• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New military construction announced for Halifax

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Ottawa to build new Halifax armoury

No plans to tear down existing, historic site near Commons

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1146474-ottawa-to-build-new-halifax-armoury

OTTAWA — The Defence Department is building a new armoury in Halifax, but anyone worried about the fate of the historic existing armoury overlooking the Commons can breathe a sigh of relief.

The government has put out a tender looking for a company to design and build a new armoury at Willow Park, part of CFB Halifax off Windsor Street in the north end.

Construction is estimated to cost $38 million and the job is open for bidding for the next four weeks. The military says there is no timetable for having the armoury completed.

Armouries are mostly used to train reservists. Building a new one doesn’t mean the government is planning to tear down the existing armoury on North Park Street at Cunard.

Also known as the Halifax Drill Hall, the grand 78,500-square-foot building dates back to 1899 and is a National Historic Site.

“We don’t have any plans to get rid of the armoury or demolish it,” said army spokesman Mark Gough.

“We’re going to keep using it for, I can’t tell you what the end date will be, but for the foreseeable future.”

The government has recently sunk money into renovating the armoury.

But CFB Halifax has outgrown the armoury and there is a shortage of training space. To cope, the military has been leasing space.

The military plans to use both armouries once the new one is built. Gough said he didn’t know how many units would work out of the new building.

The Princess Louise Fusiliers, 36 Signals Regiment, 33 Medical Platoon and CFB Halifax Supply Detachment use the current armoury.

The first three groups are reserve units made up mostly of part-time soldiers. The Halifax Rifles Army Cadet Corps also uses the building.

The armoury is known for its red rock-faced stone exterior and Richardsonian Romanesque style. It was designed by Thomas Fuller, the chief architect at the Public Works Department at the time.

The building was declared a National Historic Site in 1989, in part because it is so much larger than other drill halls of its era. It was built to hold everything from lecture rooms to a bowling alley to an indoor shooting range, according to Parks Canada.

Maybe they should start by dusting off the armouries plan developed by the RCN in the 2000-2003 period. That plan fell through after they found that they had made two poor assumptions; one that the Army would chip in $26 million, and that Parks Canada would take the historic properties they wanted to replace (the Armouries and RA Park) off their hands.

So, who is to move into the Maj. Robert Campbell Risley Armoury when it is built?
Ottawa announces start of construction for 2 Halifax military projects
Global News
07 April 2014

HALIFAX – The federal government has announced the start of construction on two military projects in Halifax.

The first project is a housing and training facility for the junior ranks at Canadian Forces Base Halifax.

Aecon and SLI have been awarded that contract for $64.8 million.

The second project, worth $6.1 million, is going to PCL Constructors Canada for a new armoury in Bedford.

That facility will be named after Maj. Robert Campbell Risley, a native of Sydney, N.S., who was the first commanding officer of 5 Provost Company in 1947.

That unit later became the modern-day 3 Military Police Regiment.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1254877/ottawa-announces-start-of-construction-for-2-halifax-military-projects/

$65 million makes for one helluva facility...

Oh, wait. My bad. Government spending. Forgot.

Maybe for 36 CER and the Halifax Rifles?

Considering the current armoury houses: The Princess Louise Fusiliers, 36 Signals Regiment, 33 Medical Platoon and CFB Halifax Supply Detachment

Nevermind, seems the meat heads err... MP's are moving there....

Looks a lot like the Kingsmill building at Venture.

NFLD Sapper said:
Maybe for 36 CER and the Halifax Rifles?

Considering the current armoury houses: The Princess Louise Fusiliers, 36 Signals Regiment, 33 Medical Platoon and CFB Halifax Supply Detachment

Nevermind, seems the meat heads err... MP's are moving there....

It was my understanding that more then 3 MP Regt HQ would be moving in seeing as though they fit into a strip mall location now.  Somehow they got the naming rights at least.

Schindler's Lift said:
It was my understanding that more then 3 MP Regt HQ would be moving in seeing as though they fit into a strip mall location now.  Somehow they got the naming rights at least.

The new 2 581 m2 Major Robert Campbell Risley Armoury will house 3 Military Police Unit Headquarters and 30 Military Police Company.
The new armoury is named in memory of Major Robert Campbell Risley. Major Risley, a native of Sydney, Nova Scotia, was the first Commanding Officer of 5 Provost Company in 1947. This unit eventually became the modern-day 3 Military Police Regiment.

About time the old facilities need to be torn down. I see a new Seamanship Division complex is being built as well.

NFLD Sapper said:
So that means A-Block is gonna be torn down?

Looks that way, the new complex will be housing the mess, bring the galleys together, barbershop and a retail store. I heard the new sea div may go into the footprint of the drill hall.

Both projects have been discussed for the past four years. Sadly, I'm not in anymore to see the end result.

Hal Rif got their new armoury a couple years ago, no?

36 Sigs Rgt is down to what might amount to a skeleton crew at the old Halifax Armouries...nice old building, but holy hannah, I'm just waiting for it to crumble like my basement wall last weekend...

The best part is we don't have $$$$ to put fuel in the ships, but let's built something new!!
The hospital may also be affected, CSE/MSE might take part of that building!
But wait, what about parking????

1tech said:
The best part is we don't have $$$$ to put fuel in the ships, but let's built something new!!
The hospital may also be affected, CSE/MSE might take part of that building!
But wait, what about parking????

It is always easier to build buildings.
But Atlantic Block, the Drill Shed and Sea Div are all long past their best before dates and need their replacement.

Chief Stoker said:
Looks that way, the new complex will be housing the mess, bring the galleys together, barbershop and a retail store.

Am I to understand that the Fleet Club will be going in there too?  The press release refers to "dining, galley and mess hall" - but "A Galley" has traditionally referred to both the kitchen and the dining facilities. 

Occam said:
Am I to understand that the Fleet Club will be going in there too?  The press release refers to "dining, galley and mess hall" - but "A Galley" has traditionally referred to both the kitchen and the dining facilities.

Yes, it will be similar to Juno Towers. And it is being built on the current Fleet Club site.

Despite cuts to budgets, infrastructure still needs to be maintained and/or replaced.  Having spent a fair amount of time in and around the Dockyard, Stad, etc I have to say despite the looming budget cuts, this is likely spending that will pay off for years to come in terms of newer facilities and better QOL.  Anyone who's graced A Block or Wellington House knows they are pretty depressing to stay in for any amount of time.

I'd hazard a guess even if they weren't built this FY, the operating (fuel, etc) budget for the east coast would remain the same.

The Halifax Armouries is a Heritage building.

FSTO said:
Yes, it will be similar to Juno Towers. And it is being built on the current Fleet Club site.

Thanks.  I guess I have a few mixed feelings on that.  It's nice to see A Block finally being replaced after 60+ years, it was long past its best before date.  The Fleet Club was a nice facility with a large room that handled 500+, a beautiful deck with a view of Dartmouth, beach volleyball court and horseshoe pits, and lots of pool tables.  I hope the new facility isn't a step backwards.  The Fleet Club was one of the very few messes in Canada that enjoyed a pretty good level of financial success, mostly because of the many facets of the facility.

Back