res TRG?

Brad Sallows said:
I assume that the announcement of the sale means the move out of Jericho - which was at several points in time over the past 15+ years going to happen for sure - is going to happen for sure?

the negotiations with the FN were the main hurdle, now that is done, it's a matter of re-zoning and she is done.

Back